And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on September 29, 2020, 05:12:21 AM
That Mao :lol: :bleeding:

Have to think Marx would have known the West Ham question if he was from the era though

You made me check wether West Ham had already been founded while Marx resided in London. Alas, it wasn't founded until after his death. I thought all PL clubs were founded in the times of Agincourt or something.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on September 29, 2020, 07:37:31 AM

Have to think Marx would have known the West Ham question if he was from the era though

You made me check wether West Ham had already been founded while Marx resided in London. Alas, it wasn't founded until after his death. I thought all PL clubs were founded in the times of Agincourt or something.
Unrelated but I saw a legal role advertised at a football club recently and thought about advertising. Was messaging a few friends about them and all of them thought it sounded interest, with everyone adding the essential caveat, "unless it's West Ham" :lol: :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I also like that Ireland is leaving Britain.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 29, 2020, 07:50:42 AM
:lol:

England is the only one walking towards them, presumably to hire a few plumbers.

The Brain

Sweden also has a female equivalent. There was an old pun made to teach children, which used the fact that "här går man" ("here (is where) you walk") sounds just like "herr Gårman" ("Mr. Walkman"), supposedly the guy on the sign. Gårman isn't a Swedish last name but it sounds like it could be one. Long story short, this thing to help teach kids safety was not appreciated in later years, and so they made a female equivalent (which shows a person in a skirt, which has its own problems these days...). Other traffic signs with male figures (like Road work ahead) were not given female equivalents, so I don't know what the deal was.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Tbf, cursory googling says that Polish pedestrian signs look more or less like everybody else's, and not a guy standing still.

On a side note, I do appreciate that the former Soviets are the only ones going for a vague sense of tridimensionality.

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 29, 2020, 07:30:52 AM

I doubt many Germans would know that today.

You are missing the historical detail of him residing in London.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on September 29, 2020, 08:23:35 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 29, 2020, 07:30:52 AM

I doubt many Germans would know that today.

You are missing the historical detail of him residing in London.

For the majority of his life at that...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Though given he spent his time in Central and North London he'd be more likely to know them as a rival. He'd probably support Spurs, or one of the other early clubs like the Crouch End Vampires or N.N. (No Name) Club Kilburn.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 29, 2020, 08:32:50 AM
Though given he spent his time in Central and North London he'd be more likely to know them as a rival. He'd probably support Spurs, or one of the other early clubs like the Crouch End Vampires or N.N. (No Name) Club Kilburn.
I guess it depends where you subscribe on the was Marx an anti-semite question.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Vladimir Musaelyan, Brezhnev's personal photographer, has died aged 81. I feel like there's a TV series/film in the General Secretary and the Photographer. Especially given the aesthetics of some of his shots.

Eg. Brezhnev hunting:

Brezhnev swimming (I find the idea of Brezhnev suggesting to Brandt they take a dip a bit weird - do world leaders always take a swimming costume just in case? :hmm:):

Brezhnev chilling:

Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

I see that Spurs was founded in 1882 and Marx died in 1883. The nearest current premier league club to his stamping grounds is Arsenal, but surely they were down in Woolwich back in the day?

Anyway, Arsenal were not formed till 1886 so are out of the running.

I think we can assign him to Spurs and look forward to the inauguration of the Karl Marx stand at their new ground  :cool:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 29, 2020, 09:29:48 AM
I see that Spurs was founded in 1882 and Marx died in 1883. The nearest current premier league club to his stamping grounds is Arsenal, but surely they were down in Woolwich back in the day?

Anyway, Arsenal were not formed till 1886 so are out of the running.

I think we can assign him to Spurs and look forward to the inauguration of the Karl Marx stand at their new ground  :cool:
Yeah I discounted Arsenal given that they were South London at that point. But, despite their current approach, I think a football club founded by munitions factory workers would probably appeal to Marx.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Would Marx have appreciated football though? I can't really answer for England, but over here sports clubs were fostered by industrialists as a way to keep workers away from the booze and unions.