And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 29, 2009, 08:29:43 PM
Quote from: Neil on September 29, 2009, 08:28:48 PM
Russia at the Persian Gulf?  Could never happen.  It would mean war, instantly and without the possibility for it to be avoided.
How do you know there wasn't a war? They also have Istanbul/Constantinople.
Yet appear to have less in Armenia than they did historically.   :mad:
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Queequeg on September 29, 2009, 08:49:02 PM
Russia at the Persian Gulf?  Could never happen.  It would mean war, instantly and without the possibility for it to be avoided.
Are you sure? :unsure:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 29, 2009, 08:24:39 PM
but the thing that catches my eye now is how large the Portuguese Empire got.

:rolleyes: Your own imagination surprises you.  Wow.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

One day, Tim will solve the mystery of his own shadow.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Habbaku on September 29, 2009, 08:50:47 PM
but the thing that catches my eye now is how large the Portuguese Empire got.

:rolleyes: Your own imagination surprises you.  Wow.

What I meant was I did go into it planning to make it that big, it just kind of happened as I gave them a little more  and a little more until they got where they are. I had only planned out the British and Russian Empires and built the rest of the map around that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Agelastus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 29, 2009, 08:50:15 PM

Your border seems to be east of Kars, which the Russians lost to the Ottomans in 1918.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Queequeg

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 29, 2009, 08:50:15 PM
The Turks appear to control Erzurum-Karin and Kars, and if they controlled the Bosphorus they'd probably also control most of the Armenian Highlands, up to and possibly including Diyarbakir-Amida, and Trebizond would probably go to the Greeks, along with a portion of the Ionian Coast. Turkey would have been largely fucked. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Quote from: Agelastus on September 29, 2009, 08:57:17 PM

Your border seems to be east of Kars, which the Russians lost to the Ottomans in 1918.
You know, for a guy with an incredibly geeky anime avatar, you really know your shit. 

jimmy olsen

I just went by the base map I showed Raz, is it wrong? I didn't change the east Turkish border.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Agelastus

Quote from: Queequeg on September 29, 2009, 08:58:53 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on September 29, 2009, 08:57:17 PM

You know, for a guy with an incredibly geeky anime avatar, you really know your shit.

Anime's a sideline - my first love was history. I even have a BA (First Class) from King's College London to prove it.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on September 29, 2009, 05:04:26 PM
That's hilarious.

Guy jerks off in front of lady's window. Gets caught on camera. Gets charged. Charges get mysteriously withdrawn. Guy gets lawyer and gets woman to remove camera.

"Take that bitch. I want to wank in front of your daughter. Leave me the fuck alone."

Only in America.

Oh, wait....this one's in Canada.  :mad:

I thought he got the camera's removed becasue they were pointed into his parents window or some shit? Anyway, fucked up that he's still a neighbour. can't they get a restraining order and get his ass kicked of his parents place?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on September 29, 2009, 04:59:38 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 29, 2009, 04:43:52 PM
I blame Beeb for this:

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2009/09/29/11181241-sun.html

All lawyers need to be shoved into ovens right after tim.

It's a story from the Sun. Treat with caution.  :lol:
but it's so much easier to read on the subway. stupid foldy newspapers.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Zoupa

Something quick and fun I whipped up. The first map I've made in almost a year I think, not meant to be too serious. I was originally focusing on the rival British and Russian Empires when I made this map, but the thing that catches my eye now is how large the Portuguese Empire got.

I like how there`s about 6 countries left in the whole world, and one of them is albania.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Zoupa on September 29, 2009, 10:33:00 PM
Something quick and fun I whipped up. The first map I've made in almost a year I think, not meant to be too serious. I was originally focusing on the rival British and Russian Empires when I made this map, but the thing that catches my eye now is how large the Portuguese Empire got.

I like how there`s about 6 countries left in the whole world, and one of them is albania.
:D

30 countries.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

Quote from: Zoupa on September 29, 2009, 10:33:00 PM

Iskander strikes again.

-J. R. R. Tolkien