The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 15, 2018, 01:49:11 PM
Quote from: The Brain on March 15, 2018, 01:21:26 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on March 15, 2018, 12:58:38 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 15, 2018, 10:22:56 AM
That's a fairly light sentence for Manslaughter.

If I were the DA, I'd probably not have filed charges at all. It sounds like a horrendous tragedy born of extreme stupidity where the outcome is more than enough punishment.

:huh:

Sure, it fits as manslaughter easily, and obviously she should have refused to shoot a gun at him...but sometimes the legal process could use more sensible humanity injected into, not just Judge Dredd-"I am the law" mindlessness.

The 6 months will not teach her anything.  It will not deter people who would be stupid enough to do something similar.  It costs the government time/resources.  And it only serves to add another insult to that already so well self-inflicted, plus the injury.

Ah, the buuhuu sad criminal defense. Yeah let's make that a cornerstone of criminal justice.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Sure, it fits as manslaughter easily, and obviously she should have refused to shoot a gun at him...but sometimes the legal process could use more sensible humanity injected into, not just Judge Dredd-"I am the law" mindlessness.

The 6 months will not teach her anything.  It will not deter people who would be stupid enough to do something similar.  It costs the government time/resources.  And it only serves to add another insult to that already so well self-inflicted, plus the injury.

Justice is not only about the individual offender, but also the message it sends to the wider community.  The concept is called "general deterrence".

This sentence seems like it hits the right balance.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

There is a Scientology channel on the DirectTv lineup. Hilarious. Plus it is right next to RT.

The bit with the E-Meter was extra special.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

For the first time (when not living in a rent controlled apartment), my rent isn't going up. :cool:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on March 16, 2018, 08:18:20 AM
For the first time (when not living in a rent controlled apartment), my rent isn't going up. :cool:

Brexit delivering freedom!

dps

Quote from: Barrister on March 15, 2018, 03:20:33 PM

Justice is not only about the individual offender, but also the message it sends to the wider community.  The concept is called "general deterrence".

This sentence seems like it hits the right balance.

I'm not sure that those who don't realize that firing guns at each other as a stunt is a really bad idea will receive any message that might be sent.

Eddie Teach

It reinforces the illegality of the stunt to those who do.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Today I learned...
Liberia is divided into counties.
Each county has a flag.
They suck.

██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Which county is the blood diamond?

alfred russel

Quote from: Tyr on March 16, 2018, 01:35:30 PM
Today I learned...
Liberia is divided into counties.
Each county has a flag.
They suck.

Hopefully you learn something more useful tomorrow.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Larch

You follow the Geography Now Youtube channel, Tyr?

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

I wonder : Does the rest of the world realize that Canada is less than 4 month away from having coast to coast legal weed?

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 16, 2018, 06:58:36 PM
I wonder : Does the rest of the world realize that Canada is less than 4 month away from having coast to coast legal weed?

Who or what is Canada?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 16, 2018, 06:58:36 PM

I certainly do.  :ph34r:

Wanna ditch the famiglia for a day and get baked with the Yister on the Island sometime in July?