52% of Americans in favor of soaking the rich.

Started by jimmy olsen, May 05, 2015, 07:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on May 06, 2015, 07:53:10 AM
No, that wasn't it, I just neglected to mention it.  I think that racial relations are the reason why social democracy hasn't made inroads in US anywhere near as effectively as it has in Europe.  Even conservatives are agreeing with it, by using code phrase like "social democracy can work in Europe because their populations are homogeneous".

This sounds like a jab at me.

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 06, 2015, 01:20:54 AM
So you're saying that we can have democracy in this country or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few; but we can't have both?

he is saying you can have great wealth concentration + intolerance, or wealth distribution and tolerance, but not both.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 06, 2015, 08:17:53 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 06, 2015, 07:53:10 AM
No, that wasn't it, I just neglected to mention it.  I think that racial relations are the reason why social democracy hasn't made inroads in US anywhere near as effectively as it has in Europe.  Even conservatives are agreeing with it, by using code phrase like "social democracy can work in Europe because their populations are homogeneous".

This sounds like a jab at me.
It isn't.  I don't recall if you ever said something like that, I've heard that phrase so often in so many different places that I can't keep a mental inventory of who said it.

LaCroix

i don't think many people criticize welfare because it helps blacks. most people i see criticizing welfare do so because it helps poor people.

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on May 06, 2015, 07:56:39 AM
I think it shows some signs.

I agree. The plebs better start getting their piece of the pie or things might get messy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 05, 2015, 07:48:47 PM
If 6/10 Americans have thought that wealth distribution is unfair for the last 30 years, why has it had so little political impact on the government?  :hmm:
I was about the say something, but then I remembered: Grumbler knows everything.  So rather than engaging in a pointless debate with him, I'll let him give the explanations needed :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DGuller

Quote from: LaCroix on May 06, 2015, 08:39:13 AM
i don't think many people criticize welfare because it helps blacks. most people i see criticizing welfare do so because it helps poor people.
There are things that people say, things that people think, and things that people feel subconsciously.  There is a reason why the image of a welfare queen works so well to convince people to roll back social welfare.

Valmy

Huh. I guess I always pictured the welfare queen as an overweight rural trailer trash person with 8 kids. Anyway I thought we already rolled that back. I don't see much political pressure to roll it back further.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 06, 2015, 09:15:10 AM
This is slightly relevant to my interests.

Fortunately you can flee to Capitalist Europe when Red America comes for your loot. Or vice versa.

LaCroix

Quote from: DGuller on May 06, 2015, 09:07:07 AMThere are things that people say, things that people think, and things that people feel subconsciously.  There is a reason why the image of a welfare queen works so well to convince people to roll back social welfare.

i don't think many people think of black people in north dakota, consciously or subconsciously. :hmm:

maybe this is another instance where reality is one thing, and peoples' perception is another. i think people generally dislike giving money to those they feel are undeserving, whether race is white or black.

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on May 06, 2015, 09:13:02 AM
Huh. I guess I always pictured the welfare queen as an overweight rural trailer trash person with 8 kids. Anyway I thought we already rolled that back. I don't see much political pressure to roll it back further.
Funny you should say that:  http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/missouri-lawmakers-override-veto-enact-welfare-limits-30819958.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on May 06, 2015, 09:16:10 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 06, 2015, 09:15:10 AM
This is slightly relevant to my interests.

Fortunately you can flee to Capitalist Europe when Red America comes for your loot. Or vice versa.

France beckons this June. :frog:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

QuoteFunny you should say that:  http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/missouri-lawmakers-override-veto-enact-welfare-limits-30819958.

Well I'll be.

Quote"They want their independence; they don't want to be in this poverty trap all their lives and they don't want their kids to be in this poverty trap. They want and they say that we can be successful if we have the tools," said Rep. Diane Franklin, R-Camdenton, who handled the bill in the House.

Poverty is created by welfare. Once we get rid of it the fundamental economic issues will change. The world economy hangs on the policies of the state of Missouri.