News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on June 28, 2017, 04:50:47 AM
40 years since the Spanish democratic election of 1977. Despite all the ups and downs, the longest democratic, prosperous,  and peaceful period in the history of this little corner of Europe.

Congrats! May it continue for 40 more and beyond.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

40 years since the Spanish democratic election of 1977. Despite all the ups and downs, the longest democratic, prosperous,  and peaceful period in the history of this little corner of Europe.

I think the story of Spain (and Portugal) are undersung stories that show some of the real benefits of the One Europe idea.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

Quote from: grumbler on June 28, 2017, 09:45:34 AM

I think the story of Spain (and Portugal) are undersung stories that show some of the real benefits of the One Europe idea.

I just wish it can be maintained, and evolved.

HVC

The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) was named the Transit System Of The Year by the American Public Transportation Association. So.. like how bad are the other NA cities transit systems?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on June 28, 2017, 10:11:45 AM
The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) was named the Transit System Of The Year by the American Public Transportation Association. So.. like how bad are the other NA cities transit systems?

New York's is pretty good if you can overlook the billions of dollars it losses every year.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 28, 2017, 10:12:44 AM

New York's is pretty good if you can overlook the billions of dollars it losses every year.

It is only 6B. :rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

And that's why Euroscepticism is solidly at the fringe over here.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on June 28, 2017, 10:12:44 AM

That's really a political choice to spread some of the cost of the system to the general population (NYC has an income tax) and not all on the riders.  There are also deliberate inefficiencies - e.g. running the system 24/7 means running more empty cars off-peak but it's considered important to the self-definition of the city.

It's kind of a miracle that the NYC subway system runs at all, given that it is cobbled together from a bunch of different legacy companies with key infrastructure dating back over a century
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Zanza

Congratulations!!  :cheers:

Malthus

WTF?  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

So is everybody as excited for Canada's 150th Birthday this coming July 1st as this cartoon suggests Malthus? :P

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 28, 2017, 12:50:19 PM
So is everybody as excited for Canada's 150th Birthday this coming July 1st as this cartoon suggests Malthus? :P

Heh, it's the usual editorial cartoon complaint over left-wing excesses.  :lol:

As so often with such things, there's a bit of truth to it - our PM's fondness for apologizing for each and every past wrong draws a certain amount of justified jeering.

However, by and large (and excluding the usual inter-provincial bickering, particularly with Quebec over identity politics) Canadians are pretty happy about being Canadians. Our systems aren't perfect, and we have our share of past injustices and mistakes, but overall our system appears to - work pretty well? Canadian objectives have never been very immodest - "peace, order and good government". That seems well worth celebrating. 

Particularly now, where the countries we usually compare ourselves to - namely, the US and UK - appear to be in such shambles, politically speaking. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

CountDeMoney

Must be something to see since the days of Tordesillas, huh? :P

Jacob

Canada is spending $500.000.000 on the 150th anniversary celebrations. I don't think the MacKay cartoon is accurate. Of course, I've never seen a MacKay cartoon that was accurate, so that is hardly a surprise.