News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Jacob on June 28, 2017, 03:51:20 PM
Canada is spending $500.000.000 on the 150th anniversary celebrations. I don't think the MacKay cartoon is accurate. Of course, I've never seen a MacKay cartoon that was accurate, so that is hardly a surprise.

Aren't political cartoons supposed to be exaggerations and not literally accurate?

The Brain

Quote from: dps on June 28, 2017, 03:54:16 PM
Canada is spending $500.000.000 on the 150th anniversary celebrations. I don't think the MacKay cartoon is accurate. Of course, I've never seen a MacKay cartoon that was accurate, so that is hardly a surprise.

Aren't political cartoons supposed to be exaggerations and not literally accurate?

So you think Der Stürmer is fine??
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

What are the colonized and occupied parts supposed to represent?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 28, 2017, 01:27:20 PM
Beets?

The MacKay cartoons are actually drawn by Ed Anger and CdM, so naturally they wanted to get a dig in at Tamas.

Jacob

When I said "accurate" I didn't mean "literally accurate" I meant "accurate even within the relaxed parameters of editorial cartoons."

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on June 28, 2017, 04:24:41 PM
What are the colonized and occupied parts supposed to represent?

MacKay having a fit about people acknowledging the less than stellar methods used against and outcomes for our Native populations from the creation of Canada.

Josephus

Not sure why only Malthus gets asked the question.  :mad:

Anyway, yes. Canada 150 is going to be a big thing. And we're certainly glad we're not Yanks right now :lol:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josephus on June 28, 2017, 05:48:54 PM
And we're certainly glad we're not Yanks right now :lol:

Wait until October.  :P

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on June 28, 2017, 05:48:54 PM
Not sure why only Malthus gets asked the question.  :mad:

If any thing Valmy should have reached out to his Canadian doppelganger
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

The reason I asked Malthus was because he had just posted a few minutes before so I figured he was still online :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on June 28, 2017, 05:08:48 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 28, 2017, 01:27:20 PM
Beets?

The MacKay cartoons are actually drawn by Ed Anger and CdM, so naturally they wanted to get a dig in at Tamas.

Ok. But can you explain he giant rubber ducky under the upside down Canadian flag? :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on June 28, 2017, 06:21:18 PM
Ok. But can you explain he giant rubber ducky under the upside down Canadian flag? :hmm:

I'm guessing it's this: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/05/30/giant-rubber-duck-toronto_n_16882646.html

dps

Quote from: Jacob on June 28, 2017, 05:09:42 PM

When I said "accurate" I didn't mean "literally accurate" I meant "accurate even within the relaxed parameters of editorial cartoons."

Fair 'nuff.

Admiral Yi

From an Economist article about the Grand Turk's campaign to rid Turkish of foreign loan words I learned that "bosh" is derived from the Turkish word for nonsense, "bos."

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".