Did Al Gore have what it takes to be President?

Started by Razgovory, April 15, 2015, 10:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on April 17, 2015, 05:25:12 AM
And by the way, tech development would have been slower under Al Gore because of his "progressive" taxation against energy.
Energy = Industrial development = Tech development

This assumes he would have actually done this. Sure, left to his own devices he is a progressive environmentalist dude but during 2000 he was, and would continue to be, in the hands of Clinton handlers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

In his books on the Bush administration Woodward described in some detail the degree to which Bush and members of his administration actively attempted to build the case for invading Iraq and ignored the evidence that their reason for the invasion was not well supported.

I doubt Gore would have done the same thing.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on April 17, 2015, 06:26:12 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 16, 2015, 04:07:13 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 16, 2015, 01:28:04 PM
You said they could not leave their hotels which wasn't true.

I said they were restricted to their hotel at the time they decided to leave.  If you have evidence that that is not true, I'd love to see it.
:lol:  I can't believe you are falling for this again!

I honestly can't believe you are still doing this "I'm ignoring you as punishment", thing.  Yi was trying to give a false impression and I called him on that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 17, 2015, 11:04:10 AM
In his books on the Bush administration Woodward described in some detail the degree to which Bush and members of his administration actively attempted to build the case for invading Iraq and ignored the evidence that their reason for the invasion was not well supported.

I think every administration has done that to some degree.  Can't imagine Gore doing otherwise *if* he strongly wanted to do something.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

In his books on the Bush administration Woodward described in some detail the degree to which Bush and members of his administration actively attempted to build the case for invading Iraq and ignored the evidence that their reason justification for the invasion was not well supported.

FYP.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on April 17, 2015, 01:05:04 PM
I honestly can't believe you are still doing this "I'm ignoring you as punishment", thing.  Yi was trying to give a false impression and I called him on that.

Go fuck yourself Raz.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 17, 2015, 01:14:41 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 17, 2015, 01:05:04 PM

Go fuck yourself Raz.

What, now you're doing what Grumbler tells you?  You posts about not leaving the hotel, or searching the minibar gave the impression that weapon inspectors did nothing which is not true since they did in fact destroy quite a bit of material and inspected several hundred sights.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Saying they inspected a lot of sites isn't nearly as interesting as noting that there were sites they were not allowed to inspect.

The Iraqi's know what they are trying to hide, so the fact that they let inspectors inspect things they weren't trying to hide isn't even a little bit interesting.

The fact that there were places they were NOT allowed to go is very, very interesting, and really the only pertinent data point when evaluating whether or not Saddam's regime was trying to hide something. Or at least appear like they were trying to hide something.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on April 17, 2015, 01:25:17 PM
What, now you're doing what Grumbler tells you?  You posts about not leaving the hotel, or searching the minibar gave the impression that weapon inspectors did nothing which is not true since they did in fact destroy quite a bit of material and inspected several hundred sights.

The first time we went through this I figured you were confused, which is why I explained.  The second time it looks more like lying than confusion.

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on April 17, 2015, 01:09:37 PM
I think every administration has done that to some degree.  Can't imagine Gore doing otherwise *if* he strongly wanted to do something.

there is something to what you say, but I cannot imagine gore wanting to do something so economically and politically catastrophic, and so damaging to the principals on which the country was founded.  He would have done something as dumb but nothing so foolish.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 17, 2015, 01:32:33 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 17, 2015, 01:25:17 PM

The first time we went through this I figured you were confused, which is why I explained.  The second time it looks more like lying than confusion.

Okay we are not on the same wavelength here, because rather then an explanation that really came off as a challenge.

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on April 17, 2015, 01:09:37 PM

I agree.  The point is there is nothing to suggest Gore would have felt strongly about creating a case for invading Iraq.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on April 17, 2015, 01:12:34 PM
In his books on the Bush administration Woodward described in some detail the degree to which Bush and members of his administration actively attempted to build the case for invading Iraq and ignored the evidence that their reason justification for the invasion was not well supported.

FYP.

I accept the amendment from the floor.

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on April 17, 2015, 01:29:09 PM
Saying they inspected a lot of sites isn't nearly as interesting as noting that there were sites they were not allowed to inspect.

The Iraqi's know what they are trying to hide, so the fact that they let inspectors inspect things they weren't trying to hide isn't even a little bit interesting.

The fact that there were places they were NOT allowed to go is very, very interesting, and really the only pertinent data point when evaluating whether or not Saddam's regime was trying to hide something. Or at least appear like they were trying to hide something.

:huh:  Wait, what?  The inspectors did find things, such as a suspected bio weapons lab which they later destroyed.  That's not interesting?  Keep in mind that this was a paranoid fascist state so they always appear to be hiding stuff.  In particular they thought that the CIA had infiltrated the inspection teams and was going to assassinate Saddam  So really that's not that interesting that they appear to be hiding stuff, and events have borne this out.  Despite the appearance of trying to hide stuff no active weapons program was found after 2003.