News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Should this guy lose his job

Started by Josephus, May 12, 2015, 04:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Camerus on May 13, 2015, 06:56:58 PM
Some terms I've used without realizing they were Canuckisms, e.g. keener and eavestrough.   :hmm:

Never heard of those.

The only ones I've heard or seen non-Canadians use are brewsky, toboggan and chinook.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Wait, so the guy who got fired is the guy who says it to the journalist at the beginning of the video or the one who later explains the "meme" to her?

Tonitrus

The second/latter dude.

Edit: Viewing the video again, there are three dudes.  The dude #1 does the initial vulgar interuption, then quickly vanishes.  Reporter turns on dude #2, who was just standing there (as I understand, she had overhead them planning to do the same thing), then dude #3 explains/supports the vulgar interjection(the "vibrator in the ear" dude)...and that is the dude who is most notably identified and fired from his job.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 13, 2015, 05:35:41 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 13, 2015, 05:29:54 PM
:hmm:

It helps if you've played, or even watched, at least one sport in your life.

AYSO, baby! Besides, I did break my arm playing baseball. ^_^
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on May 13, 2015, 08:50:07 PM
I only got 17.  :blush:

I blame my immigrant status though.

Many of them are regional use only ("bunny hug"? WTF? Also, in Toronto, no-one uses "parkade"); some are simply wrong ("Brown noser" = all of the above)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 14, 2015, 12:53:32 AM
The second/latter dude.

Edit: Viewing the video again, there are three dudes.  The dude #1 does the initial vulgar interuption, then quickly vanishes.  Reporter turns on dude #2, who was just standing there (as I understand, she had overhead them planning to do the same thing), then dude #3 explains/supports the vulgar interjection(the "vibrator in the ear" dude)...and that is the dude who is most notably identified and fired from his job.

Then I don't really think the guy should have been fired. Sure, he acts like a douchebag but then drunk sports fan are douchebags and he probably thought he is being funny/cocky. He was not self-identifying as an employee of his company or giving any indication of his affiliation with the company - it's just a bunch of vindictive cunts who identified him as such afterwards. It would have sufficient to discipline him internally and "remind him of the company's media policy" or some such.

Valmy

16/20

I had a tough time with the ones non-hockey related. Or not related to cities with hockey teams.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

The test called me Don Cherry, Canada's Hitler.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on May 14, 2015, 08:09:52 AM
Quote from: Josephus on May 13, 2015, 08:50:07 PM
I only got 17.  :blush:

I blame my immigrant status though.

Many of them are regional use only ("bunny hug"? WTF? Also, in Toronto, no-one uses "parkade"); some are simply wrong ("Brown noser" = all of the above)

Yes, got both those wrong. Parkade? We just say "underground parking"
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

The second/latter dude.

Yes. The first guy is still being looked for. The second guy, in the sunglasses, has been outed, but, as of yet, not fired. The guy fired is the guy in the yellow arsenal shirt going on about how women seem to have vibrators in their ears in England.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

Martinus

Quote from: Josephus on May 14, 2015, 08:59:03 AM
The second/latter dude.

Yes. The first guy is still being looked for. The second guy, in the sunglasses, has been outed, but, as of yet, not fired. The guy fired is the guy in the yellow arsenal shirt going on about how women seem to have vibrators in their ears in England.

Oh sorry. I thought they fired the guy in the sunglasses. I don't think he should be fired.

Martinus

Quote from: Josephus on May 14, 2015, 08:59:59 AM
Some experts weigh in on the topic:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/05/13/does-hydro-one-have-the-right-to-fire-tfc-fan-shawn-simoes.html

That's interesting, thanks.

I find it particularly of interest (perhaps even bizarre) that an employee's rights seem to depend on whether he is a member of a union or not. Here (and I believe in most EU member states), the rules for firing an employee are the same for union and non-union members (with the exception of union leaders who get special job protection), but furthermore while a union is authorised to negotiate a better deal with the employer on behalf of employees, once they do so, the terms of the deal apply to all employees, not just members of the union. Giving special rights to union members would be seen as discrimination of the worst kind (in fact our anti-discrimination regulations expressly ban discrimination because of membership in a union or lack thereof).

The Brain

:lol: A union that gets people a better deal? If I were union I would still live like a coolie.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on May 14, 2015, 09:43:41 AM
Quote from: Josephus on May 14, 2015, 08:59:59 AM
Some experts weigh in on the topic:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/05/13/does-hydro-one-have-the-right-to-fire-tfc-fan-shawn-simoes.html

That's interesting, thanks.

I find it particularly of interest (perhaps even bizarre) that an employee's rights seem to depend on whether he is a member of a union or not.

Lol, That was pointed out by at least three people at the beginning of this thread.  And then you said they were wrong  ;)