News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Quote from: Zanza on June 27, 2017, 01:56:34 PM
Looks like Merkel did a U-Turn on gay marriage. She was always against it to keep the conservatives in her Christian Democratic Union behind her, but the public opinion swung too far in favor of gay marriage. As all three of her potential coalition partners for the election in September have stated that they will not join a coalition without gay marriage, Merkel all of a sudden says that it should be vote of conscience (i.e. not along party lines) and some MPs want to vote on it as early as next week. That will defuse a potential topic that could have only lost her votes and made coalition building harder and all before the election. She is the complete realpolitik non-ideologue who is only opportunistically seeking power. But she's extremely good at that.

So less than a week after Merkel stated this "vote of conscience" thing in a TV interview without prior alignment with her own parliamentary faction, the German parliament voted in favor of gay marriage (393 yes to 226 no). Her conservative backbenchers are super pissed that she just gave it up without any prior debate through a TV interview. Her current coalition partner deliberately took her unclear statement in that TV interview and forced the vote in parliament by allying with the opposition, which is basically the end of the current coalition government in Germany. As we have federal election in September anyway, it does not really matter anymore, but as of today, Merkel's government is a lame duck until September as the two coalition partners will now openly fight each other in an election campaign.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Zanza

She probably just slipped in that TV interview and didn't actually want to say what she then said. But her coalition partner pounced on it. The SPD, Left Party and Greens were 100% in favor in the vote today, whereas Merkel's own conservatives were split 75 yes, 225 no. She herself voted no as well. Some of her most senior ministers (her chief of staff, her defence minister, all her SPD ministers) and even the secretary general of the conservative party voted in favor.

Admiral Yi

Why does this mean the end of the coalition government?

Zanza

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 30, 2017, 11:57:34 AM
Why does this mean the end of the coalition government?
The CDU and SPD had agreed in their coalition agreement four years ago not to vote on laws without consensus between both parties. The SPD broke that consensus today by voting in favor of putting the law for gay marriage up for immediate voting together with the opposition parties against the will of the CDU.

But as it happens today was the last day before the summer recess, there are two more days for the annual budget before the general election and that's it.  So it doesn't matter. And as Merkel's appeal for many voters is here calm and stable government style and the public is hugely in favor of gay marriage, she can't formally break the coalition over this behavior of the SPD and has to govern another two-and-a-half months with them. But this government will not do anything anymore.

alfred russel

Quote from: Zanza on June 27, 2017, 01:56:34 PM
Looks like Merkel did a U-Turn on gay marriage. She was always against it to keep the conservatives in her Christian Democratic Union behind her, but the public opinion swung too far in favor of gay marriage. As all three of her potential coalition partners for the election in September have stated that they will not join a coalition without gay marriage, Merkel all of a sudden says that it should be vote of conscience (i.e. not along party lines) and some MPs want to vote on it as early as next week. That will defuse a potential topic that could have only lost her votes and made coalition building harder and all before the election. She is the complete realpolitik non-ideologue who is only opportunistically seeking power. But she's extremely good at that.

Doesn't seem too different than a lot of politicians, notably people like Obama and Hillary Clinton. Against gay marriage until it isn't in their advantage to be.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zanza

She voted against it today though.

Savonarola

In learning Spanish I've come across words that sound like they should mean something quite different from what they actually do.  Today I came across the word "Gandul" which sounds like it should be a character or place from Lord of the Rings.  Actually it means "Lazy" in Spain (it means "Pigeon peas" in Latin America, which is a little closer.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Savonarola on June 30, 2017, 01:06:01 PM
In learning Spanish I've come across words that sound like they should mean something quite different from what they actually do.  Today I came across the word "Gandul" which sounds like it should be a character or place from Lord of the Rings.  Actually it means "Lazy" in Spain (it means "Pigeon peas" in Latin America, which is a little closer.)

Perhaps it's an Arabic loan word like ojala.

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 30, 2017, 01:07:35 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on June 30, 2017, 01:06:01 PM

Perhaps it's an Arabic loan word like ojala.

Huh, how about that:

Gandul es sinónimo de tunante y holgazán. La palabra procede del término árabe gandur que significaba truhan.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

Check out the big brain on Yi!

Eddie Teach

Maybe he went to Harvard after all.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

WTF, is this shit unavoidable? My street is all about angry car honks because Critical Mass is taking place. I thought I left that shit with my hear in San Francisco.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on June 30, 2017, 02:45:34 PM
WTF, is this shit unavoidable? My street is all about angry car honks because Critical Mass is taking place. I thought I left that shit with my hear in San Francisco.

:cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"