News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Our Queen is having difficulty doing her new year's speech. Mispronouncing words, not making sense (skipping paragraphs perhaps), etc. But she's still berating us as per usual, and of course, sending regards to Greenland, Faroe Islands and the Danes in North Germany.

All is still well in the Kingdom of Denmark.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

Thank fuck 2013 is over.
This 2014 business seems somehow significant given 86+14=100.
Not that I'm feeling particularly depressed at the moment or anything but theoretically it does seem it would be a nice round bookend year. Hopefully there'll be some sort of good luck in it.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Computer systems decided to take off for the night early, got sent home, and am off tomorrow.  WEAK.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

sbr

Quote from: Tyr on December 31, 2013, 12:26:04 PM

What?

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Tyr on December 31, 2013, 12:26:04 PM

I don't get it

Eddie Teach

Maybe he was born in '86. Half his life spent in 21st century? Kind of a stretch to give that significance, but /shrug
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

I was born in 86.
There is nothing significant about 2014 but 14+86=100 and I guess I'm just weird about round numbers and sets sometimes.
When I was a kid I would never get out of bed on anything but a 0 or a 5.

edit-
I hadn't considered the half my life in the 21st century angle. hmm....interesting.
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

Quote from: Tyr on December 31, 2013, 12:47:18 PM
There is nothing significant about 2014 but 14+86=100 and I guess I'm just weird about round numbers and sets sometimes.

:wacko:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ideologue

9 + 1 + 1 = 11.  1 + 1 = 2.  Twin towers.  GET IT?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

lustindarkness

Quote from: Tyr on December 31, 2013, 12:47:18 PM
I was born in 86.

edit-
I hadn't considered the half my life in the 21st century angle. hmm....interesting.

:nelson:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Hey Beeb, have you ever heard of Jesse Willms?  Alberta native, according to an Atlantic article he is "The Dark Lord of the Internet."

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 31, 2013, 01:16:03 PM
Hey Beeb, have you ever heard of Jesse Willms?  Alberta native, according to an Atlantic article he is "The Dark Lord of the Internet."

Did some quick googling.  Interesting, but no I haven't heard of him.

Typical he's being charged by the FTC, and not anyone in Canada.  We're terrible at prosecuting commercial crimes. <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on December 31, 2013, 01:31:55 PM
We're terrible at prosecuting commercial crimes. <_<
You guys should take some lessons from us.  :)

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on December 31, 2013, 01:37:13 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 31, 2013, 01:31:55 PM
We're terrible at prosecuting commercial crimes. <_<
You guys should take some lessons from us.  :)

When I say "we're terrible at prosecuting commercial crimes" I really mean "the police are terrible at investigating commercial crimes". <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.