News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Should this guy lose his job

Started by Josephus, May 12, 2015, 04:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

15/20. Too many Canadians talking their jibber jabber on Languish.  :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on May 13, 2015, 03:55:12 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 13, 2015, 03:46:58 PM
Quote from: Josephus on May 13, 2015, 03:15:10 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 13, 2015, 01:29:13 PM
Quote from: Martinus on May 13, 2015, 01:28:17 PM
Malthus, I can appreciate how this is "how things work", especially as ugly stuff like politics is involved. What I object to are CC's apparent assertions that this vile example of politics destroying a guy's life is somehow desirable, ethical and preferred result.

Getting canned hardly destroys one's life.

It does for many people.

It's like nobody even remembers CDM. :(

Those one per centers live on their own planet.....worried about not being able to afford a nanny if minimum wage goes up.  ;)

:ultra:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Josephus on May 13, 2015, 03:18:23 PM
Maybe in Quebec they say "Le hydro" :D

That would be L'hydro . Silent h no aspired h in this case.  ;)
Just say Hydro-Québec, without article, to stay on the safe side. :D

Maximus

17/20

2. Never heard of it.
3. Heard these terms but no idea what they mean.
5. Those are all the same thing. Also never heard this term.
6. None of these. It's a couch.
7. That's a really bad definition. It's short for "decoy", ie to trick someone into responding to something you're not doing.
11. Never heard of it.
14. I heard this one once, from a guy from BC
16. Never heard it.
19. No idea

Eddie Teach

How is "eavestrough" short for "decoy"?

crazy canuck

I will put 3 and 16 down to your religious upbringing but there is no excuse for not knowing what a Nanaimo bar is.  You are to formerly being Canadian what Marti is to being a lawyer  :P

@ Wiggins, he got the numbers mixed up, he meant 9.  And he is right about that one.  A Deke is more like faking right and going left or the reverse.

Admiral Yi

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

I got the one about nanaimo bars because I saw it in this quiz recently.
http://www.sporcle.com/games/knope2012/canadian-cuisine-eh

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on May 13, 2015, 05:29:54 PM
:hmm:

It helps if you've played, or even watched, at least one sport in your life.

dps

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2015, 01:23:54 PM
Quote from: Martinus on May 13, 2015, 01:19:55 PM
Then I fail to see how this would be a huge reputational damage not to fire this guy - it's not like this is a consumer company operating in a highly competitive brand-focused environment. I don't see how people would suddenly stop getting electricity because the company continues to employ this guy.

You are using the wrong analogy (shocking as that may be to some).  The reputational risk isn't market driven.  It is the fact that it is a public company.  Something you might not know is that the board of public companies is largely appointed by the government.  Do you see a potential risk now?

I don't see a reputational risk--the reputations of public utilities are so bad there's really nothing that could drive them lower.

Camerus

Some terms I've used without realizing they were Canuckisms, e.g. keener and eavestrough.   :hmm:

Josephus

I only got 17.  :blush:

I blame my immigrant status though.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tonitrus

I got 15/20 (And that is just that some, like the eavestrough, are easy enough for an intelligent person to deduce) but probably knew 6-7 beforehand.