Did Al Gore have what it takes to be President?

Started by Razgovory, April 15, 2015, 10:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Al losing was a blessing in disguise for him.  He's a far richer man now than I think would have been possible had he been elected.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 16, 2015, 03:07:38 AM
History decided that question. Gore would have been the same as Bush on most things, especially war. Especially with Iraq.
What do you base this conclusion on?

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on April 16, 2015, 06:53:11 AM
History decided that question. Gore would have been the same as Bush on most things, especially war. Especially with Iraq.
What do you base this conclusion on?

History :yawn:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

The Larch

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 15, 2015, 11:40:11 PM
Isn't Gore a killbot himself?

No, he's the Emperor of the Moon and the founder of the Vice Presidental Action Rangers.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

frunk

Afghanistan, yes.  Iraq?  I doubt it.

KRonn

Gore would have been an average president, like most presidents, and yes I feel he could have done the job. He would have been hit with 9/11 and would likely have done the same in Afghanistan that Bush did. Any president would have had to take strong action, and then to address security over the issue of radical Islam and its terrorism.

I wonder if he would still have invaded Iraq, as the Clinton WH had voiced some similar notions, though likely not very seriously. I tend to doubt it but taking down Saddam had been on the minds of many politicians prior to Bush choosing to do it. Or more likely Gore would have taken stronger measures but less not an invasion.

Razgovory

Yeah, I'm not seeing Iraq as something anyone besides Bush/Cheney would have done.  The weapons inspection crisis was largely created by them.  The inspectors had left years before, and nobody really cared that much then.  Reviving the issue was done for their own personal issues and philosophy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on April 16, 2015, 11:16:39 AM
Yeah, I'm not seeing Iraq as something anyone besides Bush/Cheney would have done.  The weapons inspection crisis was largely created by them.  The inspectors had left years before, and nobody really cared that much then.  Reviving the issue was done for their own personal issues and philosophy.

This is seriously overegging the pudding.  The inspectors left years before because they felt they had thoroughly inspected their hotel rooms for WMD and were not allowed anywhere else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 16, 2015, 11:19:44 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 16, 2015, 11:16:39 AM

This is seriously overegging the pudding.  The inspectors left years before because they felt they had thoroughly inspected their hotel rooms for WMD and were not allowed anywhere else.

And this is seriously understating what they did, since they did find and destroy some WMD over the course of several years.  Of course after they did leave it wasn't like the world was on the brink of war for 4 years and we were in a state of constant crisis.  During the 2000 presidential campaign the Iraq "crisis", wasn't the main issue or even a big one.  Bush was rather laid back about Iraq in 2000 about a country that was the verge of a surprising us with a mushroom cloud over one our cities as he suggested in 2002.  If there was an inevitable war going to result in the leaving of inspectors in 1999, you'd think it would on everyone's lips.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

In order to understate, seriously or otherwise, what they did before inspecting their minibars, I would first have to state it.

alfred russel

Not sure why a chemical weapon program mandated an attack anyway. Iraq was less of a threat than in 1990/1991. The administration knew that--as evidenced by a much more rapid ground war in Gulf War II.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on April 16, 2015, 01:12:10 PM
Not sure why a chemical weapon program mandated an attack anyway. Iraq was less of a threat than in 1990/1991. The administration knew that--as evidenced by a much more rapid ground war in Gulf War II.

Collective stupidity/naivete.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

Invading Iraq was a mostly bad idea, but it had large bi-partisan support. Only after the going to tough did some politicians start going.... against it, same ones who were for the initial invasion. Everyone had the intel info, including the UN and other nations. Saddam was being deceptive and not cooperating even though he didn't have an active program on WMDs. He was gaming the system to save face among Iraqis and others in the Mid East, and that backfired on him big time as it lead to the invasion.

Leaving Saddam in place would have been a bulwark to thwart Iran. Our esteemed leaders should have known that and were probably being told that by some of the advisers or others. They should also have known the folly of nation building a nation of disparate tribes and serious religious animosities.