Massacre at historic African American Church in Charleston

Started by jimmy olsen, June 18, 2015, 12:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on July 06, 2015, 05:11:17 AM
Well, it was a picture they re-posted from some page they liked, but still.

I also liked one along the lines, "Why is it when you say your opinion it's 1st Amendment rights, and when I do it it's hate speech?" Well, maybe it's the content of your opinion? :P

Presumably talking to an American, not you.  Your rights are actually pretty circumscribed in that regard. :P

I always love it when people invoke the First Amendment before private actors who simply tell them something they've said is dumb or offensive.  OMG MAH FREEDOM
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

Quote from: Ideologue on July 06, 2015, 05:30:38 AM
Presumably talking to an American, not you.  Your rights are actually pretty circumscribed in that regard. :P
Yeah. :P

QuoteI always love it when people invoke the First Amendment before private actors who simply tell them something they've said is dumb or offensive.  OMG MAH FREEDOM

Well, my sisters have been in the U.S. for only 20+ years, so you can't expect them to know the finer points of civil rights (the two oldest are naturalized, though).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

They hooked up with military dudes, right?

It has seemed to me, that in many cases, military wives are the type who usually just take on and parrot/identify/embody with everything about their husbands.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 06, 2015, 02:14:17 PM

It has seemed to me, that in many cases, military wives are the type who usually just take on and parrot/identify/embody with everything about their husbands.

They better, or they lose that stream of nylons and chocolate bars.

Syt

Yes, but I would say they're more politically interested/informed than their husbands. My middle sister is an interesting case - she became prejudiced against Hispanics when they were in El Paso, and against black when they lived in North Carolina. I figure if she lived in Vancouver she'd become prejudiced against Asians.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Habbaku

Quote from: Syt on July 06, 2015, 04:37:44 AM
"If we're going to remove the Confederate Flag because it's divisive and racist, then we need to remove the president and his administration for the same reasons."
- My sisters, Facebook :bleeding:

Martinus will be along shortly to ask why you are friended to them.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Then he will ask why you are not legally allowed to be incestuously married to them in a polygamous manner.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on July 06, 2015, 02:35:32 PM

Yes, but I would say they're more politically interested/informed than their husbands. My middle sister is an interesting case - she became prejudiced against Hispanics when they were in El Paso, and against black when they lived in North Carolina. I figure if she lived in Vancouver she'd become prejudiced against Asians.

The real trouble begins when he's posted to Europe ...  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

lustindarkness

"If we're going to remove the Confederate Flag because it's divisive and racist, then we need to remove the president and his administration for the same reasons."

Good logic.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on July 06, 2015, 02:56:18 PM

Martinus will be along shortly to ask why you are friended to them.

Quote from: Valmy on July 06, 2015, 02:57:38 PM
Then he will ask why you are not legally allowed to be incestuously married to them in a polygamous manner.

:lol:

The Brain

When I meet an African-American woman I normally ask "Poly? Want a cracker?".
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on July 06, 2015, 03:03:48 PM
When I meet an African-American woman I normally ask "Poly? Want a cracker?".

Since when is parroting a thing?

Oh wait, urban dictionary tells me it is that thing of like when you put your penis on someone's shoulder like a parrot. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Malthus on July 06, 2015, 02:58:12 PM
Quote from: Syt on July 06, 2015, 02:35:32 PM

They are Germans...maybe that is where it comes from.  :P

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on July 06, 2015, 02:58:12 PM

Their husbands have been out of the military for a long time, so unlikely to happen. ;)

Also, from last night:

:lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould