52% of Americans in favor of soaking the rich.

Started by jimmy olsen, May 05, 2015, 07:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 06, 2015, 10:59:30 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 06, 2015, 10:52:01 AM
I think Yi already answered it. Republicans don't care about inequality and they have the power to stop redistribution.

I think there would also be some resistance to a straight out transfer from the centrist wing of the Democratic party.

Agreed.  I think the Dem center would accept Clinton-era tax levels to fund infrastructure and maybe environment/ green energy, but not wealth transfer.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

It is so much fun trying to have a conversation about this stuff when the "sides" insist on using incompatible language.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on May 06, 2015, 11:43:36 AM
It is so much fun trying to have a conversation about this stuff when the "sides" insist on using incompatible language.

What are you talking about?

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 06, 2015, 11:53:57 AM
Quote from: Berkut on May 06, 2015, 11:43:36 AM

What are you talking about?

What you are talking about.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

To combat incompatible language, Berkut adopts incomprehensible language.

The Brain

In America punishments can't be cruel and unusual, right? What about rewards?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on May 06, 2015, 12:48:23 PM
In America punishments can't be cruel and unusual, right? What about rewards?
:lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on May 06, 2015, 12:50:11 PM
BUNCH OF COMMUNISTS!!!!!!11111

Just have to find a way to get more good jobs out there. That cures 'em.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

You do realize that if your beloved singularity came to pass and humanity became a post-scarcity society there would be a revolution that would massively alter the way that wealth is distributed and the economy managed.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on May 06, 2015, 11:18:55 AM
Sorry, but I am not going to engage in a pointless debate with you.  :)

If I address the issue, i'll do so on my  own volition and not as in response to an invitation from you to participate in a "debate" that consists of me making arguments supported by  facts and you engaging in ad homs and rhetorical exaggerations.  I've had my fill of that.
You should be proud of the way you dodge any intellectual interactions.  :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 06, 2015, 05:55:01 PM
You do realize that if your beloved singularity came to pass and humanity became a post-scarcity society there would be a revolution that would massively alter the way that wealth is distributed and the economy managed.

There maybe a revolution alright - but it may not go the way you want it to go.  Technology, drones, AI, automation, remote control, etc mean that the few may stand a better chance against the masses in the future  :menace:

Siege

Quote from: Monoriu on May 06, 2015, 08:51:11 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 06, 2015, 05:55:01 PM

There maybe a revolution alright - but it may not go the way you want it to go.  Technology, drones, AI, automation, remote control, etc mean that the few may stand a better chance against the masses in the future  :menace:
Seriously,  stop talking shit.
From a world of abundance we will all benefit.
A post singularity,  post scarcity society,  is a free society. We will be free to persue our dreams.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Monoriu

Quote from: Siege on May 07, 2015, 12:41:57 AM

Seriously,  stop talking shit.
From a world of abundance we will all benefit.
A post singularity,  post scarcity society,  is a free society. We will be free to persue our dreams.

I'm not worried.  Humans aren't about getting tons of stuff.  The point is to get more stuff than the next person.  In this sense, by definition, we'll never get to a post-scarcity society :contract:

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on May 06, 2015, 08:33:53 PM
Quote from: grumbler on May 06, 2015, 11:18:55 AM
Sorry, but I am not going to engage in a pointless debate with you.  :)

If I address the issue, i'll do so on my  own volition and not as in response to an invitation from you to participate in a "debate" that consists of me making arguments supported by  facts and you engaging in ad homs and rhetorical exaggerations.  I've had my fill of that.
You should be proud of the way you dodge any intellectual interactions with trolls:)
FTFY  You can't start out trolling and then moan about lack in intellectual engagement.  The internet doesn't work that way.

Bayraktar!