Main Menu

Should this guy lose his job

Started by Josephus, May 12, 2015, 04:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Martinus

Quote from: saskganesh on May 14, 2015, 07:08:38 PM
Let's hear more from the gay lawyer from Poland, who is afraid to to reveal his own sexuality, complaining about "vindictive cunts" in Canada, because some people -imagine!- are really offended by sexism and public harrassment.

Yeah, that would be the guy I would want representing me in a  grievance.

I don't think you could afford me. :console:

Martinus

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 14, 2015, 07:24:01 PM
Sask drops his cloak and fires a plasma torpedo.

He is also funnily inaccurate. His post consists of two personal attacks, which miss the mark (one is that I am closeted - which hasn't been true for years; another is that he would not want me represent him in a grievance - which is fine as this is not my line of work), followed by an "argument" that I am calling people who are "offended by sexism and harassment" "vindictive cunts."

Which obviously is not what they just did - the "vindictive cunts" in this case saw some anonymous random guy do some stupid but ultimately harmless stuff on tv (what happened to the "sticks and stones" saying?) and then tracked him down, identified him and got him fired from his job in what amounts to an internet lynch mob. That fits my definition of "vindictive cunts" very nicely.

All he did was to say something comparable in offensiveness to stuff most of us routinely say on this board (including sask's attack on me which is clearly homophobic and thus offensive) - his case is only different because he was drunk, exercised poor judgement and got taped and broadcasted on public tv.

Martinus

Besides, shouldn't intent matter? The guy in sunglasses explains it quite well, imho.

This is a meme. Like "ask for anal" or "show us your tits", it is meant as a joke, where the comedic element is caused by saying something that is, out of context of the meme, over-the-top offensive. It is juvenile and inappropriate, yes, but unlike actual sexual harassment, it is not meant to maliciously humiliate the addressee - in fact, the addressee of this meme is entirely irrelevant (as the guy in sunglasses explains).

This is like the astrophysicist guy with the naked women shirt - essentially, a cognitive dissonance is caused by a "dude" coming out of his small "bro" circle with something that the "bro circle" finds hilariously funny - and having a face-on collision with the outside world of "vindictive cunts" and being completely flattened by it. I am not saying the guy was smart - what both of these guys did was quite unthoughtful and dumb, but I don't believe it was malicious.

This is quite different from, say, someone consciously supporting causes that are malicious and harmful, like the KKK or one of those anti-gay hate groups.

Admiral Yi

If we strip it down to the essentials, what you're left with is "yes it's offensive, but other people do it too."

Grey Fox

Marti, you told your workplace?!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 15, 2015, 07:50:25 AM

My boss and a bunch of my coworkers know and met my boyfriend. I didn't put an announcement on the office intranet though.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on May 15, 2015, 08:02:39 AM
I didn't put an announcement on the office intranet though.

Weak. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

My boss and a bunch of my coworkers know and met my boyfriend. I didn't put an announcement on the office intranet though.

Gay.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on May 15, 2015, 12:38:34 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 14, 2015, 07:24:01 PM
Sask drops his cloak and fires a plasma torpedo.

He is also funnily inaccurate. His post consists of two personal attacks, which miss the mark (one is that I am closeted - which hasn't been true for years; another is that he would not want me represent him in a grievance - which is fine as this is not my line of work), followed by an "argument" that I am calling people who are "offended by sexism and harassment" "vindictive cunts."

Which obviously is not what they just did - the "vindictive cunts" in this case saw some anonymous random guy do some stupid but ultimately harmless stuff on tv (what happened to the "sticks and stones" saying?) and then tracked him down, identified him and got him fired from his job in what amounts to an internet lynch mob. That fits my definition of "vindictive cunts" very nicely.

All he did was to say something comparable in offensiveness to stuff most of us routinely say on this board (including sask's attack on me which is clearly homophobic and thus offensive) - his case is only different because he was drunk, exercised poor judgement and got taped and broadcasted on public tv.

This guy wasn't tracked down by anyone - the company identified who he was and that he would be let go.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Incidentally, I am not sure whether this has not actually worked against me. Poland is still quite a homophobic country.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on May 15, 2015, 12:55:06 AM
Besides, shouldn't intent matter? The guy in sunglasses explains it quite well, imho.

This is a meme. Like "ask for anal" or "show us your tits", it is meant as a joke, where the comedic element is caused by saying something that is, out of context of the meme, over-the-top offensive. It is juvenile and inappropriate, yes, but unlike actual sexual harassment, it is not meant to maliciously humiliate the addressee - in fact, the addressee of this meme is entirely irrelevant (as the guy in sunglasses explains).

This is like the astrophysicist guy with the naked women shirt - essentially, a cognitive dissonance is caused by a "dude" coming out of his small "bro" circle with something that the "bro circle" finds hilariously funny - and having a face-on collision with the outside world of "vindictive cunts" and being completely flattened by it. I am not saying the guy was smart - what both of these guys did was quite unthoughtful and dumb, but I don't believe it was malicious.

This is quite different from, say, someone consciously supporting causes that are malicious and harmful, like the KKK or one of those anti-gay hate groups.

How is interrupting a female reporter doing her job and yelling "fuck her right in the pussy" anything but humiliating to the addressee?

The fact that it is a "meme" is completely irrelevant.  All that a meme is is copying what others have done.  A meme can be positive, neutral, or negative.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Alright. I agree with your not in the closet comment then.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on May 14, 2015, 09:43:41 AM
Here (and I believe in most EU member states), the rules for firing an employee are the same for union and non-union members (with the exception of union leaders who get special job protection), but furthermore while a union is authorised to negotiate a better deal with the employer on behalf of employees, once they do so, the terms of the deal apply to all employees, not just members of the union. Giving special rights to union members would be seen as discrimination of the worst kind (in fact our anti-discrimination regulations expressly ban discrimination because of membership in a union or lack thereof).
Germany must be the exception you refer to then, because unions here can certainly negotiate different rules for their members. Employers very rarely agree to that though. 

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on May 15, 2015, 09:26:03 AM

This guy wasn't tracked down by anyone - the company identified who he was and that he would be let go.

If this is the case, though, it may work against them if he seeks notice. CC and I had a discussion upthread about just cause for causing reputational damage - may be harder to argue if it was the company itself that identifed him.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius