News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I'll confess I only learned about the images tab on google a little while ago.  I've never looked at the news tab.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 04, 2021, 06:42:11 PM
I'll confess I only learned about the images tab on google a little while ago.  I've never looked at the news tab.

You know there are also tabs for videos, maps, and other stuff, right?  :P

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on February 04, 2021, 06:58:28 PM
You know there are also tabs for videos, maps, and other stuff, right?  :P

Yup

Grey Fox

Google signed a deal with France. It's all bluff now.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Yeah and Australia's the thin end of the wedge. Europe is coming on this and other issues with Google (as, frankly, is California and NY increasingly).
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on February 04, 2021, 01:36:42 PM
This is why this level of government is so out of sight out of mind.
Excellent timing with the local elections coming up :lol:
Gone down a rabbit hole and obviously the two awfully behaved men are part of the Ratepayers' Association (Independents) and associated with the Hands Off Handforth Green Belt pressure group <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I thought they looked like UKIPers.
More really needs be done to highlight their abuse of the independent label.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on February 04, 2021, 06:04:07 PM
Quote from: The Larch on February 04, 2021, 06:00:12 PM
I was starting to wonder what I had been using all these years...  :hmm:

Never used Google News, so I can't comment.

Here if you google something when you get the search results there are sub-tabs for All, News, Images, Video, Books and More.

If you hit News it takes you to search results from various news sources.

We have that, Google News is a different service that let's you browse news of the day from various sources, afaik.

Richard Hakluyt

Looking at google maps Handforth is a place of small detached houses; it is very near to Manchester airport and has a miniature railway. Clearly a place populated by Tories, kippers and retired accountants with Orcish tendencies. There may be a lot of golfers too.

So, from my point of view, the fifth circle of Hell.

Agelastus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 05, 2021, 03:37:42 AM

I can't find the proof online, but according to my closest source (my Aunt in Macclesfield), Handforth is where the Co-op held meetings involving their internal supply chain managers (at the least.) It is apparently where my grandfather, as manager of the Co-operative Corset Factory, had to go regularly.

[Apparently it was the only time he visited her instead of the other way round - if she was in.]
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Josquius

Looking at google maps Handforth is a place of small detached houses; it is very near to Manchester airport and has a miniature railway. Clearly a place populated by Tories, kippers and retired accountants with Orcish tendencies. There may be a lot of golfers too.

You're in Preston right?
The poster child for how to do local government right (or so sayeth the hype).
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Yeah, I do think the council is above average. The town is also on the mainline to London, just off the M6, has a big university, is the administrative centre of Lancashire and has British Aerospace plants. So we are doing quite well generally.

I don't think Westminster (or at least the Tory party) gets the difference between, say, Preston and Burnley or Newcastle and Sunderland. Hopefully the new intake of Northern tory MPs can raise the level of consciousness on this.

The Larch

Quote from: Agelastus on February 05, 2021, 04:00:06 AM

I can't find the proof online, but according to my closest source (my Aunt in Macclesfield), Handforth is where the Co-op held meetings involving their internal supply chain managers (at the least.) It is apparently where my grandfather, as manager of the Co-operative Corset Factory, had to go regularly.

[Apparently it was the only time he visited her instead of the other way round - if she was in.]

You have family in Macclesfield? My mother used to travel there quite a lot for work, back in the day.  :lol:

Sheilbh

South Manchester/Wilmslowy bit of Cheshire. V suspicious.
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

Quote from: The Larch on February 05, 2021, 05:51:40 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on February 05, 2021, 04:00:06 AM

You have family in Macclesfield? My mother used to travel there quite a lot for work, back in the day.  :lol:

Yep, most of what's left of my close family in the UK has, in general, migrated north (the exception being the Cambridge Lecturer who instead decided to go as rural as he could near Cambridge...and whose house is now, apparently, falling down.)

In my Aunt's case it was because of her job many, many years ago.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."