And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 21, 2019, 12:01:46 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 21, 2019, 11:41:56 AM
That is something I noticed in areas where Toys R Us came in a few decades ago and killed all the toy stores. Then Toys R Us went out of business. Now there are just not any toy stores at all.

I don't think toys are a regular enough purchase that getting to the nearest Wal-Mart would be prohibitive.

I think you missed the point I was trying to make. I made it right in the part you cut out for some reason.

In any case I miss being able to head to a toy store with a nice big selection instead of the comparative scraps you get at Target or Walmart.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

I cut it out because I wasn't commenting on that part.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 21, 2019, 12:43:12 PM
I cut it out because I wasn't commenting on that part.

Ok then. But notice your logic here. I now would have only one choice. Then that choice goes out of business.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Tyr on June 21, 2019, 12:03:58 PM
Quote from: Maladict on June 21, 2019, 04:57:45 AM
Quote from: Tyr on June 21, 2019, 04:28:47 AM
If you have to walk a mile to get vegetables it stands to reason you won't do this very often when you can buy non perishable cans just down the street.
This has always been my problem with eating healthy. It isn't every day that I get the time to go shopping, and veggies go bad fast.

Sounds more like laziness to me  :P

Walking a mile only takes 15-20 minutes, riding a bike brings it down to about 5 minutes. Work it into your commute home and it takes next to no time at all.

And when are you going to find this 20 minutes to walk to the shop that closes at 7 when you just got off work at 6.30?

Oh you Euros.  :lol:

I don't know of a major grocery store around me that closes before 10. Some are 24 hours.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on June 21, 2019, 01:07:30 PM
Quote from: Tyr on June 21, 2019, 12:03:58 PM
Quote from: Maladict on June 21, 2019, 04:57:45 AM
Quote from: Tyr on June 21, 2019, 04:28:47 AM
If you have to walk a mile to get vegetables it stands to reason you won't do this very often when you can buy non perishable cans just down the street.
This has always been my problem with eating healthy. It isn't every day that I get the time to go shopping, and veggies go bad fast.

Sounds more like laziness to me  :P

Walking a mile only takes 15-20 minutes, riding a bike brings it down to about 5 minutes. Work it into your commute home and it takes next to no time at all.

And when are you going to find this 20 minutes to walk to the shop that closes at 7 when you just got off work at 6.30?

Oh you Euros.  :lol:

I don't know of a major grocery store around me that closes before 10. Some are 24 hours.

Well I'm rather lucky having two full supermarkets within 0.5 mile that stay open till 8, and another a mile away that's 10pm.

Other people aren't so well served, especially living in ring road urban zones.

Don't think there are any usable convenience stores with a sensible range, because I've not had to resort to them, but typically if they do have some fresh food/vegetables, it'll be a rather limited range and more expensive that the exact same produce at the 'parent' supermarket.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

We've just had a new far right separatist group pop up that seems straight from a Monty Python skit.  :lol:

They are the Moviment Identitary Català (Catalan Identitarian Movement), and the photo shows them in the Poblet cloister, swearing fealty to the Kings of Aragon there interred.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

The Identitarian Movement in Austria is under observation by state police/internal intelligence, btw. Before the Ibiza video, there was also some hubbub because it turned out that some FPÖ members had close contacts with the movement. It even got the Silent Chancellor, Kurz, to demand a clear dtistancing of FPÖ from the movement.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

The identitarians in Hungary (call themselves Identites) are a tiny group of extremely obviously extremely self-repressing young gay guys. Very hard to take seriously.

Syt

Well, the Austrian movement isn't big, either, and they weren't helped by receiving a €1500 donation from the Christchurch attacker. They saw a steep increase in donations in recent years, and were at 500,000 Euros cash balance in 2017.

On the other hand, when police recently raided the home of the head of the movement, they gave him about 15 minutes time between announcing themselves and him actually opening the door.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on June 22, 2019, 03:32:53 AM
Time for ...

I expected it actually... ;)
Nope, those are for crypto-jews or crypto-moors.  :contract:

celedhring

Comparing the twitter feeds between Spanish and Catalan identitarian groups is fascinating. They have the exact same beliefs in 90% of the issues - that is, hating muslims, brownish latin americans, gays, uppity women, leftists, you name it  - but since they happen to pray to a different flag they hate each other the most.

Josquius

You can add Muslim extremists to the mix too and just take out the islamophobia part. It's weird how this isn't pointed out more.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Yeah it's the same with the far-right and hardliner islamists/muslims. I struggle to find any difference in beliefs besides opinion on alcohol.

DGuller

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 21, 2019, 09:43:28 AM
It's like the black people like fried chicken and watermelon thing. Sure, but so do white people. Probably some Asians too.
:hmm: Oh, I see where that was going, I missed the two-step stereotype link behind that.