Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 13, 2018, 05:41:09 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 13, 2018, 05:37:19 PM
The driver demands a fare high enough to make a living

I don't know about this part.  Around here at least I don't think anyone is doing it as a full time gig.

Sure, but there's still likely a lower limit to what drivers will accept for rides and if Uber isn't offering that could undermine their business.

DGuller

I don't think it's just the network effect, it's also about building a brand name.  Making a verb out of uber will be worth some premium.  There may also be a lot of value in winning over more converts, as they'll tend to stick with the company that first got them.  Not everyone will care enough to have three different apps installed and set up, especially if the default option is always getting the job done.

Valmy

Amazon has based its entire business on running on bare-bones profits just so they could capture ever growing market share. I guess Uber was planning something similar...though running on tiny margins and running on giant deficits is a pretty different thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

katmai

I've been driving uber from Around thanksgiving as my tv work has been slow. I'm driving about 4-5hours a day, 5 days a week for about $20 per hour after factoring in my gas and car maintenance cost. (No where near norm for most uber drivers I know)
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

KRonn

I have a friend driving Uber. He probably does about as well as you. One guy he knows drives mostly airport fares and does very well.

Ed Anger

Quote from: katmai on March 13, 2018, 06:51:33 PM
I've been driving uber from Around thanksgiving as my tv work has been slow. I'm driving about 4-5hours a day, 5 days a week for about $20 per hour after factoring in my gas and car maintenance cost. (No where near norm for most uber drivers I know)

I didn't know Manatees could drive for uber.

Just getting the joke in first.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Quote from: KRonn on March 13, 2018, 07:21:57 PM
I have a friend driving Uber. He probably does about as well as you. One guy he knows drives mostly airport fares and does very well.
Anecdotal evidence from folks I know during the summer tourist season they were making $2000 a week.

katmai

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 13, 2018, 07:22:50 PM

I didn't know Manatees could drive for uber.

Yes there is hope for you to pay for the 52 bastard children you have sprung.

Admiral Yi

Tonitrus

Quote from: katmai on March 13, 2018, 10:08:30 PM
Quote from: KRonn on March 13, 2018, 07:21:57 PM
Anecdotal evidence from folks I know during the summer tourist season they were making $2000 a week.

Talking to one cabbie coming from the airport, he said they'd sometimes get some "big game/moose/bear hunter" come off a plane, hail a cab, and offer big dough to drive them up to Fairbanks/some other far off bush area away from Anchorage.

katmai

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

RIP Toys 'R Us. You was an alright toy chain. Children's Palace was still better.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

I don't wanna grow up.  :cry:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

I hope somebody buys their stores in Austin.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."