The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on March 21, 2018, 09:44:23 AM
Quote from: The Larch on March 21, 2018, 09:13:41 AM
Quote from: Tyr on March 21, 2018, 05:41:20 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 21, 2018, 01:25:11 AM
Usually they're taking up space in a driveway or parking lot, not on the road.
Maybe in the US where everyone has a mansion.
In Europe road parking is the norm.

Over here we have discovered the amazing technology of the garage. No scribes allowed!

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/renters-urged-to-snap-up-chance-to-live-in-700-a-month-converted-garage-a3241331.html

I had a few of these beauties come up for me when searching for a place in the past.

You people do not anticipate the critical lack of homes and related infrastructure around here, compared to demand. We do have plenty of unused woodland though. i wonder when people will start setting up tents.

That doesn't make sense to me at all. You could easily get a much better shared place for cheaper than that.

But then I think that's what always seems to be the case when you encounter the articles on hellishly tiny places that people choose to live in. They didn't know better and/or waited to the last possible second to try and find something.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on March 21, 2018, 01:23:44 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 21, 2018, 01:18:23 PM
The human element is very much present with bundling the money and adding it to the ATM's cash cassette, so that'll happen.  I've never seen the reverse in the US, though.

What gets really fun is when the bank employees fill the 10s cassette with 20s and vice-versa :D

Yeah, I've never understood why you guys have banknotes the same size and color. Ripe for confusion or downright chicanery.

Not really. Pretty easy to handle. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on March 21, 2018, 01:19:06 PM
Quote from: Tamas on March 21, 2018, 09:44:23 AM
Quote from: The Larch on March 21, 2018, 09:13:41 AM
Quote from: Tyr on March 21, 2018, 05:41:20 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 21, 2018, 01:25:11 AM
Usually they're taking up space in a driveway or parking lot, not on the road.
Maybe in the US where everyone has a mansion.
In Europe road parking is the norm.

Over here we have discovered the amazing technology of the garage. No scribes allowed!

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/renters-urged-to-snap-up-chance-to-live-in-700-a-month-converted-garage-a3241331.html

I had a few of these beauties come up for me when searching for a place in the past.

You people do not anticipate the critical lack of homes and related infrastructure around here, compared to demand. We do have plenty of unused woodland though. i wonder when people will start setting up tents.

Even in my home town lots of garages being demolished and replaced with housing.
Very few people keep their cars in garages I find, it's just too much of a faff. At the parents place our garage has always been storage/dad's workshop/tumble drier room.

Over here garages in the cities are mostly underground.

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on March 21, 2018, 01:25:26 PM

I always preferred when they parked my car in the above ground portion of my parking garage, rather than the below levels. Much smaller risk of flood damage.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on March 21, 2018, 01:23:44 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 21, 2018, 01:18:23 PM
The human element is very much present with bundling the money and adding it to the ATM's cash cassette, so that'll happen.  I've never seen the reverse in the US, though.

What gets really fun is when the bank employees fill the 10s cassette with 20s and vice-versa :D

Yeah, I've never understood why you guys have banknotes the same size and color. Ripe for confusion or downright chicanery.

We at least have different colours for our bills.

Yeah, I always find it confusing handling money in the US.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Our bills have different colors now though...

Josquius

Are any right wingers decrying the gay agenda over this?

I had no idea you had a $2.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on March 21, 2018, 01:46:59 PM
Are any right wingers decrying the gay agenda over this?

Well, I think the latest bill color change was the $100 like 5 years ago so I can't recall if there was controversy around that. I do know, as myself included, that some of the changes were seen as rather garish. Like what happened with the giant purple 5 on the back of the 5 dollar bill.

Quote from: Tyr on March 21, 2018, 01:46:59 PMI had no idea you had a $2.

Yep and still printed but to a much lower extent than the other bills. The couple that I own were given to me as a present from my great grandmother one year.

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on March 21, 2018, 01:29:17 PM

I always preferred when they parked my car in the above ground portion of my parking garage, rather than the below levels. Much smaller risk of flood damage.

Is it really that big of an issue?

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on March 21, 2018, 02:03:05 PM

Surely that depends on the climate and how well water mains are maintained, no? :P

celedhring

He lives in England  :P

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on March 21, 2018, 02:08:22 PM

I don't have a car anymore but yes would adopt some mentality here. Particularly with water main bursts across London. :D

Josquius

This was a fascinating story.
Elephants vs. Rhinos. Who would win?

https://www.kotafoundation.org/the-delinquents-in-pilanesberg/
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on March 21, 2018, 02:08:22 PM

It's not as if I live somewhere much drier.  :P

Barrister

So good news - my US $20 turned into $25.12 Canadian (and for some reason they even dug up two pennies to give me).

Bad news - there went a half hour of my lunch break.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.