News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Last-minute visitors coming over? If it's not a frequent occurrence...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on March 20, 2018, 04:52:01 PM
Last-minute visitors coming over? If it's not a frequent occurrence...

They hadn't  done it for a while but this used to be a weekly thing.

Ed Anger

Man, shopping for low sodium foods sucks. Local places don't have much and online retailers generally mark the shit up bigly.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Monoriu

Quote from: Zanza on March 20, 2018, 12:35:50 PM
Taxi licenses in Germany cost only like 50 Euro and are not limited in number, but there is considerable regulation that taxi companies need to fulfill here, e.g. have a meter that was checked by the state etc.

That's not practical in places like HK.  A private car doesn't take up much road space, because most of the time the car is parked somewhere.  A taxi is almost always on the road.  Too many taxis will cause unbearable road congestion and air pollution. 

dps

Quote from: Monoriu on March 20, 2018, 08:43:34 PM
Taxi licenses in Germany cost only like 50 Euro and are not limited in number, but there is considerable regulation that taxi companies need to fulfill here, e.g. have a meter that was checked by the state etc.

That's not practical in places like HK.  A private car doesn't take up much road space, because most of the time the car is parked somewhere.  A taxi is almost always on the road.  Too many taxis will cause unbearable road congestion and air pollution. 

That doesn't make sense.  NYC probably has more taxis per capita than anyplace else because having a private car there can be such a hassle.  If having a private car isn't as much of a hassle in HK, then there wouldn't be that much need for taxis in the first place.

The Brain

Call me old fashioned but cars should only be allowed in the city at night.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

That doesn't sound old-fashioned, just bizarre.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: dps on March 20, 2018, 09:28:04 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 20, 2018, 08:43:34 PM

That doesn't make sense.  NYC probably has more taxis per capita than anyplace else because having a private car there can be such a hassle.  If having a private car isn't as much of a hassle in HK, then there wouldn't be that much need for taxis in the first place.

Yeah, thats backwards.
A parked car is still taking up road space. Its precisely because cars spend so much of their life parked somewhere that we need to move away from car ownership.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Usually they're taking up space in a driveway or parking lot, not on the road.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

A man has paid €60,000 in damages after kicking a woman in the streets of Barcelona and injuring her, pending ongoing penal proceedings.

The kicker (pun!) is that he recorded it on his phone and uploaded it to his instagram account for all the world to see.

I wish all felons were so retarded.

Josquius

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 21, 2018, 01:25:11 AM
Maybe in the US where everyone has a mansion.
In Europe road parking is the norm.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on March 21, 2018, 05:41:20 AM

In the UK, you mean.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on March 21, 2018, 06:01:28 AM
Quote from: Tyr on March 21, 2018, 05:41:20 AM

In the UK, you mean.

Switzerland and France too.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

This seems like it is going into a strange anecdotal and not particularly useful direction. At any rate, I think it is pretty clear that governments generally aren't trying to increase the amount of cars on the road, for personal use or for hire.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

Quote from: celedhring on March 21, 2018, 03:17:42 AM
A man has paid €60,000 in damages after kicking a woman in the streets of Barcelona and injuring her, pending ongoing penal proceedings.

The kicker (pun!) is that he recorded it on his phone and uploaded it to his instagram account for all the world to see.

I wish all felons were so retarded.

World Star!
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien