News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football 2015

Started by grumbler, April 12, 2015, 10:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: sbr on January 04, 2016, 10:13:56 PM
Oregon football put out a funny press release today, the first part is that "that outside linebackers coach Erik Chinander has accepted a position to become the defensive coordinator at another FBS institution."  He is following Scott Frost to Central Florida.

The second part announced that oh by the way Don Pellum, the defensive coordinator the last 2 years, will be replacing Chinander as LB coach.

By all accounts Pellum is a great guy, and has done a lot of good things for Oregon football over the last 30 years but that collapse in the Alamo Bowl may be one of the best things to happen to this program in a while; assuming they can go out and get a big time DC.

I don't know if demoting a guy is a good move...
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on January 04, 2016, 10:41:56 PM
Quote from: sbr on January 04, 2016, 10:13:56 PM
Oregon football put out a funny press release today, the first part is that "that outside linebackers coach Erik Chinander has accepted a position to become the defensive coordinator at another FBS institution."  He is following Scott Frost to Central Florida.

The second part announced that oh by the way Don Pellum, the defensive coordinator the last 2 years, will be replacing Chinander as LB coach.

By all accounts Pellum is a great guy, and has done a lot of good things for Oregon football over the last 30 years but that collapse in the Alamo Bowl may be one of the best things to happen to this program in a while; assuming they can go out and get a big time DC.

I don't know if demoting a guy is a good move...
Yeah, I can't see how that can work out in the medium or long run.

On the other hand, it is Oregon. They do things their own way.

I am long since over being surprised at their approach, and how often it actually works anyway.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

sbr

What are your concerns with the demotion, that he will be unhappy and cause problems?

Pellum has been with Oregon for over 30 years as s player and coach. Also my assumption, based on nothing, is that pellum was relieved of dc duties abd then given the choice of whether he wanted to remain on the staff or look elsewhere.

Berkut

I would be more concerned with how a new DC is going to handle the old DC still being around, and with players the old DC likely recruited, etc., etc.

Just sounds like a recipe for problems. But again, Oregon has a pretty unique culture, and they make things work that may not work elsewhere.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

sbr

Ah I didn't even consider that angle. That could be a potential problem.

grumbler

Greg Mattison was Brady Hoke's DC and was the only staff member retained when Harbaugh came, taking a demotion to DL coach.  It has worked out super well, and when Durkin left to become Maryland's head coach, Matty just moved up, temporarily, to DC for the bowl game against Florida (and, yeah, that seemed to work as well! :) ).  In doing so, Mattison allowed Michigan to hold off hiring Durkin's replacement until they could get the guy they wanted.

Matty has said he actually prefers to be a position coach, and prefers the DL above other positions.  So, these sorts of things can work, and work well.

BTW, Jim Harbaugh just finished his fifth year as a D-1 coach and just sent his sixth coordinator to be a D-1 head coach.  He's not just a quarterback whisperer.  Any rising coordinator's gotta think the road to a head coach job is shortest through Harbaugh.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: sbr on January 05, 2016, 11:39:59 AM

It is pretty freaking rare but I might see it happening in a situation like the one grumbler described.

It is the same reason when a new Head Coach comes in he never rehires the old guy as a coordinator.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

To our Texas contingent...Manny Diaz became Miami's defensive coordinator a few days ago. Awesome hire or really awesome hire?  :P :P :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on January 05, 2016, 03:33:19 PM
Quote from: sbr on January 05, 2016, 11:39:59 AM

It is pretty freaking rare but I might see it happening in a situation like the one grumbler described.

It is the same reason when a new Head Coach comes in he never rehires the old guy as a coordinator.

I would assume this fellow is sufficiently humbled by being fired from the DC position not to cause any problems, but obviously I have no idea. The AD just might, though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on January 05, 2016, 04:08:42 PM
To our Texas contingent...Manny Diaz became Miami's defensive coordinator a few days ago. Awesome hire or really awesome hire?  :P :P :P

He has been great everywhere where Mack Brown was not his boss so here is hoping it works out. I think assistant coaches need the right chemistry to succeed. Sort of like how Greg Robinson looked like a defensive genius during his 1.75 seasons under Mack.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

MadBurgerMaker

Wasn't he at Mississippi State?  56th in overall defense, 53rd against the pass, 65th against the run, according to CBS. 

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 05, 2016, 04:22:56 PM
Wasn't he at Mississippi State?  56th in overall defense, 53rd against the pass, 65th against the run, according to CBS. 

I thought he was at La Tech? Either way that is respectable. If his 2012 defense was that good at Texas they would have gone far.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on January 05, 2016, 04:24:41 PM
I thought he was at La Tech? Either way that is respectable. If his 2012 defense was that good at Texas they would have gone far.

He was at LaTech for a year right after being fired by Mack, then ended up back at Miss State.  Only one year at a time everywhere except Texas and Middle Tennessee State.  Hm. 

E:  As DC, I mean.

alfred russel

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 05, 2016, 04:27:05 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 05, 2016, 04:24:41 PM

He was at LaTech for a year right after being fired by Mack, then ended up back at Miss State.  Only one year at a time everywhere except Texas and Middle Tennessee State.  Hm. 

E:  As DC, I mean.

But all the moves make sense. Every jump was a big promotion, except after getting fired by Texas of course.

Eddie Teach

And Mississippi St to Miami.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?