And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 11, 2022, 12:07:28 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 11, 2022, 11:44:41 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 11, 2022, 10:26:31 AMCrime + whimsy = not guilty.

So Sweeney Todd gets a pass?  :hmm:
How is that whimsical?! :o :weep:

The part about making the victims into pies.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Jordan Peterson gained credibility by scoring empty net goals against the leftist political correctness.  Unfortunately, some people don't understand that scoring empty net goals doesn't make one a great soccer player, it just makes the other team bad at soccer, and they get a following and credibility that they don't deserve.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on July 11, 2022, 05:45:55 PMJordan Peterson gained credibility by scoring empty net goals against the leftist political correctness.  Unfortunately, some people don't understand that scoring empty net goals doesn't make one a great soccer player, it just makes the other team bad at soccer, and they get a following and credibility that they don't deserve.

Making free throws doesn't make one a great basketball player either, but it's a misnomer for most people.  :sleep:

Zanza

Quote from: Jacob on July 11, 2022, 06:04:53 PMFirst image from the Webb telescope: https://webbtelescope.org/contents/media/images/2022/038/01G7JGTH21B5GN9VCYAHBXKSD1
Here is a nice comparison with Hubble:

https://imgsli.com/MTE2Mjc3

Really cool that something in the works for 20 years finally delivers. Must be so satisfying for everybody involved.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 11, 2022, 10:26:31 AMCrime + whimsy = not guilty.

If I were defrauded of my wealth in a lighthearted and amusing manner I would hope the culprits were prosecuted.

I think a better rule might be a crime that defrauds a mark who gained his wealth in an illicit or immoral manner.  Like in The Sting.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2022, 02:34:26 PMYeah nothing wholesome and principled like the Russians. Their entire history screams goodness and light and strong cultural values.
Basically, just like other major and not so major powers. :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2022, 02:42:18 PMAnd then I later heard him say some stupid shit about outside of public health things like vaccines (hey at least he was pro-vaccine though who knows where he is on this now, this was a bit ago) modern medicine is stupid and it is more dangerous to go to the hospital than not go. Um...so...um...if I get a heart attack there is a better survival rate just to roll around on the floor than go to a hospital? Is that common sense and small c-conservative?

I don't know conservatives seem every against tried and true methods that have consistently helped people for centuries with provable results these days. Which is why I don't really understand what exactly they are conserving anymore.

But I admit I haven't spent much time listening to him, he just kind of shows up in my peripheral vision from time to time either saying things that are true in an uninteresting way or are super insane or sketchy.

So I suspect he will be elected to high office in the US soon. Fortunately he can never be President.
I began hearing about the dude because the left hated him.  So, he immediately seemed like a charming fellow. ;)

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on July 12, 2022, 07:51:14 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2022, 02:42:18 PMAnd then I later heard him say some stupid shit about outside of public health things like vaccines (hey at least he was pro-vaccine though who knows where he is on this now, this was a bit ago) modern medicine is stupid and it is more dangerous to go to the hospital than not go. Um...so...um...if I get a heart attack there is a better survival rate just to roll around on the floor than go to a hospital? Is that common sense and small c-conservative?

I don't know conservatives seem every against tried and true methods that have consistently helped people for centuries with provable results these days. Which is why I don't really understand what exactly they are conserving anymore.

But I admit I haven't spent much time listening to him, he just kind of shows up in my peripheral vision from time to time either saying things that are true in an uninteresting way or are super insane or sketchy.

So I suspect he will be elected to high office in the US soon. Fortunately he can never be President.
I began hearing about the dude because the left hated him.  So, he immediately seemed like a charming fellow. ;)

Yes...this is quite a problem with the right today.
Someone can be an absolute disaster- but they trigger teh libs so yay them.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Well, I finally moved and have been here an entire week.  I live 451 feet from a Chinese restaurant that is next door to a Sushi restaurant.  The owners come out everyday and argue over text books and stuff.  There's also a place that has a woman who exclusively takes pictures of the sky (Julia Sky Photography) and an owl butcher and furniture store (Barred Owl Butcher and Table).  I was struck how much this place resembles southern Mongolia.  It's flat, there is a Mongolian grill here, and there is a conspicuous absence of sharks, rays and skates.  Truly, this is the Dalanzadgad of the West!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on July 12, 2022, 07:51:14 AM

Yeah the fact that some people seem to hate him to an irrational degree is certainly a thing. I don't hate him, I just think he is a fool. The type of fool that seems to do very well these days though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on July 12, 2022, 07:47:35 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2022, 02:34:26 PMYeah nothing wholesome and principled like the Russians. Their entire history screams goodness and light and strong cultural values.
Basically, just like other major and not so major powers. :P

The Russians are just like everybody else, but more so. I think that saying sums it up perfectly.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on July 12, 2022, 10:45:28 AMWell, I finally moved and have been here an entire week.  I live 451 feet from a Chinese restaurant that is next door to a Sushi restaurant.  The owners come out everyday and argue over text books and stuff.  There's also a place that has a woman who exclusively takes pictures of the sky (Julia Sky Photography) and an owl butcher and furniture store (Barred Owl Butcher and Table).  I was struck how much this place resembles southern Mongolia.  It's flat, there is a Mongolian grill here, and there is a conspicuous absence of sharks, rays and skates.  Truly, this is the Dalanzadgad of the West!

Sounds reasonably okay :cheers:

What's the whole "arguing about textbooks" thing about?

Eddie Teach

I'm jealous you live next to a Mongolian grill.