News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

I keep nagging my wife to buy me the Bismarck, no luck yet.

Syt

Would she prefer the Yamato?

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

But do they have the Schwerer Gustav.  :P

Grey Fox

They have a Titanic one too. It comes with a iceberg model.

Also a model of the Mayflower.

The Smithsonian collection is fun.

Thanks for the find Syt, my gf already hates you.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Its looking possible that a move south to Manchester might be on the cards.
First choice was Edinburgh but the different education system makes it hard for my gf to make that leap this year.

I've heard....mixed things. And my impressions of the city centre based on a brief visit weren't great.
But apparently its a really polycentric area and some bits are nice?
Though a car focused lifestyle does not appeal....

Anyone got any experience of the place?

And holy fucking hell.
Right as I typed the word Manchester a spotify advert for virgin trains started playing that said "So you want to go to Manchester...." :shock:
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on July 26, 2019, 04:42:02 PM
Its looking possible that a move south to Manchester might be on the cards.
First choice was Edinburgh but the different education system makes it hard for my gf to make that leap this year.

I've heard....mixed things. And my impressions of the city centre based on a brief visit weren't great.
But apparently its a really polycentric area and some bits are nice?
Though a car focused lifestyle does not appeal....

Anyone got any experience of the place?

And holy fucking hell.
Right as I typed the word Manchester a spotify advert for virgin trains started playing that said "So you want to go to Manchester...." :shock:

I've just had a discussion today where I could consider moving to Manchester. :o

At any rate, I've been once. Last summer during a London heatwave and it was cool up there. It seemed a nice enough place though I agree with you the city centre appears to be a bit of a mixed mess.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

James Watt will be taken off the fifty pound note and replaced by Alan Turing.

Valmy

Why? Just time to give somebody else a turn?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

My guess is because a movie about him came out.  But only the Trilateral Commission knows the real story.

dps

Why would the Brits have Reagan's Secretary of the Interior on any of their money?

;)

celedhring

Went to see Muse in Madrid. Are there other non-dinosaur acts that can pull off arena rock nowadays? It's becoming rare.

They even got a float! Floats are awesome.

Josquius

Speaking of Muse, spotify randomly served me up Sum 41's new track yesterday.
Wow. They're really going for the whole C-list Muse homage thing.

QuoteI've just had a discussion today where I could consider moving to Manchester. :o

At any rate, I've been once. Last summer during a London heatwave and it was cool up there. It seemed a nice enough place though I agree with you the city centre appears to be a bit of a mixed mess.
The gay village did look quite nice, kind of Amsterdammy.
Though that was the only sign of nightlife I saw. And isn't really my thing.
It was truly bizarre how little there seemed to be in the way of shops, Newcastle has more despite being a third of the size.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

"Alexa, what is your favorite movie?"
"The Empire Strikes Back is my all-time favorite. Impressive, most impressive."
"Alexa, what is your favorite movie from the 1980s?"
"Definitely The Princess Bride."
"Alexa, what is your favorite science fiction movie?"
"One of my all-time favorites is I, Robot. I respect the Laws of Robotics"

:hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Syt

Building complete. Worst thing? Assembling the flimsy tracks of the Hetzer/Pz IV and the Marder. :D The British Mk I was surprisingly finicky.

On Amazon some people had parts missing, I had no such issues. Quality was very good and up to Lego standards in all models IMHO.

There's some YouTube reviews of some models - some complain how some details are not 100%, or how some parts should be larger/smaller, but IMHO that's fine with models that largely use standard bricks between them (with a few custom bits). For accuracy these models don't compete with proper model kits, obviously.

I've always been a bit keen on custom Lego models of WW2 tanks, but the prices are usually prohibitive. These models are generally 30-40 EUR for 4-500 parts, which is significantly below Lego price. :D

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.