52% of Americans in favor of soaking the rich.

Started by jimmy olsen, May 05, 2015, 07:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

I think Kansas put limits on Snap benefit use. Or was talking about it.

No sodas or steak. Or some stupid shit like that.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on May 06, 2015, 09:19:22 AM
Poverty is created by welfare. Once we get rid of it the fundamental economic issues will change. The world economy hangs on the policies of the state of Missouri.

It's not as if welfare dependency is some looney right wing fairy tale.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 06, 2015, 09:44:39 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 06, 2015, 09:19:22 AM
Poverty is created by welfare. Once we get rid of it the fundamental economic issues will change. The world economy hangs on the policies of the state of Missouri.

It's not as if welfare dependency is some looney right wing fairy tale.

Not saying that exactly. I am talking about the economic reality that today we don't have jobs we need these people to be doing. In fact the problem of creating work in the future economy is a matter of concern. So it seems kind of fantastical to suggest that this is the source of a poverty trap.

However it is not like the requirements to keep on the welfare rolls are that onerous. One just needs to visit a social worker a few times.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 06, 2015, 09:21:47 AM

Makes sense.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on May 06, 2015, 09:52:50 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 06, 2015, 09:21:47 AM

Makes sense.

WHAT ABOUT DOLLAR STORE STEAK SIR?

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

My boat was full of gold doubloons, but it sunk.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on May 06, 2015, 08:51:33 AM
I was about the say something, but then I remembered: Grumbler knows everything.  So rather than engaging in a pointless debate with him, I'll let him give the explanations needed :)

Nice drive-by ad hom!  You should be proud of the way you dodge any intellectual interactions. :thumbsup:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 06, 2015, 10:10:37 AM
My boat was full of gold doubloons, but it sunk.

Where, precisely?  I'm asking for a friend. #odysseymarineexploration
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on May 06, 2015, 10:12:54 AM
I was about the say something, but then I remembered: Grumbler knows everything.  So rather than engaging in a pointless debate with him, I'll let him give the explanations needed :)

Nice drive-by ad hom!  You should be proud of the way you dodge any intellectual interactions. :thumbsup:
I'm dodging what exactly? :)
It's your country, yet you haven't commented on the issue.  So tell me, what do you think is the reason why 60% of the electorate seems to care about wealth redistribution while it is mostly absent from political discourse? :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

I think Yi already answered it. Republicans don't care about inequality and they have the power to stop redistribution.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 06, 2015, 10:52:01 AM
I think Yi already answered it. Republicans don't care about inequality and they have the power to stop redistribution.

I think there would also be some resistance to a straight out transfer from the centrist wing of the Democratic party.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on May 06, 2015, 10:45:22 AM
Quote from: grumbler on May 06, 2015, 10:12:54 AM

I'm dodging what exactly? :)
It's your country, yet you haven't commented on the issue.  So tell me, what do you think is the reason why 60% of the electorate seems to care about wealth redistribution while it is mostly absent from political discourse? :)

Sorry, but I am not going to engage in a pointless debate with you.  :)

If I address the issue, i'll do so on my  own volition and not as in response to an invitation from you to participate in a "debate" that consists of me making arguments supported by  facts and you engaging in ad homs and rhetorical exaggerations.  I've had my fill of that.

Bayraktar!