News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

katmai

Wtf! No one wanted me to be on their jury. Fine, screw the lot of them.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on April 03, 2012, 05:42:20 PM

:lol:  Poor bastard.

mongers

Was it a sunny day outside ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

katmai

Quote from: mongers on April 03, 2012, 05:46:02 PM

Was it a sunny day outside ?
It is beautiful out.

katmai

QuoteTitanic' re-released: James Cameron made just one change
Not many people could claim director James Cameron's attention to detail. But with astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, the man has met his match.

The director of "Avatar" apparently made only one change to his re-release of the three-hour-plus drama "Titanic": the sky. And he did this following the incessant lobbying of one very annoying astrophysicist.

As recounted by Tyson, he noticed that in a pivotal scene with (SPOILER ALERT) Kate Winslet as Rose clinging to a piece of the boat under the night sky, the left half of the sky was a reflection of the right half. In other words, not the stars she would have seen that night, but a Hollywood fake-out.

Tyson mentioned the story at a panel discussion back in 2009, saying, "There she is looking up. There is only one sky she should have been looking at ... and it was the wrong sky! Worse than that, it was not only the wrong sky; the left half of the sky was a mirror reflection of the right half of the sky! It was not only wrong, it was lazy! And I'm thinking, 'This is wrong.'"

Since Cameron went to such lengths to get so many details of the ship and that night right, Tyson felt justified in complaining about the sky, even if the only people who notice the error are astronomers.

As James Cameron confirmed with Discovery, "Neil deGrasse Tyson sent me quite a snarky email saying that, at that time of year, in that position in the Atlantic in 1912, when Rose (Kate Winslet) is lying on the piece of driftwood and staring up at the stars, that is not the star field she would have seen."

He added, "And with my reputation as a perfectionist, I should have known that and I should have put the right star field in." As the director told the U.K. magazine Culture, "So I said, 'All right, you (so and so), send me the right stars for the exact time, 4:20 a.m. on April 15, 1912, and I'll put it in the movie.' So that's the one shot that has been changed."

The new 3D version of the film, with the right night sky, is out this week.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

FunkMonk

That reminds me of when Tyson appeared on The Daily Show and he told Stewart the world was spinning in the wrong direction in the show's intro.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

Well, history nerds do it all the time (that musket wasn't used in that battle, this variant of tank didn't deploy to Africa etc.), so why shouldn't astronomy nerds. Besides, I like Tyson.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

when everyone is trying to get out of jury duty and you fail to make it that's kind of sad :console:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on April 03, 2012, 11:00:23 PM
Well, history nerds do it all the time (that musket wasn't used in that battle, this variant of tank didn't deploy to Africa etc.), so why shouldn't astronomy nerds. Besides, I like Tyson.

Yeah, that guy rocks.  Kudos to him for busting Cameron's chops via snarky email.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Ideologue

I've got some awful insomnia lately.  I come home from the document mines, feeling like I'm gonna pass out, then revive around midnight.  It's fucked up.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on April 04, 2012, 02:49:46 AM
I've got some awful insomnia lately.  I come home from the document mines, feeling like I'm gonna pass out, then revive around midnight.  It's fucked up.

Yeah, I'm pretty only sleeping from 2am to 5am, with the occasional combat nap.  That's what people with sleep disorders do;  not sleep.
Impending severance and the whole "WTF am I going to do with the rest of my life within the next 60 to 90 days" thing doesn't help.