Did Al Gore have what it takes to be President?

Started by Razgovory, April 15, 2015, 10:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 16, 2015, 11:52:24 AM
In order to understate, seriously or otherwise, what they did before inspecting their minibars, I would first have to state it.

You said they could not leave their hotels which wasn't true.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 16, 2015, 01:22:10 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 16, 2015, 01:12:10 PM
Not sure why a chemical weapon program mandated an attack anyway. Iraq was less of a threat than in 1990/1991. The administration knew that--as evidenced by a much more rapid ground war in Gulf War II.

Collective stupidity/naivete.

Ideology/ambition.  Bush was swayed by the arguments of those who felt that 1991 was a missed opportunity to create a model democracy that would inspire democratic reforms (or revolutions) in across the region bring with it peace in the Middle East.  Weapon inspections were just a casus belli, a foot in the door.  Since Gore would be unlikely to hire Cheney, Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz their ambitious plans to transform the Middle East would probably not influence the President.  On the other hand, Gore doesn't seem to be the most stable individual so who knows what he would have done after 9/11.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

DGuller

Quote from: KRonn on April 16, 2015, 01:25:32 PM
Invading Iraq was a mostly bad idea, but it had large bi-partisan support.
Technically true, but somewhat out of context.  The nation was put on the warpath, and Democrats for the most part did not have the balls to be publicly at odds with jingoism.  Even in democratic countries, when the nation is primed for war, you have a terrible political environment where taking a principled stand carries real serious dangers.  So just because Democrats didn't have the balls to resist the push to war doesn't mean they would be starting the war if they were in power.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on April 16, 2015, 01:39:08 PM
Bush was swayed by the arguments of those who felt that 1991 was a missed opportunity to create a model democracy that would inspire democratic reforms (or revolutions) in across the region bring with it peace in the Middle East.

Which has proven to be incredibly naive.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 16, 2015, 01:41:44 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 16, 2015, 01:39:08 PM
Bush was swayed by the arguments of those who felt that 1991 was a missed opportunity to create a model democracy that would inspire democratic reforms (or revolutions) in across the region bring with it peace in the Middle East.

Which has proven to be incredibly naive.

Well, I agree on that part.

KRonn

Quote from: DGuller on April 16, 2015, 01:41:12 PM
Quote from: KRonn on April 16, 2015, 01:25:32 PM
Invading Iraq was a mostly bad idea, but it had large bi-partisan support.
Technically true, but somewhat out of context.  The nation was put on the warpath, and Democrats for the most part did not have the balls to be publicly at odds with jingoism.  Even in democratic countries, when the nation is primed for war, you have a terrible political environment where taking a principled stand carries real serious dangers.  So just because Democrats didn't have the balls to resist the push to war doesn't mean they would be starting the war if they were in power.

Agreed, there was some of this attitude going on, too much actually IMO. On top of that people who were critical were getting lambasted, some musicians were having their CDs publicly destroyed, and that kind of thing. I hated that stuff going on, as it clouded the debate.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: frunk on April 16, 2015, 08:59:13 AM
Afghanistan, yes.  Iraq?  I doubt it.

Iraq was going to happen. 700 violations of the no fly zones? Come on. Clinton almost restarted the Iraq war. It was inevitable.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

frunk

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 16, 2015, 03:28:50 PM
Iraq was going to happen. 700 violations of the no fly zones? Come on. Clinton almost restarted the Iraq war. It was inevitable.

A full scale invasion over no fly zone violations?  Right.  I could see some sort of limited action at some point, but not anything on the scale of the Iraq War.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on April 16, 2015, 01:28:04 PM

I said they were restricted to their hotel at the time they decided to leave.  If you have evidence that that is not true, I'd love to see it.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 16, 2015, 04:07:13 PM

I said they were restricted to their hotel at the time they decided to leave.  If you have evidence that that is not true, I'd love to see it.

Well, logically they had to leave the hotel to leave the country.

Razgovory

Quote from: frunk on April 16, 2015, 03:46:26 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 16, 2015, 03:28:50 PM

A full scale invasion over no fly zone violations?  Right.  I could see some sort of limited action at some point, but not anything on the scale of the Iraq War.

There already was limited action.  We saw limited action for a decade.  There is no reason to believe it would escalate further.  By the same reasoning of MiM a Korean war is also inevitable, since the North Koreans violated the cease fire many times.  Despite that nobody has seems to have much interest in starting up a new war with the North Koreans.

Siege

Quote from: Ideologue on April 15, 2015, 11:04:38 PM
If Al Gore had been elected, we'd have lunar colonies and flying cars by now.

No. We would have a nuclear Iran, a unravelled Middle East, sharia law growing everywhere, an stronger Al Qaida, etc.

Oh wait...

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

And by the way, tech development would have been slower under Al Gore because of his "progressive" taxation against energy.
Energy = Industrial development = Tech development

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 16, 2015, 04:07:13 PM

:lol:  I can't believe you are falling for this again!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Siege on April 17, 2015, 05:25:12 AM
And by the way, tech development would have been slower under Al Gore because of his "progressive" taxation against energy.
Energy = Industrial development = Tech development
But Al Gore invented the internet!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point