News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 11, 2022, 10:26:31 AMCrime + whimsy = not guilty.

So Sweeney Todd gets a pass?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 11, 2022, 11:44:41 AM

Yes.

How do you think Jimmy Saville got away with things so long?
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Josquius on July 11, 2022, 11:56:32 AM

Yes.

I don't think his crime was whimsical.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2022, 11:58:12 AM
Quote from: Josquius on July 11, 2022, 11:56:32 AM

Yes.

I don't think his crime was whimsical.
His TV show sure was.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Let's ask Lord Peter Whimsy.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

I don't know if we have any Jordan Peterson fans on languish, but here he is arguing that the West is dangerously degenerate, that Russia attacked Ukraine to keep the morally degenerate West out of "a key part of the historically Russian sphere of influence" and that the reason we have a real war is due to the culture war in the West.

https://twitter.com/thebadstats/status/1546327386844606465

Josquius

He has a great talent for making stupid stuff sound intelligent.
Sometimes.
This doesn't seem to be one of those times.
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

The Russian rehab must have been more expensive than I thought.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Yeah.

I never quite go Jordan Peterson. I didn't see the rise, or the controversy. So I was very late to everything - I think just before the raw meat and rehab in Russia phase - and I don't understand any of what happened and I find it all a bit baffling.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 11, 2022, 02:23:48 PMI never quite go Jordan Peterson. I didn't see the rise, or the controversy. So I was very late to everything - I think just before the raw meat and rehab in Russia phase - and I don't understand any of what happened and I find it all a bit baffling.

So as a Canadian I got an early exposure to Peterson.

He rose to prominence in 2016 over opposition to adding "gender expression" to the Human Rights Code.  He claimed that would make using the wrong pronouns punishable by law.  That seemed kind of over-wrought.

I never watched any of his youtube videos, so I can't comment on those.

But then came his 2018 book !2 Rules for Life.  Again, never ready the book, but the excerpts and cummaries I read all made it sound very common sense, small-c conservative 'look after yourself' kind of stuff which is of the kind of thing I agree with.  The criticism of 12 rules frankly seemed unhinged.

Then there was the russia / raw meat phase, which seemed pretty darn crazy.

So I don't know where that leaves me on Peterson.  Philosophically I think I agree with his instincts.  But he's kind of hysterical on many points to where I don't wish to identify with him.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Yeah nothing wholesome and principled like the Russians. Their entire history screams goodness and light and strong cultural values.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on July 11, 2022, 02:33:13 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 11, 2022, 02:23:48 PMI never quite go Jordan Peterson. I didn't see the rise, or the controversy. So I was very late to everything - I think just before the raw meat and rehab in Russia phase - and I don't understand any of what happened and I find it all a bit baffling.

So as a Canadian I got an early exposure to Peterson.

He rose to prominence in 2016 over opposition to adding "gender expression" to the Human Rights Code.  He claimed that would make using the wrong pronouns punishable by law.  That seemed kind of over-wrought.

I never watched any of his youtube videos, so I can't comment on those.

But then came his 2018 book !2 Rules for Life.  Again, never ready the book, but the excerpts and cummaries I read all made it sound very common sense, small-c conservative 'look after yourself' kind of stuff which is of the kind of thing I agree with.  The criticism of 12 rules frankly seemed unhinged.

Then there was the russia / raw meat phase, which seemed pretty darn crazy.

So I don't know where that leaves me on Peterson.  Philosophically I think I agree with his instincts.  But he's kind of hysterical on many points to where I don't wish to identify with him.

My experience is he will say something like "there is no such thing as white privilege" and then go on to say many things that are not untrue and that I don't necessarily disagree with but have nothing to do with white privilege and then act like he somehow supported what he was saying. So I kind of end up more confused than impressed, which also left me a bit cautious that he was a dishonest dude. I mean how can you talk around an idea that you are specifically trying to disprove?

And then I later heard him say some stupid shit about outside of public health things like vaccines (hey at least he was pro-vaccine though who knows where he is on this now, this was a bit ago) modern medicine is stupid and it is more dangerous to go to the hospital than not go. Um...so...um...if I get a heart attack there is a better survival rate just to roll around on the floor than go to a hospital? Is that common sense and small c-conservative?

I don't know conservatives seem every against tried and true methods that have consistently helped people for centuries with provable results these days. Which is why I don't really understand what exactly they are conserving anymore.

But I admit I haven't spent much time listening to him, he just kind of shows up in my peripheral vision from time to time either saying things that are true in an uninteresting way or are super insane or sketchy.

So I suspect he will be elected to high office in the US soon. Fortunately he can never be President.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2022, 02:42:18 PMI don't know conservatives seem every against tried and true methods that have consistently helped people for centuries with provable results these days. Which is why I don't really understand what exactly they are conserving anymore.

Yeah, the embrace of anti-science conspiracy theories has me despairing the future of conservatism.  I mean WTF - vaccines have centuries of history behind them!

Such ideas were always an undercurrent of the right, but now it seems prevalent.  :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on July 11, 2022, 02:42:18 PM...

So I suspect he will be elected to high office in the US soon. Fortunately he can never be President.

I salute your faith in US political institutions. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.