And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

On the 48th anniversary of the launch of this mission, I present Apollo 15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=31&v=VOOFtYvfRPc

How does one embed a video that can be played from the post?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

I don't think the forum software allows it. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Meanwhile, in Austria ....

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/austrian-athlete-freed-by-kidnapper-after-complimenting-his-orchids-2076339

QuoteAustrian Athlete Freed By Kidnapper After Complimenting His Orchids

VIENNA: A young Austrian triathlete kidnapped while riding her bike talked her way to freedom by complimenting her captor's orchids, a police source said Saturday, confirming press reports.

Professional triathlete Nathalie Birli, 27, was struck by a car Tuesday and broke her arm while falling to the ground near Graz in southeastern Austria, the press reports said.

The driver then knocked her out with a piece of wood and took her to his isolated home.

"When I regained consciousness, I was naked and tied up in an armchair in an old house," Birli told the Kronen Zeitung newspaper.

The man forced her to drink alcohol and tried to suffocate her and drown her in a bathtub filled with cold water, Birli said.

However she managed to placate the man by complimenting him on the many orchids growing in his home.

Though he was initially "filled with hate," the man suddenly became "nice to me" and confided that gardening was his passion before opening up about his troubled childhood, she said.

Finally, he agreed to let her go and even took her home, along with her bicycle, which had a GPS system installed in it.

Police used the GPS record to track down the man and arrest him at his house, they said.

The police are now trying to determine if the 33-year-old man, who suffers from psychiatric problems, was involved in any previous kidnappings.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Did he have Laura's diary?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

The word junta.
Is this pronounced with an English j or a Spanish h-esque j?
██████
██████
██████

Iormlund

In Spanish it is hard-j, like the sound you make when you want to spit phlegm.

ulmont

Quote from: Tyr on July 28, 2019, 09:49:10 AM
The word junta.

Both are accepted in US English but the Spanish j is more common.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/junta

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tyr on July 28, 2019, 09:49:10 AM
The word junta.

Zhunta if it's a Portuguese junta.  :P Otherwise, [ˈxunta] as per IPA rules, i.e Spanish h-esque.

Admiral Yi

I just learned today that YouTube has voice activation.

Tamas

It feels to me like Austria has a disproportionate number of creeps. :P

Eddie Teach

Is that why you broke up with them?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

frunk

Quote from an article about a city killing asteroid:

"It's not a Hollywood movie. It is a clear and present danger."

derspiess

Quote from: dps on July 26, 2019, 11:37:34 PM
Why would the Brits have Reagan's Secretary of the Interior on any of their money?

See, I was thinking it was the BrewDog guy :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Quote from: frunk on July 29, 2019, 07:11:41 AM

:bleeding:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: frunk on July 29, 2019, 07:11:41 AM