52% of Americans in favor of soaking the rich.

Started by jimmy olsen, May 05, 2015, 07:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: LaCroix on May 06, 2015, 08:39:13 AM
i don't think many people criticize welfare because it helps blacks. most people i see criticizing welfare do so because it helps poor people.

QuoteYou start out in 1954 by saying, "Nigger, nigger, nigger." By 1968 you can't say "nigger" — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "Nigger, nigger.

Lee Atwater, Republican strategist.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on May 07, 2015, 12:41:57 AM

Seriously,  stop talking shit.
From a world of abundance we will all benefit.
A post singularity,  post scarcity society,  is a free society. We will be free to persue our dreams.

You really have a weird idea of this singularity thing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on May 07, 2015, 06:22:32 AM
The internet doesn't work that way.
really?  how does it work then?

I tell you how it works with you, at least :)
- Non American makes comments on American politics
- Grumbler: I don't know America like you do (hint: you're full of shit, I know better)

- Non American makes on local politics
- Grumbler: I obviously know better than you about your local politics (hint: you're full of shit, I know better).

See, I just saved us 3-4 pages of argument :)  You should thank me for saving you some time :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 06, 2015, 10:52:01 AM
I think Yi already answered it. Republicans don't care about inequality and they have the power to stop redistribution.
yes, but it's a democracy and the issue isn't new, so it goes deeper than that, imho.
I think it's being said later in the thread (I only glanced at the other posts), but it's simply that while it's an issue, it's not the core issue of your politics.

The average elector cares more about other issues than economic redistribution and the Republicans can sneek in power from time to time and do their best to insure they keep some level of power through electoral district "rebalancing".  I'm pretty sure the Democrats try it too, but they're more divided on this issue than the Republicans are united against, so it doesn't really show.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

A while back we had a good discussion about why Americans tend to vote against their own self interest.  As I recall Otto provided a very good explanation for the phenomenon but I cant remember the thread or the context anymore.

Berkut

There was a facebook image I saw once that summed up nicely the situation:

Three people (rich guy, poor guy, middle class guy) are sitting around a plate of ten cookies. The rich guy takes 9 of the cookies, then convinces the middle class guy that the poor guy is trying to take HIS cookie!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on May 07, 2015, 11:04:03 AM

Three people (rich guy, poor guy, middle class guy) are sitting around a plate of ten cookies. The rich guy takes 9 of the cookies, then convinces the middle class guy that the poor guy is trying to take HIS cookie!

The last time I took exception to this narrative you accused me of playing mindless semantics.

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 07, 2015, 11:05:46 AM
Quote from: Berkut on May 07, 2015, 11:04:03 AM

The last time I took exception to this narrative you accused me of playing mindless semantics.

That's nice.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on May 07, 2015, 10:51:36 AM
Quote from: grumbler on May 07, 2015, 06:22:32 AM
The internet doesn't work that way.
really?  how does it work then?

I tell you how it works with you, at least :)
- Non American makes comments on American politics
- Grumbler: I don't know America like you do (hint: you're full of shit, I know better)

- Non American makes on local politics
- Grumbler: I obviously know better than you about your local politics (hint: you're full of shit, I know better).

See, I just saved us 3-4 pages of argument :)  You should thank me for saving you some time :)

Actually, this is precisely the kind of strawman bullshit I was trying to avoid.  But you won't troll me into  any response other than noting that everything in your post (including what you attribute to me) is from you and you alone.

Have fun playing with yourself.  :)
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2015, 06:28:52 AM
i don't think many people criticize welfare because it helps blacks. most people i see criticizing welfare do so because it helps poor people.

QuoteYou start out in 1954 by saying, "Nigger, nigger, nigger." By 1968 you can't say "nigger" — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "Nigger, nigger.

You sure get a lot of mileage from a 34 year old quote.  Do you still think that applies in 2015?

Also from the same interview:

QuoteBut Reagan did not have to do a southern strategy for two reasons. Number one, race was not a dominant issue. And number two, the mainstream issues in this campaign had been, quote, southern issues since way back in the sixties. So Reagan goes out and campaigns on the issues of economics and of national defense. The whole campaign was devoid of any kind of racism, any kind of reference. And I'll tell you another thing you all need to think about, that even surprised me, is the lack of interest, really, the lack of knowledge right now in the South among white voters about the Voting Rights Act.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on May 07, 2015, 11:16:50 AM
You sure get a lot of mileage from a 34 year old quote.  Do you still think that applies in 2015?

raz is like Timmay and cC:  he loves to toss out some detail or quote as though it was significant, but either lacks the intellect to say how the evidence supports and argument, or recognizes that the evidence doesn't actually support any sensible argument but thinks no one else will catch on that it's bogus if he just tosses it out there without any attempt at analysis.

I suppose it is possible that some people are fooled. :hmm:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on May 07, 2015, 11:26:16 AM

raz is like Timmay and cC:  he loves to toss out some detail or quote as though it was significant, but either lacks the intellect to say how the evidence supports and argument, or recognizes that the evidence doesn't actually support any sensible argument but thinks no one else will catch on that it's bogus if he just tosses it out there without any attempt at analysis.

I suppose it is possible that some people are fooled. :hmm:

I have other quotes as well.  This one was from earlier this week.

QuoteThis is a joke, right?  The Radio Free Asia web page has no such story, and it sounds very made-up to me (the Chinese government might encourage weakening of Islam, but it are not going to announce such a policy).

A bit less credulity, please.

http://www.rfa.org/english/news/uyghur/order-05042015133944.html

Razgovory

Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2015, 06:28:52 AM

Also from the same interview:

QuoteBut Reagan did not have to do a southern strategy for two reasons. Number one, race was not a dominant issue. And number two, the mainstream issues in this campaign had been, quote, southern issues since way back in the sixties. So Reagan goes out and campaigns on the issues of economics and of national defense. The whole campaign was devoid of any kind of racism, any kind of reference. And I'll tell you another thing you all need to think about, that even surprised me, is the lack of interest, really, the lack of knowledge right now in the South among white voters about the Voting Rights Act.

Yes, I think it still applies.  When you have a Republican senator running for President and saying he doesn't want to make black people's lives better by giving them someone Else's money, I think the old narratives apply.

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2015, 03:29:51 PM
Yes, I think it still applies.  When you have a Republican senator running for President and saying he doesn't want to make black people's lives better by giving them someone Else's money, I think the old narratives apply.

To be clear: do you think Republicans are continuing to pursue a "southern strategy" in 2015 whereby they use coded policies and terminology to appeal for people's votes based on racism?

If so, how do you reconcile that belief with what Atwater himself had to say about Reagan's 1980 campaign?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.