News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: Tyr on March 14, 2014, 10:17:54 PM
I'm saying christmas over and over now. When I try to leave a definite lack of something between s and m it sounds odd. There should by a bit of a gottal stop in there.
Saying just "Chris-mas" sounds Dickensian.  IPA is krĭsʹməs, so it looks like that ' indicates a kind of stop. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Admiral Yi

A glottal stop does not a t make.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

I love Timothy Spall :wub:
QuoteWho would play you in the film of your life?
Me, but if I wasn't available, Beyoncé.

What is your most unappealing habit?
I'm prone to flatulence and its undeserved glorification.
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/mar/15/timothy-spall-interview
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Why is it that when I check the list of posters browsing the forum we have a huge number of guests, many of which are reading really old threads?

Also, why do I see that some of them are supposedly registering for a new account, when we never get new members?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josquius

I succesfully managed to stay out all night yesterday. It wasn't anywhere near as horrible as I feared it would be. Quite interesting though to go to McDonalds at 4am. The place is full of middle aged men sleeping....
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: alfred russel on March 16, 2014, 12:19:59 AM
Why is it that when I check the list of posters browsing the forum we have a huge number of guests, many of which are reading really old threads?

Also, why do I see that some of them are supposedly registering for a new account, when we never get new members?

Neil or Moldy can explain it better, but I guess that most if not all of those guest are not people but bots, and their attempts at registering are all shot down or blocked by admins.

PDH

Quote from: The Larch on March 16, 2014, 06:54:50 AM

Neil or Moldy can explain it better, but I guess that most if not all of those guest are not people but bots, and their attempts at registering are all shot down or blocked by admins.

I just made $8500.00 working from home!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: The Larch on March 16, 2014, 06:54:50 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 16, 2014, 12:19:59 AM

Yes, they are most likely bots.  The registration page now has a clever "Are you human?" question that is extremely effective at preventing them from registering.  Prior to that we had to go with admin approval of all accounts because of the rate of bot sign-ups.  We were getting well over a hundred a day at one point.  I don't keep statistics on the number of times the registration's human check fails, but I should start.

Admiral Yi

Today's NYT has an opinion piece in which the author compares Paul Ryan's attitude towards the poor with Britain's attitude towards the victims of the potato famine, from which Ryan's ancestors fled.  :lol:

alfred russel

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 16, 2014, 08:15:35 AM

Yes, they are most likely bots.  The registration page now has a clever "Are you human?" question that is extremely effective at preventing them from registering.  Prior to that we had to go with admin approval of all accounts because of the rate of bot sign-ups.  We were getting well over a hundred a day at one point.  I don't keep statistics on the number of times the registration's human check fails, but I should start.

100 a day? The machines are testing our defenses. Is this the start of the singularity?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Is that also why the guests are reading posts from a long time ago?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 16, 2014, 11:43:04 AM
Today's NYT has an opinion piece in which the author compares Paul Ryan's attitude towards the poor with Britain's attitude towards the victims of the potato famine, from which Ryan's ancestors fled.  :lol:

Pretty Boy needs more nuns on buses, chasing his ass.

Ed Anger

The myxoid cyst on mah pointin' finger has returned. Gross.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive