News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football 2015

Started by grumbler, April 12, 2015, 10:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: alfred russel on November 28, 2015, 04:10:47 PM
I have seen the play and I am aware that the dude way off the ball was running to the right.

The bottom line is that I don't think the victory formation is an effective one to run plays out off. The formation is designed to minimize the chance of a catastrophe while voluntarily taking  one yard loss--not to maximize chances of generating offense. It is a formation that defenses are used to lining up against (eg, at the end of halves) when you need to be alert for trick plays.

And yet they ran a neat little play out of it that was quite effective even when the defense wasn't standing around like they typically do in V formation situations, and even if it had been stopped by one of the two DBs.  They needed more points with the way the game was going, but just running clock at that point isn't a bad thing for them either.  They would have still had two more shots at a first down even if it didn't work (unless shit happens and they fumble which is a risk on every play) and they weren't exactly hurting for offense.  No one is saying they should run their whole offense out of the V formation or whatever silliness, but there's nothing wrong with crazy trick plays every now and then, and there certainly wasn't anything wrong with this one.

They almost got unlucky with the penetration by the DL, he just happened to come through the line next to the little dude instead of right in his face.  He saw him and turned to chase him immediately but obviously isn't fast enough to run a speed guy like that down.  That would have been maybe a yard loss.  The way it was run, they would have lost maybe 2 or 3 yards max if he had been caught when trying to run around the OL unless he started running backwards or something. It wasn't a high risk play, especially as far as trick plays go.

E:  USC just got the lead back.  Auburn leading Bama early. 

Eddie Teach

Hadn't noticed 'til now what a crap season Georgia Tech's had.  :D

Shame Ganus bailed them out of getting shut out with that stupid taunting penalty.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadBurgerMaker

They started out in the top 15 of the stupid preseason polls, didn't they?

dps

Quote from: Valmy on November 28, 2015, 03:52:10 PM
Quote from: dps on November 28, 2015, 03:37:24 PM
Just watched WVU defeat their traditional rival, Iowa State.

I hate it that WVU is in the Big 12.

In a few decades it will be your traditional rival. Hey we wanted to take Pitt as well but they leveraged their invite into getting an ACC invite.

You really think the current conference lineup is going to last a few decades?  I don't give it half a dozen years.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 28, 2015, 05:02:29 PM
They started out in the top 15 of the stupid preseason polls, didn't they?

Close. 16 in AP, 17 in Coaches poll.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

Cocks making Clemson look bad.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: dps on November 28, 2015, 05:05:24 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 28, 2015, 03:52:10 PM

In a few decades it will be your traditional rival. Hey we wanted to take Pitt as well but they leveraged their invite into getting an ACC invite.

You really think the current conference lineup is going to last a few decades?  I don't give it half a dozen years.

We'll see.

When our grandchildren are asked why Iowa State plays West Virginia the Saturday after Thanksgiving the answer shall be:

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Valmy on November 28, 2015, 07:30:49 PM

When our grandchildren are asked why Iowa State plays West Virginia the Saturday after Thanksgiving the answer shall be:

Because tornadoes vs hillbillies is too funny a matchup to not make annual.

Because the scheduling committee thought they were Southern Cal.

Because Pitt decided to start going to Florida for the winter. Pussies.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 28, 2015, 08:33:21 PM
Because Pitt decided to start going to Florida for the winter. Pussies.

I don't know if they can take the intimidating crowd playing Da U after all those years of playing West Virginia:

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Kansas became the first major conference team since Udub in 2008 to go winless.

derspiess

For football I'm not crazy about it, but where else would you put them?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on November 28, 2015, 08:41:13 PM
Kansas became the first major conference team since Udub in 2008 to go winless.

Remember when they won the damn Orange Bowl and finished in the top 10?  Not even a decade ago.

dps

Quote from: derspiess on November 28, 2015, 08:43:12 PM

For football I'm not crazy about it, but where else would you put them?

A non-emasculated Big East was fine.  Since we don't have that anymore, the ACC would be the logical choice.  Even with Maryland gone to the Big Ten, they could still have the Backyard Brawl with Pitt, and be in a conference with some other teams that they have history with, like Syracuse, VT, BC, and to a lesser extent Louisville and Miami.

derspiess

That's fine but IIRC the ACC didn't want WVU.  I think the Big12 was the only Power 5 conference that wanted them.  If they hadn't taken that offer they'd be stuck in the All American Conference most likely.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: derspiess on November 28, 2015, 10:59:59 PM
That's fine but IIRC the ACC didn't want WVU.  I think the Big12 was the only Power 5 conference that wanted them.  If they hadn't taken that offer they'd be stuck in the All American Conference most likely.

Yeah, that's probably right, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.