And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on June 19, 2019, 12:04:48 PM
Quote from: Threviel on June 19, 2019, 11:59:59 AM
There's a reason the Irish emigrated, potatoes and milk, while a complete diet, is not very fulfilling.

*shrug* Me and my relatives have eaten well and very cheaply when poor, others can too.

:hmm:

Most poor people used to be very good at eating cheapy and reasonably well indeed. Gout used to be a privilege of the rich.

Josquius

Quote from: derspiess on June 19, 2019, 12:00:01 PM
Quote from: Syt on June 19, 2019, 10:09:15 AM
Quote from: Threviel on June 19, 2019, 10:02:14 AM
I have seen or read that veggies is actually hard to come by in poorer areas of the US. Propaganda or sometging to it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_desert

I'm not really convinced of the causality.  Poor folks like the taste of junk food and will go for that over healthier food when given the choice.
Poor people have different taste buds?
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

They often have different palates.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

I have seen or read that veggies is actually hard to come by in poorer areas of the US. Propaganda or sometging to it?

I'm not really convinced of the causality.  Poor folks like the taste of junk food and will go for that over healthier food when given the choice.

I prefer the cause identified below rather than one dependent on an assumption that poor people are physiologically different from affluent people.

QuoteFood deserts are brought about by a number of factors. They are typically located in low income areas where people often do not own a car. While public transportation can assist these people in some instances, often economic flux has driven grocery stores out of the city and into the suburbs. Suburban stores are often so far from the person, they may have to spend most of a day getting to and from the grocers, not to mention the task of carrying groceries home from a bus or subway stop. Secondly, food deserts are socio-economic, meaning they arise in communities of color combined with low income. Less disposable income combined with a lack of transportation typically leads to the purchase of fast foods and processed foods available at the corner store. This leads to an increase in heart disease, higher incidence of obesity and diabetes.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/lifestyle/food-desert-information.htm

Quote from: derspiess on June 19, 2019, 12:30:36 PM
They often have different palates.

I have been both poor and in the top 1%.  The only thing that has really changed is I can now purchase food and drink I wanted to purchase when I was poor.

Grey Fox

Being wealthy is more than having money. It's everything that comes with that money.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Savonarola

Quote from: dps on June 19, 2019, 10:29:01 AM
The map with that is highly misleading, I think.  I would have assumed that those "fresh food deserts" were largely in poor inner-city areas.  The areas shown as being the worst on that map are largely rural areas;  those aren't places where the only local store is a convenience store that doesn't have much in the way of fresh food--there places where there aren't any stores, period--but where lots of people have veggie gardens, if they aren't farmers in the first place.

Looking at data on a per-county basis will make rural areas look worse since pockets of inner city misery are small relative to the total population of the county.  For example Keweenaw County in Michigan is bright red on the map (as is Isle Royale, those poor wolves), but it has a population of 2100 people.  Most of the city of Detroit is a food desert (though nowhere near as bad as it was a decade ago); but Wayne County is yellow; the suburban population masks Detroit's problems.  Looking at the data on a per-FIPs or per-Zip Code would provide a better picture.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

dps

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 19, 2019, 11:23:35 AM
Quote from: dps on June 19, 2019, 10:57:37 AM
Quote from: Oexmelin on June 19, 2019, 10:52:31 AM
No. It’s says “no car and no supermarket”. Your farmers will have a car. These are poor rural populations, or populations living in small communities, in addition to inner city food deserts.

I wasn't talking about commercial farming operations, more subsistence farmers and the like.

Those don't exist in the western world anymore.

Clearly you've never spent much time in rural Appalachia.  Or east central NC, for that matter.

Grey Fox

Really? There are, today, in the USA, farmers that only farm their land for their own food supply?!

3rd world country indeed.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

dps

There's truth in that, but it's also true that it's cheaper to eat crappy food.

Syt

From a 1980 BBC bit about the redeveloped Covent Garden market building:

"[...] and the traders were forced out to Nine Elms, kind of Los Angeles of the fruit and veg business on the South bank of the Thames."

"Los Angeles of the fruit and veg business"? What does that even mean?  :huh:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 19, 2019, 02:33:41 PM
Really? There are, today, in the USA, farmers that only farm their land for their own food supply?!

3rd world country indeed.

There's a population of what I can only describe as conservative farmer hipsters. Raising "heritage" breed farm animals and crops. Homesteading is surprisingly big. the overlap with  prepers is large too.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Zoupa

:lol: Don't feed the troll guys.

Admiral Yi

How is that a troll? 

mongers

Quote from: Syt on June 19, 2019, 03:00:41 PM
From a 1980 BBC bit about the redeveloped Covent Garden market building:

"[...] and the traders were forced out to Nine Elms, kind of Los Angeles of the fruit and veg business on the South bank of the Thames."

"Los Angeles of the fruit and veg business"? What does that even mean?  :huh:

Especially as Nine Elms is all of what 1-1.5 miles from Westminster and the Thames, about 5 stops on the northern line iirc when I used to park there to get into 'Town'.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 19, 2019, 04:52:59 PM
How is that a troll?

Really, poor people have different taste buds?  Rich people have some super special gene they acquire from their bank accounts that makes them immune from craving the salt sugar and fat junk food is laced with?