News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

I took French and Indian. The classroom was a fucking warzone.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 10, 2015, 05:10:47 PM
Quote from: The Larch on December 10, 2015, 05:06:44 PM
Why should Chinese be taught in high schools over here?
Millions of Chinese speak good English, so you have to be excellent in Chinese for it to have a value. If you just speak it soso, it's useless for conducting business.

So that students can make a lot of money when they graduate.

Iormlund

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 10, 2015, 05:10:47 PM
Quote from: The Larch on December 10, 2015, 05:06:44 PM
Why should Chinese be taught in high schools over here?

So that students can make a lot of money when they graduate.

I doubt there's that big a market for Chinese speakers in Europe. I've certainly never seen a job opening asking for Chinese. Asking for local language plus English is somewhat common; local plus English and German/French is rare, but it happens.

We conduct business with people from all over the globe. From Korea to the States, Southafrica to Poland. English is good enough in every case.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Iormlund on December 10, 2015, 06:32:11 PM
I doubt there's that big a market for Chinese speakers in Europe. I've certainly never seen a job opening asking for Chinese. Asking for local language plus English is somewhat common; local plus English and German/French is rare, but it happens.

We conduct business with people from all over the globe. From Korea to the States, Southafrica to Poland. English is good enough in every case.

And if someone wants to work for a multinational in China?  Or start a business buying from or selling to Chinese?

Josquius

Chinese is pretty in demand I hear. Sure plenty of Chinese know English but. ... I don't know. I guess people feel better with someone from their culture that speaks a foreign language than a foreigner who speaks their language?  Certainly if you want two chinese speakers I think it would be best to have one of each.
Plus managing to learn Chinese shows you're pretty smart.

But I actually think more schools in the UK should teach Dutch or a Scandinavian language. Learning a language in school.... only a small percentage of people will ever get to a useful level with it. It's more about the process of learning a foreign language. Subsequent languages become much easier when you "get" one.  Much easier to do with something close to English.
Plus it really helps develop a deeper understanding of english.
In the north at least learning Danish would be a great cultural thing. 
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 10, 2015, 07:49:16 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on December 10, 2015, 06:32:11 PM

And if someone wants to work for a multinational in China?  Or start a business buying from or selling to Chinese?

This is high school, not business school.

Valmy

Tyr's hates France and French people. Story at 23 heures
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on December 10, 2015, 09:13:29 PM
Tyr's hates France and French people. Story at 23 heures

What a northerner. Though my employee form near Manchester laments that she didn't study French.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on December 10, 2015, 08:36:30 PM

What a strange thing to say.

Jaron

Lord have mercy.

Today I was in a two hour meeting and I took 3.5 pages of technical notes I was supposed to submit in our bug/feature system at work. I opened my lap top to get started and my virtual notepad got wiped out.  :cry: :cry: :cry:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

Sorry for hacking your notepad.  :sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

Questionable wrestling in the Ukrainian parliament.

Afterwards a fight breaks out among the entire parliament. I'm sure videos are incoming :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Apparently a MP tried to carry the PM out of the building. :lol:

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 10, 2015, 09:23:23 PM
Quote from: The Larch on December 10, 2015, 08:36:30 PM

What a strange thing to say.

Well, you are proposing changing secondary education for the general population to cater for the needs of a few people that will embark in high flying business careers, and I think that's wrong.

Josquius

I went cycling in the countryside.  A lot of people saying hello and laughing at me. One girl who looked about 13 thought hello cowboy was a good thing to say. Hmm.....
██████
██████
██████