Did Al Gore have what it takes to be President?

Started by Razgovory, April 15, 2015, 10:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 18, 2015, 06:23:39 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2015, 06:12:06 PM
1998-2002 that period of years when invading Iraq was not on everyone's mind.

Have you changed your mind about the inspectors leaving supporting your assertion?

Not really.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 18, 2015, 09:28:25 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2015, 06:12:06 PM

1998-2002 that period of years when invading Iraq was not on everyone's mind.

Um. He was violating the ceasefire nearly every day during that period. Clinton nearly invaded.

When?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

When he wanted a distraction from his impeachment hearings.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 18, 2015, 10:42:20 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2015, 10:12:44 PM
Not really.

Only sort of?

I'm not sure what you are getting at.  My argument was that inspectors leaving in 1998 did not trigger a crisis, because the US was not in crisis mode nor was the rest of the world.  The crisis only began in 2002 when Bush chose to take up the issue in a big way to justify the war he was planning.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 18, 2015, 10:17:31 PM

That's why it didn't happen.

Yes, people did care back in 1998. We nearly went to war then. Saddam got lucky that Clinton's timing was bad.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 19, 2015, 01:00:56 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 18, 2015, 10:17:31 PM

That's why it didn't happen.

Yes, people did care back in 1998. We nearly went to war then. Saddam got lucky that Clinton's timing was bad.

I must have missed the mobilization.  When exactly did that happen?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on April 19, 2015, 01:02:34 AM

When you weren't paying attention, apparently.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 19, 2015, 01:09:41 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 19, 2015, 01:02:34 AM

When you weren't paying attention, apparently.

Seriously, when were the tens of thousands of soldiers deployed to the Iraqi borders?  When were tens of thousands of National guardsmen mobilized?  When was the international coalition formed for the invasion?  When was the debate in Congress for the invasion?  Why was the upcoming war not a major campaign issue in 2000.  I don't recall Gore and Bush agreeing that a full scale invasion was inevitable when they debated.  If it was inevitable, you think it would have been a big deal.