Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 17, 2012, 03:07:44 AM
View image, magnify.

Though on my screen, it's plenty big.

That would take too much effort.

Lettow77

I wish I had the talent to write something like To An Athlete Dying Young.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Eddie Teach

Female bears are called sows?  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 17, 2012, 03:12:11 AM
Life an Alaskan bear, Grizzly Boar 6041 (code name: katmai):
:snort: :XD:

garbon

Off to my first writing class!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Watching the AMC show Hell on Wheels, a post US Civil War era show filmed mostly in Neil and BB country. Anyways, they used the term "trench foot" which surprised me. I thought that was a WW1 term, but I guess it predates that?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

Quote from: Josephus on January 17, 2012, 05:54:53 PM
Watching the AMC show Hell on Wheels, a post US Civil War era show filmed mostly in Neil and BB country. Anyways, they used the term "trench foot" which surprised me. I thought that was a WW1 term, but I guess it predates that?

While I don't know if they used that term, but I bet they had that problem at Vicksburg and Petersburg.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

QuoteDeputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin says the United States may have rendered their Phobos-Grunt Mars spacecraft useless using a radar installation on the Marshall Islands.

LOL, Russians.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Habbaku

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/world-war-2/9009651/The-British-POW-who-stitched-an-insult-to-Hitler.html

QuoteMajor Alexis Casdagli, who was taken prisoner in 1941, had turned to embroidery as a way of protecting his sanity against the tedium of POW life but he also found it provided a means of covert resistance.

An innocent looking tapestry stitched by the officer in December 1941 bears the rather bland text stating the name and location of its creator and the date. But in a border surrounding the text Major Casdagli also stitched a series of dots and dashes, which in Morse code spelt out "God Save the King" and "---- Hitler".

Unaware of the hidden message but impressed with the captive officer's needlework, the Germans even put it on display.

"It used to give him pleasure when the Germans were doing the rounds," Tony Casdagli, the major's 79-year-old son, told the Daily Mail.

"It also stopped him going mad. He would say after the war that the Red Cross saved his life but his embroidery saved his sanity."

Despite the risk of a keen-eyed German guard deciphering the Morse message the piece of embroidery was hung on walls at all the camps Major Casdagli stayed in till his release in 1945.

Tony Casdagli also revealed that his father had stitched on a flap to a Union Jack, bearing the message "Do not open": a mocking reference to a Nazi law banning the British flag.

The major continued to embroider till his death in 1990 but his tapestry with its coded words of defiance is now on display at the Victoria and Albert Museum.

:)
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Lettow77

Doldrums, tedium, megrims and the outrages of life's low points are absolutely worth the wonderful ebullience that from time to time enraptures me.

I am so very fond of all of you, Languish!
mina-san, arigato~

CountDeMoney

Lettow77

jimmy olsen

If only Sav was still here. :(

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

They cast Anne Frank and Frau Katt as humans? Disappointing.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

I cannot get my fucking sleep schedule back on track.  It doesn't matter if I work at 10, I'm still up now at 5, and I just sleep till 2 the next chance I get.

Ugh.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)