News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on December 11, 2015, 06:15:59 AM
I went cycling in the countryside.  A lot of people saying hello and laughing at me. One girl who looked about 13 thought hello cowboy was a good thing to say. Hmm.....

These are called good times; you'll remember the experience* the rest of you life.

*I'm assuming you're still in Cambodia.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

:lol:

I was wondering why a Swiss girl would think he resembled a cowboy.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on December 11, 2015, 09:57:52 AM
I went cycling in the countryside.  A lot of people saying hello and laughing at me. One girl who looked about 13 thought hello cowboy was a good thing to say. Hmm.....

These are called good times; you'll remember the experience* the rest of you life.

Unless he will be robbed. Well, actually, he will remember that as well. Unless they murder him. But then he will still remember that for the rest of his life I guess :P

Malthus

Quote from: Tamas on December 11, 2015, 10:09:47 AM
Unless he will be robbed. Well, actually, he will remember that as well. Unless they murder him. But then he will still remember that for the rest of his life I guess :P

Well you know what they say: give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for an hour; set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

[apologies to Terry Pratchet]
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Iormlund

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 10, 2015, 07:49:16 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on December 10, 2015, 06:32:11 PM
I doubt there's that big a market for Chinese speakers in Europe. I've certainly never seen a job opening asking for Chinese. Asking for local language plus English is somewhat common; local plus English and German/French is rare, but it happens.

We conduct business with people from all over the globe. From Korea to the States, Southafrica to Poland. English is good enough in every case.

And if someone wants to work for a multinational in China?  Or start a business buying from or selling to Chinese?

My experience in a sector with frequent/long term travel is that talent pool is extremely restricted already. If you want an experienced field engineer to spend 9 months in an industrial city in mainland China you are going to have trouble finding any qualified candidates, much less any that speak Mandarin as well.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on December 11, 2015, 10:09:47 AM
Quote from: mongers on December 11, 2015, 09:57:52 AM

The people here are rather lovely.  Even the inevitable leeches around tourist places aren't half as bad as those in Thailand. 
I am avoiding the capital though. Capital folk tend to be more staby than their country brethren
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

In which part of Cambodia are you?

Malthus

I wanted to go to Ankor Wat, but Cambodia was just a trifle too dangerous still when I was last in that part of the world, oh a quarter of a century or so ago. I did go to Issan province in Thailand, though, to visit various Khmer ruins.

Lovely people, very unused to tourists, many surreal encounters. On one bus, a gaggle of giggling Thai/Khmer (?) peasant women surrounded my wife - they literally could not believe how weird she looked (they were particularly taken by her long blonde hair and her thin little fingers and nose - their own fingers were more like calloused paws, from years of hard agricultural work). They were very friendly, almost too much so - they mimed permission to feel her hands, and did so (oohing and aaahing). It was like a commercial for Palmolive gone insane.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

MadImmortalMan

1: She was a prostitute.

2: She was making fun of you.

3: Both.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

Yes. It did seem the sort of thing a thai prostitute would say.
Weird for a kid to be saying that though, she did seem to be just a normal kid hanging out with her friends. Wonder where she picked it up

Quote from: The Larch on December 11, 2015, 11:10:24 AM
In which part of Cambodia are you?
Battambang
██████
██████
██████

Josquius

Quote from: Malthus on December 11, 2015, 11:23:40 AM
I wanted to go to Ankor Wat, but Cambodia was just a trifle too dangerous still when I was last in that part of the world, oh a quarter of a century or so ago. I did go to Issan province in Thailand, though, to visit various Khmer ruins.

Lovely people, very unused to tourists, many surreal encounters. On one bus, a gaggle of giggling Thai/Khmer (?) peasant women surrounded my wife - they literally could not believe how weird she looked (they were particularly taken by her long blonde hair and her thin little fingers and nose - their own fingers were more like calloused paws, from years of hard agricultural work). They were very friendly, almost too much so - they mimed permission to feel her hands, and did so (oohing and aaahing). It was like a commercial for Palmolive gone insane.  :D

A different time. Issen these days is famous as being where all tha thai bar girls and hookers come from. :ph34r:

I do wonder how long cambodia will remain nice as more tourists and more money comes in.
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Quote from: Tyr on December 11, 2015, 07:13:53 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 11, 2015, 11:23:40 AM

A different time. Issen these days is famous as being where all tha thai bar girls and hookers come from. :ph34r:

Maybe Malthus and his wife inspired the change...The local legend of rich westerners with amazingly soft skin was born, and imparted to the new generation. 25 years later, hearing these stories all their lives, the next generation has moved to the city to seek out ways to make money just from touching these strange and wonderful people.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

I bet she crushes men to death with her legs like in Golden Eye.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017