Started by Martinus, May 13, 2015, 07:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Norgy on March 26, 2016, 12:29:59 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 26, 2016, 11:38:39 AM
Quote from: Norgy on March 26, 2016, 10:09:44 AM
Aye. And the terribly sad ending.  :cry:

Did the hot nazi win?

[spoiler]Ciri has lost all confidence, due to me taking the emperor's money, trying to comfort her by saying she can't be good at everything after Kaer Moehn and wanting to babysit when she meets those horrible sorceresses. So she's gone. Dead, presumably. The game ends with Geralt back in Velen tracking a werewolf, who'll tell him where the last crone's fled, so he can retrieve Vesemir's amulet as a memento of Cirilla. The final image is of Geralt poring over the amulet, while ghouls, drowners and assorted creeps gather outside the shack.[/spoiler]

Ouch that sucks. My worst ending was better than that (I played through the game twice).

Norgy

I thought everyone deserved better, so I'll give it another run from Kaer Moehn and onwards. Pity I did those scavenger hunt quests for decent Witcher gear after that save.  :hmm:

Norgy

Mart, any idea whether the novels are worth buying? Amazon UK have them in English.

Valmy

Are the first two games worth playing first? Or should I just get this one?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on March 30, 2016, 02:18:06 PM
just get this one.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on March 30, 2016, 02:27:15 PM
just get this one.

Interesting. Will do. Care to explain why? Are the other two subpar? Are they not closely related to the plot of this game for some reason?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Norgy

I found the first one a bit too scripted.
I am trying the second one now, just to get some backstory for all that stuff I have experienced in number three. The controls are somewhat confusing and the fighting minigames suck to high heaven. Story seems good, though.

The Witcher 3 gets a Huge Norgy Seal Of Major Approval. Probably the best action RPG I have played. I love TES as much as anyone on this forum, but the universe of Geralt of Rivia is actually more interesting.

Norgy

Quote from: Valmy on March 30, 2016, 02:28:52 PM
just get this one.

Interesting. Will do. Care to explain why? Are the other two subpar? Are they not closely related to the plot of this game for some reason?

Both are quite closely related to the plot, Valmy.
The first one was not a game for me. Witcher 2 isn't half bad but rather more restricted than 3. But I kind of understand more of the plot of 3 after having played 2 a bit.

The Witcher 3 has some of the best side quests since Morrowind.

11B4V

Quote from: Norgy on March 30, 2016, 04:06:17 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 30, 2016, 02:28:52 PM
just get this one.

Both are quite closely related to the plot, Valmy.
The first one was not a game for me. Witcher 2 isn't half bad but rather more restricted than 3. But I kind of understand more of the plot of 3 after having played 2 a bit.

They were very good and thought out.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Martinus

Quote from: Norgy on March 30, 2016, 02:30:08 PM

I found the first one a bit too scripted.
I am trying the second one now, just to get some backstory for all that stuff I have experienced in number three. The controls are somewhat confusing and the fighting minigames suck to high heaven. Story seems good, though.

The Witcher 3 gets a Huge Norgy Seal Of Major Approval. Probably the best action RPG I have played. I love TES as much as anyone on this forum, but the universe of Geralt of Rivia is actually more interesting.

Well, basing a game on an actual succesful fantasy series is going to beat a setting developed by game developers in almost every case, especially if the author has substantive creative control.

Martinus

Quote from: Norgy on March 30, 2016, 04:06:17 PM

Yeah, almost every "monster kill" quest has a twist, just like the books did. Geralt as a character started in a series of short stories, which were essentially intended as parodies of popular fairytales (with a bait-and-switch type of narrative, where the presumed monster or antagonist was actually a victim, and the "hero" a real bastard). The author was a 30-something accountant when they were first published and he wrote and sent them to a popular fantasy magazine for fun.

Valmy

Quote from: 11B4V on March 30, 2016, 07:01:06 PM

Ok you guys are not providing me with very good guidance here :P

garbon

I bought 1 and 2 for cheap to lead up to 3. I haven been able to get more than a couple hours into one as it is pretty dull.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Norgy

Quote from: Valmy on March 31, 2016, 07:22:19 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on March 30, 2016, 07:01:06 PM

Ok you guys are not providing me with very good guidance here :P

What do you expect? Uniform opinions? The Witcher 2 is pretty decent, but with less freedom than Wild Hunt.
But you can catch up on the story so far pretty quickly. But I was wondering why I was bothering to save Dandelion until I noticed that's something Geralt just does. All the time.

Valmy

Quote from: Norgy on March 31, 2016, 08:02:19 AM
What do you expect? Uniform opinions? The Witcher 2 is pretty decent, but with less freedom than Wild Hunt.

Usually nerds like to explain themselves rather than 'do it! Don't do it!' :P

I could not care less about freedom or open world stuff. Whether the game is on rails or if it is complete anarchy it is all good, provided it is a good game.