News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Map showing the place of origin of all the characters in the Iliad. 

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

I notice that some do not have a cross next to their name. Does that mean they are still alive?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zanza

All seems a bit far-fetched. I am hardly an expert on this, but it lacks some main characters like Helen, Paris, Priam or Cassandra...

Valmy

Yeah Hector is the only Trojan listed. I could have sworn there were other Trojan characters in the Iliad :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadBurgerMaker

Nah.  It was just Hector vs everyone while waiting for reinforcements from out of town.  The dude was pretty badass.

E:  vv Yeah, but Hector is the only actual Trojan

Admiral Yi

I think all the yellow boxes were on the Trojan side.  Note Aeneas.

alfred russel

While we are on this topic, does it strike anyone else as odd that "trojan" is the name of a condom brand?

I've always taken the name as a reference to the trojan horse--which is logical as it is the way to get inside a desired place. But then once inside the base the greeks escape from the horse and out into the fortress. Which doesn't really seem all that inspiring from a condom performance perspective...
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on February 13, 2017, 01:27:58 PM
While we are on this topic, does it strike anyone else as odd that "trojan" is the name of a condom brand?

I've always taken the name as a reference to the trojan horse--which is logical as it is the way to get inside a desired place. But then once inside the base the greeks escape from the horse and out into the fortress. Which doesn't really seem all that inspiring from a condom performance perspective...

No, it does not strike anyone else as odd that "trojan" is a brand name, because the brand you are describing would be "Trojan Horse," now wouldn't it, you fucking monkey.

Valmy

So I am a pretty big Dan Carlin guy so I saw on his twitter feed he appeared on some show by this guy named Dave Rubin. Some kind of ex-leftist turned moderate I thought. So that sounded kind of interesting so I went to check out his stuff. He had a recent interview with Glenn Beck and I had heard a bit about how Beck had changed his views over the years so I thought, hey maybe this is an ex-leftist interviewing an ex-right guy. That might be interesting.

But I couldn't even get to the interview because Rubin did this little monologue at the beginning about the Trump seven nation ban executive order thing. It was a terrible combination of false comparisons and non-sequitors and strawmen. There was even a moment when he listed some data about refugees Obama had  let in, said he did not know what the causes were behind those statistics, but then wondered why we were not all outraged by it. Um maybe if you are going to lecture people for being insufficiently OUTRAGED by something (because people are insufficiently outraged these days?) you should learn what the causes were? It just seemed very dishonest and manipulative all while putting on the pretense of being rational. It was very creepy.

I was really depressed by it. I thought for a second I had found a thoughtful commentator.

Then his twitter feed had all these 'SJW' slurs and petty insults. Are there any commentators out there who do not talk like petulant teenagers?

It is so frustrating and depressing what is out there these days. Anyway I just had to vent :P

Here is a link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deAON1QryIg&t=442s
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

I might check it out. However Samantha Bee is a comedian and I just do not feel like laughing much these days. I would prefer sound logic, rational reasoning, and insightful commentary.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on February 13, 2017, 01:58:15 PM
I might check it out. However Samantha Bee is a comedian and I just do not feel like laughing much these days. I would prefer sound logic, rational reasoning, and insightful commentary.

That's when you most need a laugh. Besides what is there to say on the latter. Any rational perspective displays it to all be shit. Not much nuance to parse.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Don't worry, she's not funny. She's only a comedian in the George Lopez/Fred Armisten/Dane Cook/Chelsea Handler sense. They make a living at it but nobody actually likes them.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 13, 2017, 03:53:18 PM

Don't worry, she's not funny. She's only a comedian in the George Lopez/Fred Armisten/Dane Cook/Chelsea Handler sense. They make a living at it but nobody actually likes them.

:rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.