Massacre at historic African American Church in Charleston

Started by jimmy olsen, June 18, 2015, 12:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

It amazes me that anyone thinks this knee-jerk shit will somehow stop racism.  It's probably only going to make it worse actually.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on June 25, 2015, 09:34:19 AM
It amazes me that anyone thinks this knee-jerk shit will somehow stop racism.  It's probably only going to make it worse actually.

I am amazed you think people think they are stopping racism. This is about covering your ass so you don't look racist.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on June 25, 2015, 09:25:18 AM
Apple is removing Civil War games from the app store because of the confederate flag. 

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/06/25/apple-removes-civil-war-games-confederate-flag/

:thumbsdown:

It really baffles me why this awful incident has turned into a backlash against the Confederate battle flag.  I mean hell - the shooter seemed more entranced with South Africa and Rhodesia than with the CSA.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on June 25, 2015, 09:48:50 AM
Apple is removing Civil War games from the app store because of the confederate flag. 

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/06/25/apple-removes-civil-war-games-confederate-flag/

It really baffles me why this awful incident has turned into a backlash against the Confederate battle flag.  I mean hell - the shooter seemed more entranced with South Africa and Rhodesia than with the CSA.

You don't see a link?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 25, 2015, 09:49:31 AM

You don't see a link?

Pretty tenuous one.  You'd think talking about gun control would be a more obvious public discussion to have.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on June 25, 2015, 09:37:42 AM
Quote from: Caliga on June 25, 2015, 09:34:19 AM

I am amazed you think people think they are stopping racism. This is about covering your ass so you don't look racist.

Yep, this thing is snowballing and nobody wants to be the target of two minutes hate from bloggers, twitter users, etc.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Kleves

Not to anyone in particular, but I don't understand the argument that flying the flag is a celebration of the south's "heritage" or any such thing. Presumably you fly the flag because you think there's something worthy in the cause it represents, and I don't see anything that the Confederate flag represents other than racism, treason, and terrorism. That said, removing Civil Wars games and the like from the Apple store is 100% retarded.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on June 25, 2015, 09:51:05 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 25, 2015, 09:49:31 AM

You don't see a link?

Pretty tenuous one.  You'd think talking about gun control would be a more obvious public discussion to have.

It happened in South Carolina.  South Carolina happens to fly the Confederate flag on state capitol grounds.  Never let a tragedy/crisis/whatever go to waste, I suppose.

Had it happened in Ohio or Michigan there would be no opportunity to go after that flag, so the focus would probably be on guns.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Kleves on June 25, 2015, 09:53:29 AM
Not to anyone in particular, but I don't understand the argument that flying the flag is a celebration of the south's "heritage" or any such thing. Presumably you fly the flag because you think there's something worthy in the cause it represents, and I don't see anything that the Confederate flag represents other than racism, treason, and terrorism.

I think you, like most others here, are over-thinking it.  For most people who display the flag in some way, shape, or form I think they're just saying "hey, look at me-- I'm from the South". 

edit: For Cooter, it stands for "Courage and Family and Good Times" :lol:

http://www.people.com/article/dukes-hazzard-actor-defends-confederate-flag-ben-jones

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 25, 2015, 09:51:05 AM

The flag was used as a symbol of segregation and white supremacy after the war so that is the link.

The gun control discussion? Racism kills people not guns.

Martinus