News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

That's U-Bahn and S-Bahn.

Rent control was only introduced in Germany in 2015, so the effect can't be visible yet.

The Brain

Quote from: Zanza on February 11, 2016, 04:50:09 PM
Rent control was only introduced in Germany in 2015, so the effect can't be visible yet.

Why do Germans want a dysfunctional housing sector?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Iormlund

My guess is that the low prices are due to the area being relatively poor. I do know there are few industry jobs there. It was rare to see an opening in the area, whereas one can find all sort of offers all over West Germany, and especially in the South-Southwest. I would've willingly taken a hit on my salary to live there, and surely the same goes for most qualified Germans.

However there are plenty of new, well paying IT jobs. These workers with high salaries could displace older residents, which helps explain the recent change to rent control.

Zanza

Quote from: The Brain on February 11, 2016, 04:53:27 PM

I doubt that the new rent control measure will do anything, especially in the hot spots like Munich, Hamburg or Frankfurt. It limits rent increase to 10% over the average rent in the area when the renter changes. But you'll likely always find someone who is willing to pay a rent increase of more than that in the most attractive areas. So the law will just be ignored as there is no real way to enforce it.

There has always been a rule that you can't increase rent by more than 20% in 3 years. That hasn't distorted the real estate market so far.

What is much more damaging to the real estate market is the extremely low interest rates we've had for several years now. Not for renters, but for buyers.

The Brain

Quote from: Zanza on February 11, 2016, 05:12:17 PM
Quote from: The Brain on February 11, 2016, 04:53:27 PM

I doubt that the new rent control measure will do anything, especially in the hot spots like Munich, Hamburg or Frankfurt. It limits rent increase to 10% over the average rent in the area when the renter changes. But you'll likely always find someone who is willing to pay a rent increase of more than that in the most attractive areas. So the law will just be ignored as there is no real way to enforce it.

There has always been a rule that you can't increase rent by more than 20% in 3 years. That hasn't distorted the real estate market so far.

What is much more damaging to the real estate market is the extremely low interest rates we've had for several years now. Not for renters, but for buyers.

Sounds promising, let's hope it has no effect.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

Quote from: Iormlund on February 11, 2016, 05:03:10 PM
My guess is that the low prices are due to the area being relatively poor. I do know there are few industry jobs there. It was rare to see an opening in the area, whereas one can find all sort of offers all over West Germany, and especially in the South-Southwest. I would've willingly taken a hit on my salary to live there, and surely the same goes for most qualified Germans.
While there is a sizeable contigent of "Swabians" in Berlin to the extent that it has become a swearword, the population of Berlin has only grown by 30.000 people since reunification, so there can't be a massive migration to Berlin. I know quite a few people that moved there, but also quite a few people that left.

QuoteHowever there are plenty of new, well paying IT jobs. These workers with high salaries could displace older residents, which helps explain the recent change to rent control.
Aha... when I looked for jobs in Berlin the last time, they were still paid poorly compared to the South of Germany. They have fancy startup jobs there where you can work on cutting edge ideas and technology. So that might be a draw. This article also suggests that the salaries for IT experts in Berlin are less than average:
http://t3n.de/news/it-gehaelter-2015-entwickler-597308/

Josquius

Saw a similar map for London last week though it fell flat in that it was just comparing homes....so mostly flats at some stations and houses at others
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Well here is one from last fall for London. One bedroom rents.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Liep

Wondered why Hatton Cross was so cheap, googled and found out it's basically inside Heathrow Airport. :p
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

DGuller

That's a pretty lenient rent control, so it shouldn't distort things.  It should stabilize more than distort.  In US, it's far more draconian where it exists, ironically enough.  Sometimes rate of inflation is the best landlords can hope for.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on February 04, 2016, 03:30:54 AM
A friend of mine posted on Facebook a meme that is quite telling for the average joe's view in Germany:

(From a political satirist)
"For decades we keep mixing the same old parties in elections. I've been doing political satire for 30 years. Show me a single point in the last 30 years where the major parties changed something for the better for the majority of the people. I can't think of one."

It summarizes two views:
1. Current politicians don't care about the people but only their own and/or business interests.
2. Politics is something that happens to you, not something you participate in. For many years all big parties have been bleeding members, and politicians have a very bad public image. At the grass roots level (local councils) you often have independent local parties on equal footing with the traditional parties.

The annexation of East Germany happened in the last 30 years.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: DGuller on February 11, 2016, 07:43:43 PM
That's a pretty lenient rent control, so it shouldn't distort things.  It should stabilize more than distort.  In US, it's far more draconian where it exists, ironically enough.  Sometimes rate of inflation is the best landlords can hope for.

It's very old wisdom that real estate generates 5% annually. It used to be one of those things people just assumed. Things got weird since the 20th century though.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Zanza

Quote from: DGuller on February 11, 2016, 07:43:43 PM
I think it is possible to limit it to 15% in the hot spots, but that's still close to 5% annual rise, which is way beyond inflation (less than 1%).

MadImmortalMan

The cost of the property is rising that fast. Inflation may be lower, but property inflation isn't. The rising rents reflect that.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers