And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football 2015

Started by grumbler, April 12, 2015, 10:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 05, 2016, 04:40:39 PM
And Mississippi St to Miami.

I know it is fun to crap on Miami, but Miami is a good gig. Mississippi State is a decidedly low tier SEC school--probably in the worst position in its division.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

That makes it a more challenging position, not an inferior one.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 05, 2016, 05:16:51 PM

Being in Starkville as opposed to Miami makes it an inferior position.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: dps on January 05, 2016, 05:18:55 PM

You could say the same about Tuscaloosa.

alfred russel

Miami has won 5 national titles since 1980 and a bunch of big games. Recent performance notwithstanding, Miami should be competing to win the ACC much more often than Mississippi State competing to win the SEC.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Eddie Teach

SEC schools have unreasonable expectations, so they all expect their coaches to be competing to win the SEC every year. Past titles notwithstanding, I doubt there will be any more pressure put on him at Miami than Mississippi St.

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 05, 2016, 06:38:37 PM
SEC schools have unreasonable expectations, so they all expect their coaches to be competing to win the SEC every year. Past titles notwithstanding, I doubt there will be any more pressure put on him at Miami than Mississippi St.

How does that get back to Mississippi State not being an inferior position?

Eddie Teach

He's no longer got Alabama, LSU and Auburn every year? By some metrics, this is a step down. It may be a more pleasant job, but it's also easier.

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 05, 2016, 06:51:31 PM
He's no longer got Alabama, LSU and Auburn every year? By some metrics, this is a step down. It may be a more pleasant job, but it's also easier.

I don't think playing a bunch of elite programs in a second tier program with a fanbase with unrealistic expectations makes the job a better one.

Also, trust me on this, expectations at Miami are not lower than at Mississippi State--they are much higher. There may be empty stadiums, but the fanbase is very quick to turn on coaches. Including the NFL alumni. The fanbase--I think realistically--expects to get back to competing for national titles.

MadBurgerMaker

Larry Coker resigned as head coach of UTSA.  Overall, he went 26-32 with a conference record of 15-15. 

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 05, 2016, 05:35:24 PM
Quote from: dps on January 05, 2016, 05:18:55 PM

You could say the same about Tuscaloosa.

You could indeed. I have no idea why kids want to go there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 05, 2016, 07:46:20 PM
Larry Coker resigned as head coach of UTSA.  Overall, he went 26-32 with a conference record of 15-15. 

So a new Head Coach will lead UTSA against the might Aggies next season  :ph34r:

I hope they realize they are carrying the honor of the UT system on their shoulders.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: alfred russel on January 05, 2016, 07:12:45 PMThe fanbase--I think realistically--expects to get back to competing for national titles.

Going to some games would be a good start. Recruiting is harder when the seats are empty.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on January 05, 2016, 07:12:45 PM
The fanbase--I think realistically--expects to get back to competing for national titles.
There's a lot of talk among the Michigan fanbase that next year is the NC year.  Harbaugh belief is hard to resist. I'm getting psyched myself.  It's definitely possible.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!