News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

If you have to walk a mile to get vegetables it stands to reason you won't do this very often when you can buy non perishable cans just down the street.
This has always been my problem with eating healthy. It isn't every day that I get the time to go shopping, and veggies go bad fast.
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: Tyr on June 21, 2019, 04:28:47 AM
If you have to walk a mile to get vegetables it stands to reason you won't do this very often when you can buy non perishable cans just down the street.
This has always been my problem with eating healthy. It isn't every day that I get the time to go shopping, and veggies go bad fast.

Sounds more like laziness to me  :P

Walking a mile only takes 15-20 minutes, riding a bike brings it down to about 5 minutes. Work it into your commute home and it takes next to no time at all.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 20, 2019, 05:16:42 PM
Quote from: grumbler on June 20, 2019, 04:59:42 PM
Who has studied the problem and reported that "food deserts have a lot do to with incomes not being high enough to purchase real food"?

From the very study you linked

QuoteIn this report, we examine the socioeconomic
and demographic characteristics of these tracts to see how they differ from other census
tracts and the extent to which these differences influence food desert status. Relative to
all other census tracts, food desert tracts tend to have smaller populations, higher rates
of abandoned or vacant homes, and residents who have lower levels of education, lower
incomes, and higher unemployment. Census tracts with higher poverty rates are more
likely to be food deserts than otherwise similar low-income census tracts in rural and in
very dense (highly populated) urban areas.
For less dense urban areas, census tracts with
higher concentrations of minority populations are more likely to be food deserts, while
tracts with substantial decreases in minority populations between 1990 and 2000 were
less likely to be identified as food deserts in 2000.

Who has studied the problem and reported that "food deserts have a lot do to with incomes not being high enough to purchase real food"?

By definition, food deserts are poor.  This study does not show that food deserts exist because people don't have the money to buy "real food."  There are a number of factors at work.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Threviel on June 20, 2019, 05:03:19 PM
So grumbsy, what is the difference in demand and what's causing it?

Well, Threesby, that's the question, innit?  The strongest correlation seems to be the negative one between obesity and education. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 19, 2019, 04:56:37 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 19, 2019, 04:52:59 PM
How is that a troll?

Really, poor people have different taste buds?  Rich people have some super special gene they acquire from their bank accounts that makes them immune from craving the salt sugar and fat junk food is laced with?

This is a really bizarre angle for you to argue.  Are you seriously telling me that different groups of people can't have different preferences for food?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on June 21, 2019, 08:36:09 AM
How is that a troll?

Really, poor people have different taste buds?  Rich people have some super special gene they acquire from their bank accounts that makes them immune from craving the salt sugar and fat junk food is laced with?

This is a really bizarre angle for you to argue.  Are you seriously telling me that different groups of people can't have different preferences for food?
They can, if you define groups by the type of cuisine they prefer.  When you're trying to assign different dietary preferences to groups that are defined by seemingly unrelated factors, though, some scrutiny of that claim is called for.

Eddie Teach

It's like the black people like fried chicken and watermelon thing. Sure, but so do white people. Probably some Asians too.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on June 21, 2019, 08:29:50 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 20, 2019, 05:16:42 PM
Quote from: grumbler on June 20, 2019, 04:59:42 PM

From the very study you linked

QuoteIn this report, we examine the socioeconomic
and demographic characteristics of these tracts to see how they differ from other census
tracts and the extent to which these differences influence food desert status. Relative to
all other census tracts, food desert tracts tend to have smaller populations, higher rates
of abandoned or vacant homes, and residents who have lower levels of education, lower
incomes, and higher unemployment. Census tracts with higher poverty rates are more
likely to be food deserts than otherwise similar low-income census tracts in rural and in
very dense (highly populated) urban areas.
For less dense urban areas, census tracts with
higher concentrations of minority populations are more likely to be food deserts, while
tracts with substantial decreases in minority populations between 1990 and 2000 were
less likely to be identified as food deserts in 2000.

By definition, food deserts are poor.  This study does not show that food deserts exist because people don't have the money to buy "real food."  There are a number of factors at work.

I see the problem now.  You are mixing up the definition of a food desert, which is defined by the USDA as areas "vapid of fresh fruit, vegetables, and other healthful whole foods" with the areas where that usually occurs which is poor areas.

See the USDA link I first posted.  It appears you did not bother to read it.

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on June 21, 2019, 08:36:09 AM
How is that a troll?

That is not my argument.  Of course different groups.  But your argument ignores all the data that food deserts occur in poor areas. There seems to be a much better explanation for why poor people don't eat healthy food than they don't like it - they don't have access to it.

derspiess

Or maybe they don't want it.  If they wanted it, someone would be willing to set up shop and sell it to them.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on June 21, 2019, 10:57:28 AM
Or maybe they don't want it.  If they wanted it, someone would be willing to set up shop and sell it to them.

Naw, they probably just like being poor.  If they wanted to be rich they would work harder.  Isn't that the logic of your worldview?

Have you ever considered that maybe just maybe there are food deserts because fresh fruits and vegetables cost more than many in the local populations in food deserts can afford?

Grey Fox

Quote from: derspiess on June 21, 2019, 10:57:28 AM

There use to be one, maybe multiple shops but than Walmart came along & drove them out of business & now that Walmart is closing. That is one way how new food deserts are created there is probably other ways.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jul/09/what-happened-when-walmart-left
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

That is something I noticed in areas where Toys R Us came in a few decades ago and killed all the toy stores. Then Toys R Us went out of business. Now there are just not any toy stores at all.

So I can certainly see Walmart doing something different with...well...basically everything else.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on June 21, 2019, 11:41:56 AM
That is something I noticed in areas where Toys R Us came in a few decades ago and killed all the toy stores. Then Toys R Us went out of business. Now there are just not any toy stores at all.

I don't think toys are a regular enough purchase that getting to the nearest Wal-Mart would be prohibitive.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Maladict on June 21, 2019, 04:57:45 AM
Quote from: Tyr on June 21, 2019, 04:28:47 AM

Sounds more like laziness to me  :P

Walking a mile only takes 15-20 minutes, riding a bike brings it down to about 5 minutes. Work it into your commute home and it takes next to no time at all.

And when are you going to find this 20 minutes to walk to the shop that closes at 7 when you just got off work at 6.30?
██████
██████
██████