News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Mostly my cats just like to chill.  They just hang out around me.  I bought a little cat bed and placed it next to the computer (before that the cat was just laying on the computer or the router).
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 29, 2012, 11:04:13 PM
I'd put a laughing smilie here, but Ide broke the chain.  :mad:

Sorry, Stevie.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

From the Economist, the amount of annual revenue the US would raise by eliminating the following deductions, in billions:

Health insurance:  171
Capital gains and dividends: 97 (I guess they mean if they were taxed like income?)
401k, IRA: 93
Mortgage interest: 87
Accelerated depreciation: 76
Employer pension plans: 44
Deferral of tax on foreign profits: 42
Charitable contributions: 33
State and local taxes: 33
Municipal bond interest: 29

Josephus

State and local taxes should be allowed to be deducted cause you shouldn't pay taxes on taxes. But the rest of it, as far as I'm concerned, should go.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

DGuller

Health insurance deduction definitely shouldn't go.  Group health insurance provided in the workplace is the only piece of duct tape even remotely holding together the whole heath insurance system in US, and will continue to be so after the 5-4 decision in June.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

The son will already hate his dad forever for raising him to be a sports fan in Cleveland.  The Browns, Cavs, and Indians would make me want to beat dogs as well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

The Cleveland fan must teach his son 3 things. To ride a '77 Comet, to throw snowballs at the other team from the Dawg pound and to hate LeBron James.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Zanza

Ninety-Six Break-Ins Solved
German Police Identify Burglar by His Earprints

Criminals beware -- don't leave earprints. They are as useful to the police as finger prints. A burglar in Germany made the mistake of pressing his ear to front doors to check if anyone was home. The unique prints have allowed the police to pin 96 burglaries on him.

Police in Germany said on Sunday they had solved a series of 96 burglaries by identifying the culprit using the earprints he had left at the scenes while listening at doors.

The 33-year old man from Macedonia was arrested and temporarily held in custody last December after committing a burglary in Kiel, police in Hamburg said in a statement.
He has now been linked to the burglaries in Hamburg, some 90 kilometers south of Kiel, through matches of DNA, fingerprints and earprints that were taken off him. He had stolen jewellery, cash and electronic equipment worth a total of €500,000 ($660,000).

"Earprints are of similar value as fingerprints in terms of evidence," police said. "The Macedonian was proven to have left the 96 earprints and other evidence at the crime scenes."

sbr

Quote from: Valmy on April 30, 2012, 09:26:16 AM
The son will already hate his dad forever for raising him to be a sports fan in Cleveland.  The Browns, Cavs, and Indians would make me want to beat dogs as well.
The kid is prepping for his 2040 Presidential run.

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on April 30, 2012, 10:47:40 AM
Ninety-Six Break-Ins Solved
German Police Identify Burglar by His Earprints

Criminals beware -- don't leave earprints. They are as useful to the police as finger prints. A burglar in Germany made the mistake of pressing his ear to front doors to check if anyone was home. The unique prints have allowed the police to pin 96 burglaries on him.

Police in Germany said on Sunday they had solved a series of 96 burglaries by identifying the culprit using the earprints he had left at the scenes while listening at doors.

The 33-year old man from Macedonia was arrested and temporarily held in custody last December after committing a burglary in Kiel, police in Hamburg said in a statement.
He has now been linked to the burglaries in Hamburg, some 90 kilometers south of Kiel, through matches of DNA, fingerprints and earprints that were taken off him. He had stolen jewellery, cash and electronic equipment worth a total of €500,000 ($660,000).

"Earprints are of similar value as fingerprints in terms of evidence," police said. "The Macedonian was proven to have left the 96 earprints and other evidence at the crime scenes."
I guess the idiom should be changed to "keep your ear to the ground, but not too close to the ground".

Tonitrus

There was an interesting tidbit in the Russian news last week....

One of the lead anchors for NTV (a channel that has had "issues" in the past with Putin and the government), in an multi-journalist round table interview with outgoing President Medvedev, ask about government censorship and how he felt that he kept hitting walls in not being able to report what he felt was his duty to report to the public.  Medvedev basically dodged, said there was no government censorship, and that he should direct his complaints to the heads of the television networks.

More interesting, was the small bit a chit-chat with his female co-anchor (who, btw, is quite a hottie, even with the Vulcan haircut) after the news piece on the interview aired...where she essentially asked him: "are you sure it was a good idea to ask the President -that- question?"...his reply..."eh, well, too late now".

DGuller

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 30, 2012, 12:39:25 PM
There was an interesting tidbit in the Russian news last week....

One of the lead anchors for NTV (a channel that has had "issues" in the past with Putin and the government), in an multi-journalist round table interview with outgoing President Medvedev, ask about government censorship and how he felt that he kept hitting walls in not being able to report what he felt was his duty to report to the public.  Medvedev basically dodged, said there was no government censorship, and that he should direct his complaints to the heads of the television networks.

More interesting, was the small bit a chit-chat with his female co-anchor (who, btw, is quite a hottie, even with the Vulcan haircut) after the news piece on the interview aired...where she essentially asked him: "are you sure it was a good idea to ask the President -that- question?"...his reply..."eh, well, too late now".
I don't think it's fair to say that NTV had issues with the government in the past.  It's more accurate to say that there used to be a channel called NTV that had issues with Putin, which is why it "used to be".  There is now a channel called NTV that bears very little resemblance to the old NTV.

Admiral Yi

Also from the Economist, Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan already have higher per capita income in PPP terms than Japan, and Korea(!) is predicted to match Japan in 2017.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 30, 2012, 06:06:25 PM
Also from the Economist, Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan already have higher per capita income in PPP terms than Japan, and Korea(!) is predicted to match Japan in 2017.
I find this hard to believe. Taiwan didn't seem nearly as developed as Korea, and I spent my whole time in Taipei!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point