News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football 2015

Started by grumbler, April 12, 2015, 10:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Tuscaloosa wasn't built in a day.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on November 28, 2015, 01:50:45 PM
But it's not his fault for not turning things around despite the enormous resources he has available to him.  Right???

I don't have statistics, but my gut feeling is that for coaches taking over major programs and posting losing records their first two years, the prognosis is not good for the rest of their tenure. Which tends to be short.

Eddie--Saban's records in his second year:

Michigan State: 6-6
LSU: 10-3
Alabama: 12-2
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Enjoyed watching Baylor and TCU flail around in the rain yesterday.

Even accounting for domes, isn't it weird how few games are played in heavy rain?

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on November 28, 2015, 01:50:45 PM
But it's not his fault for not turning things around despite the enormous resources he has available to him.  Right???

The former AD was a penny pincher so refused to pay for quality control coaches, refused to pay for the offensive coordinators he wanted, and fired his PR guy. Then he cut benefits to the coaches and refused to pay for walkon's meals. So I suspect at most schools he would have had more resources actually. Nobody was winning at Texas when Patterson was in charge, dude was the worst AD ever.

But I have no idea what you are bitching about. Strong's seat is pretty scorching hot.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 28, 2015, 02:12:40 PM
Quality control coaches?? :unsure:

Yeah coaches who help with scouting and such but do not actually interact with the players.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 28, 2015, 02:07:06 PM
Enjoyed watching Baylor and TCU flail around in the rain yesterday.

Even accounting for domes, isn't it weird how few games are played in heavy rain?

Or snow. This is supposed to be a bad weather game. It's just wrong in the sunshine with perfect traction.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on November 28, 2015, 01:10:42 PM
I think that may be a low moment in Texas football history.

LOLZ if only. MAYBE bottom 10 this season. Actually I was not entirely bummed about that, it meant Tech couldn't run any time off the clock and gave Texas another chance. But they were not able to recover the onside kick so there we are.

But that is what happens when you hire one of those defensive hacks from the State of Florida. They obviously don't know shit about football in that state.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: katmai on November 27, 2015, 08:21:29 PM
What cockeyed world are we in where TCU and Baylor are the marquee teams from Texas??

Texas Tech ran what may have been the stupidest trick play I've ever seen in college football (Chuck Pagano established a class by himself). With 3 minutes to go in a one score game, they lined up in the victory formation. 100% give away it is a trick play--why would you ever kneel down with that much time left? It is also a highly ineffective formation to actually run a play out of.

As dumb as that was, Texas responded to sticking its thumb up its ass and surrendering a 50+ yard touchdown.

I'm not sure you actually watched that play.  They lined up like that specifically to hide the guy they wanted to run the ball, and he scored not because everyone was standing around doing nothing because of the victory formation or whatever, but because they just couldn't make a tackle despite being in position to do so, which is a continuing problem with the Texas defense regardless of the formation the O lines up in.

Valmy

Compared to Texas Tech's tackling they looked like pros.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on November 28, 2015, 02:16:01 PM

LOLZ if only. MAYBE bottom 10 this season. Actually I was not entirely bummed about that, it meant Tech couldn't run any time off the clock and gave Texas another chance. But they were not able to recover the onside kick so there we are.

But that is what happens when you hire one of those defensive hacks from the State of Florida. They obviously don't know shit about football in that state.

I actually wasn't trying to run down the University of Texas, but the state of texas.  :P Not sure if that is better from your point of view, but things get ambiguous when your school goes by the same name as the state.

I'm just dumbfounded that Texas Tech ran that play, and even more dumbfounded it worked.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on November 28, 2015, 02:22:30 PM
Compared to Texas Tech's tackling they looked like pros.

THAT is true.  Holy shit.  I knew they had a bad defense but damn. 

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on November 28, 2015, 02:23:55 PM
I'm just dumbfounded that Texas Tech ran that play, and even more dumbfounded it worked.  :P

I wasn't. Our team is not very bright.

alfred russel

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 28, 2015, 02:16:26 PM

I'm not sure you actually watched that play.  They lined up like that specifically to hide the guy they wanted to run the ball, and he scored not because everyone was standing around doing nothing because of the victory formation or whatever, but because they just couldn't make a tackle despite being in position to do so, which is a continuing problem with the Texas defense regardless of the formation the O lines up in.

I of course watched the play.  :)

I still don't get it though. If Texas couldn't make a tackle, why not just line up and run a normal play? Why line up in a formation that should fool no one, and effectively only play with 10 people (because the RB lined up as a safety in the play is out of the play before it even begins)?

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on November 28, 2015, 02:27:17 PM

I wasn't. Our team is not very bright.

I liked how, I didn't catch the numbers, the two DBs that were directly in front of him ended up taking each other out of the play.  Well the one to the inside of the field took the guy who was on the sidelines out by essentially blocking him instead of staying a bit out and not allowing the tiny dude to just run by.