News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 13, 2018, 03:17:26 PM
Jeff Bezos is now #1 on Forbes' list of billionaires. (I think he booted Carols Slim.)  He's worth 112 billion. 

Donald Trump dropped 222 spots, to #766.  Forbes thinks he's worth 3.1.

Doesn't count all the money he's griffting
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

What is the current decade called?

The.... Teenies?
Doesn't have the same ring as noughties :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Just the Teens or the Tens.

Apparently, TRU Canada will survive this bankruptcy. My childhood is safe.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/mar/15/woman-jailed-for-killing-boyfriend-in-youtube-stunt-that-went-wrong-monalisa-perez-pedro-ruiz

QuoteWoman jailed for killing boyfriend in YouTube stunt that went wrong

A Minnesota woman has been sentenced to six months in prison for shooting dead her boyfriend in a YouTube stunt that went wrong.

Monalisa Perez, now 20, pleaded guilty to second-degree manslaughter in the death of Pedro Ruiz, 22, who she had been dating for five years.

On Wednesday, Minnesota judge Jeffrey Remick set out the terms agreed under plea bargaining. He said Perez would serve a 180-day jail term, alternating between 10 days in jail and 10 days out for the first six months, amounting to 90 days behind bars.

The judge said the remaining 90 days could be served in home confinement.

Perez was asked by Ruiz, 22, to fire a gun from a 30cm away, as he held a hardback encyclopaedia to protect himself from the bullet, in June last year.

Perez had previously experimented and thought that the thick book would protect him. The clip was filmed by two cameras and the couple's three-year-old daughter witnessed the shooting.

They had recorded a number of YouTube videos together, featuring them doing stunts and completing challenges. Before the shooting, Perez tweeted: "Me and Pedro are probably going to shoot one of the most dangerous videos ever. His idea, not mine."

The bullet pierced the book, which was only 1.5 inches thick, killing Ruiz. Perez was pregnant with their second child at the time of the shooting.

"I wish they wouldn't have done it. I wish he would've just done another prank," the victim's aunt, Claudia Ruiz, told WDAY-TV. She added: "They were in love. It was just a prank gone wrong. It shouldn't have happened like this. It shouldn't have happened at all."

The sentencing is below state guidelines but Norman County attorney James Brue said it was a "foolish stunt" dreamed up, planned and executed by Ruiz, and that Perez "wrongfully and tragically relied on his assurances that the stunt was safe".

Perez was banned for life from owning firearms and ordered that she could make no financial gain from the case.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

In your face Darwin! You're too late!

Razgovory

That's a fairly light sentence for Manslaughter.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on March 15, 2018, 11:53:27 AM
Aw man.  Augie Garrido died.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/former-texas-coach-augie-garrido-ncaa-baseballs-all-time-wins-leader-dies-at-79/

Yeah. I loved that guy. I knew once he retired he would not live long, Baseball was his entire life. But man it hits me hard. I will always remember greeting him at the stadium after the loss to LSU in the 2009 National Championship series and having a long conversation with him about the series. Dude could talk baseball for hours.

I really enjoyed his foodie show on LHN.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

Quote from: Razgovory on March 15, 2018, 10:22:56 AM

If I were the DA, I'd probably not have filed charges at all. It sounds like a horrendous tragedy born of extreme stupidity where the outcome is more than enough punishment.

The Brain

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 15, 2018, 12:58:38 PM

If I were the DA, I'd probably not have filed charges at all. It sounds like a horrendous tragedy born of extreme stupidity where the outcome is more than enough punishment.

:huh:

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Yeah the article notes it is below the state guidelines.

Tonitrus

Quote from: The Brain on March 15, 2018, 01:21:26 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on March 15, 2018, 12:58:38 PM

:huh:

Sure, it fits as manslaughter easily, and obviously she should have refused to shoot a gun at him...but sometimes the legal process could use more sensible humanity injected into, not just Judge Dredd-"I am the law" mindlessness.

The 6 months will not teach her anything.  It will not deter people who would be stupid enough to do something similar.  It costs the government time/resources.  And it only serves to add another insult to that already so well self-inflicted, plus the injury.