And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on March 21, 2018, 05:41:20 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 21, 2018, 01:25:11 AM
Usually they're taking up space in a driveway or parking lot, not on the road.
Maybe in the US where everyone has a mansion.
In Europe road parking is the norm.

Over here we have discovered the amazing technology of the garage. No scribes allowed!

DGuller

Not in the urban areas.

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on March 21, 2018, 09:13:41 AM

Over here we have discovered the amazing technology of the garage. No scribes allowed!

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/renters-urged-to-snap-up-chance-to-live-in-700-a-month-converted-garage-a3241331.html

I had a few of these beauties come up for me when searching for a place in the past.

You people do not anticipate the critical lack of homes and related infrastructure around here, compared to demand. We do have plenty of unused woodland though. i wonder when people will start setting up tents.

KRonn

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 20, 2018, 08:34:58 PM
Man, shopping for low sodium foods sucks. Local places don't have much and online retailers generally mark the shit up bigly.

Agreed on that. Drives me nuts trying to find low or preferable no salt food. I don't have any salt restrictions but I prefer no or low salt stuff as I don't like too much salt and want to cut down on the stuff anyway. No salt soup is way too expensive, but I can usually find lower sodium soups at same price as the more salted stuff, such as Campbell or Progresso soups. Other things like canned chicken, bread, spam, vegetables usually have salt with varying levels. I can find some with lower levels though. For veggies I drain most of the water out and that seems to remove a lot of the salt. I've gotten accustomed to using low/no salt and when I eat something with more salt it's really noticeable and tastes lousy actually.

Tamas

Eddie Teach

A vertical parking lot. Not the side of the road.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 20, 2018, 08:34:58 PM
Man, shopping for low sodium foods sucks. Local places don't have much and online retailers generally mark the shit up bigly.

I remember being stuck at my grandparents' house with all the low sodium food.  The unsalted potato chips were the best :yuk:

FWIW this commercial just popped into my head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtHWHgIvHhc
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 21, 2018, 10:25:30 AM

A vertical parking lot. Not the side of the road.

Still not all that true though. I think most people in New York (and from what I recall LA) still parked on the side of the road (which is the reason it is so hard to find street parking). I couldn't handle the stress of that / chance of being towed for being too close to a fire hydrant so I paid to be in a parking garage but I don't think that's the most common thing.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on March 21, 2018, 09:44:23 AM

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/renters-urged-to-snap-up-chance-to-live-in-700-a-month-converted-garage-a3241331.html

I had a few of these beauties come up for me when searching for a place in the past.

You people do not anticipate the critical lack of homes and related infrastructure around here, compared to demand. We do have plenty of unused woodland though. i wonder when people will start setting up tents.

Isn't there actually a kind of typical London appartment that is basically a refurbished former horse carriage storage?

Barrister

So I took $40 out of an ATM the other day.  I went to spend the money only to realize the machine had spat out a $20, and a US $20 bill.  :blink:

I mean given the weakness of the loonie I guess I should count this as an error in my favour, but still - now I have to go back to the bank to get the bill changed.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

That's really weird. Are both banknotes the same size?

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on March 21, 2018, 01:12:55 PM
That's really weird. Are both banknotes the same size?

Very close, but the US bill is a touch narrower.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

The human element is very much present with bundling the money and adding it to the ATM's cash cassette, so that'll happen.  I've never seen the reverse in the US, though.

What gets really fun is when the bank employees fill the 10s cassette with 20s and vice-versa :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on March 21, 2018, 09:44:23 AM

Even in my home town lots of garages being demolished and replaced with housing.
Very few people keep their cars in garages I find, it's just too much of a faff. At the parents place our garage has always been storage/dad's workshop/tumble drier room.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: derspiess on March 21, 2018, 01:18:23 PM
The human element is very much present with bundling the money and adding it to the ATM's cash cassette, so that'll happen.  I've never seen the reverse in the US, though.

What gets really fun is when the bank employees fill the 10s cassette with 20s and vice-versa :D

Yeah, I've never understood why you guys have banknotes the same size and color. Ripe for confusion or downright chicanery.