News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Also "Panzer of the Lake" is a wonderful meme template. Unfortunately most memes using it are bad.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Spanish police have arrested a con man under several charges of identity theft. This is one of the forged ID cards he was using  :lol:

The Larch

QuoteChina rules rainbow trout can be sold as salmon
Much of what is sold as salmon in China is reportedly actually rainbow trout, so now the authorities are making it official

The Chinese government has ruled that rainbow trout can now be labelled and sold as salmon.

The seemingly bizarre move comes after complaints earlier this year that rainbow trout was being mislabelled.

In May, media reported that much of what was sold as salmon in China was actually rainbow trout, to widespread consternation from fish-buyers.

But instead of banning vendors from deceiving their customers, the China Aquatic Products Processing and Marketing Alliance (CAPPMA), which falls under the Chinese ministry of agriculture, has ruled that all salmonidae fish can now be sold under the umbrella name of "salmon", reports the Global Times.

Rainbow trout and salmon are both salmonidae fish and look quite similar when filleted. However, salmon live in salt water and rainbow trout live in fresh water.

The Global Times reports that the sale of salmon has increased in recent years in China, but that customers had begun complaining that some of what was marketed as salmon was actually trout.

Josquius

Well, there goes all rainbow trout in China.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Don't want to get into the silly "what are trout" debate again, but trout are salmon.  The same salmon species can have saltwater and freshwater subspecies.

And any rainbow trout in China came from North America or was raised artificially.  Rainbow trout are native to western Canada and the western US.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Richard Hakluyt

They are best served with a glass of champagne I believe.

derspiess

Rainbow trout are delicious.  And fun to catch.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Oexmelin

A friend of mine was tweeting his boredom about the slow crawl on the road out of Genoa this morning.

He finally succeeded in getting out of the city. Ten minutes later, the bridge he had just crossed collapsed:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/14/genoa-motorway-bridge-collapses-italy

Death toll is expected to rise. :(
Que le grand cric me croque !

grumbler

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 14, 2018, 01:23:00 PM
A friend of mine was tweeting his boredom about the slow crawl on the road out of Genoa this morning.

He finally succeeded in getting out of the city. Ten minutes later, the bridge he had just crossed collapsed:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/14/genoa-motorway-bridge-collapses-italy

Death toll is expected to rise. :(

Just heard about this.  I understand that there was some work underway on the bridge at the time.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Interesting piece in the Guardian about obesity.

Here is a picture of a crowded beach in 1976 (no fat people).  just picture in your mind the difference today.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/25/1976-long-hot-summer-political-upheaval

The opinion piece considers what changed.  The conclusion the author draws:

QuoteSo what has happened? The light begins to dawn when you look at the nutrition figures in more detail. Yes, we ate more in 1976, but differently. Today, we buy half as much fresh milk per person, but five times more yoghurt, three times more ice cream and – wait for it – 39 times as many dairy desserts. We buy half as many eggs as in 1976, but a third more breakfast cereals and twice the cereal snacks; half the total potatoes, but three times the crisps. While our direct purchases of sugar have sharply declined, the sugar we consume in drinks and confectionery is likely to have rocketed (there are purchase numbers only from 1992, at which point they were rising rapidly. Perhaps, as we consumed just 9kcal a day in the form of drinks in 1976, no one thought the numbers were worth collecting.) In other words, the opportunities to load our food with sugar have boomed. As some experts have long proposed, this seems to be the issue.

The solution the piece implies is not a matter of individuals making better dietary choices, but better regulation of the food industry.

I think the piece is a bit simplistic in that it does not address why obese people make poor nutritional choices, it simply blames government for allowing those choices to be made.  But I think it likely that there is another structural problem with food delivery - junk/fast food costs less. So it is not surprising that so many people eat it and get fat.  In fairness the article does mention that obesity is more prevalent in lower socio-economic groups.  But why is that?  The article simply says "lower spending power, stress, anxiety and depression associated with low social status makes people more vulnerable to bad diets".  I don't think that is very helpful.  All that amounts to is poor people are always going to make bad food choices.  Putting aside how demeaning that logic is to poor people, I think we are better off looking at structural causes rather than simply concluding the poor must be protected from themselves. 

I think the issue is the cost and availability of health foods vs unhealthy foods.

Now how does that get addressed?  Not sure.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/15/age-of-obesity-shaming-overweight-people

The Brain

At least in Sweden healthy food is a lot cheaper than crap food.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

I mean it is not like being a poor person was less stressful in 1976.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Food in general is cheaper than it's ever been.  At least it seems so :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Quote from: derspiess on August 15, 2018, 11:27:33 AM
Food in general is cheaper than it's ever been.  At least it seems so :D

But at what cost?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tonitrus

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 15, 2018, 10:26:51 AM

I think the issue is the cost and availability of health foods vs unhealthy foods.

Now how does that get addressed?  Not sure.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/15/age-of-obesity-shaming-overweight-people

I think there is a lot of truth there.  Far easier to plug in processed/sugar-loaded snack foods into poorer/urban stores/groceries than what is likely a more supply-chain intense/higher cost infrastructure to supply fresh fruits/vegetables.  And even if available, the latter would likely end up costing more, and thus not be a consumer choice anyway.

And whiny kids will always cry about wanting to get some kind of sugar-frosted wheatie flakes over carrots anyway.  :P