And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football 2015

Started by grumbler, April 12, 2015, 10:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: alfred russel on November 28, 2015, 02:27:36 PM
I of course watched the play.  :)

I still don't get it though. If Texas couldn't make a tackle, why not just line up and run a normal play? Why line up in a formation that should fool no one, and effectively only play with 10 people (because the RB lined up as a safety in the play is out of the play before it even begins)?

It seems to be confusing you quite a bit for something so simple.  It's a trick running play.  Even if it gets stopped, which it should have been, it still runs the clock.  Trick plays can have big upside though.  Everyone rolled to the opposite side, but it didn't clear everyone out like they probably hoped since it left him with no blockers out front and there were defenders there pretty quickly.  A DL couldn't catch little dude, two DBs dumbassed their way out of the play.  No one else could catch him. 

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 28, 2015, 02:29:45 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 28, 2015, 02:27:17 PM

I wasn't. Our team is not very bright.

I liked how, I didn't catch the numbers, the two DBs that were directly in front of him ended up taking each other out of the play.  Well the one to the inside of the field took the guy who was on the sidelines out by essentially blocking him instead of staying a bit out and not allowing the tiny dude to just run by.

They always are running around clueless. Texas is such a poorly coached team. The funny thing is they shattered the team record for GPA so Strong at least has that going for him. If he didn't no way he could survive this year.

On the plus side I never paid more than $25.00 for any ticket this year and went to every home game. I had a shit load of fun this year at least.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on November 28, 2015, 02:33:57 PM
They always are running around clueless. Texas is such a poorly coached team. The funny thing is they shattered the team record for GPA so Strong at least has that going for him. If he didn't no way he could survive this year.

On the plus side I never paid more than $25.00 for any ticket this year and went to every home game. I had a shit load of fun this year at least.

Some very derpy moments.  I never did get to get up there for a game this year.  The crowd that showed up to the games seemed much better than what it used to be like, even with the lower attendance numbers due to suckage and whatnot. 

alfred russel

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 28, 2015, 02:31:16 PM

It seems to be confusing you quite a bit for something so simple.  It's a trick running play.  Even if it gets stopped, which it should have been, it still runs the clock.  Trick plays can have big upside though.  Everyone rolled to the opposite side, but it didn't clear everyone out like they probably hoped.  A DL couldn't catch little dude, two DBs dumbassed their way out of the play.  No one else could catch him.

This is what is confusing me.

Texas Tech wants to run a misdirection running play? I totally get that. Hide a tiny running back behind some massive dudes to make it tough to pick up on the misdirection? I totally get that too.

Line up in victory formation with a deep safety? That I don't get. What is the purpose of the deep safety?
-if you think Texas will be fooled into thinking you will take a knee, that is stupid. Texas should know that won't happen.
-if you think Texas won't be fooled, get the guy up on the line so he can help block. Or line him up as a WR on the right side of the formation, so Texas has to cover him and shift the defense to that side, while you run to the left.

It seems to me that Texas Tech effectively ran a 10 man play, that would deserve massive ridicule had Texas stuffed it as the rightfully should have, but somehow it went for a touchdown.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: alfred russel on November 28, 2015, 02:43:13 PM

This is what is confusing me.

Texas Tech wants to run a misdirection running play? I totally get that. Hide a tiny running back behind some massive dudes to make it tough to pick up on the misdirection? I totally get that too.

Line up in victory formation with a deep safety? That I don't get. What is the purpose of the deep safety?
-if you think Texas will be fooled into thinking you will take a knee, that is stupid. Texas should know that won't happen.
-if you think Texas won't be fooled, get the guy up on the line so he can help block. Or line him up as a WR on the right side of the formation, so Texas has to cover him and shift the defense to that side, while you run to the left.

It seems to me that Texas Tech effectively ran a 10 man play, that would deserve massive ridicule had Texas stuffed it as the rightfully should have, but somehow it went for a touchdown.

It was to cause confusion, dude.  They put the guys back there to fuck with the defenders and give them something else to look at, then clustered up everyone else against the C.  When they all took off in the opposite direction that the midget was going to go, it looked like it was going to be some fucked up weirdo option type play, then tiny dude that is hard to see in the mess comes running out of there with the ball (too late for the DL who saw him after getting through the OL), and the DBs that got back in front of him fucked themselves up.  Even if Texas stuffed it, it's still just a running play and burns some clock.  It's not like they tried some crazy flea flicker throw that would have stopped the clock.

You have to ask Kliff why he decided to run it vs. just a regular running play.  Probably because there is no real difference vs just a regular run.  The Texas D was giving up like 7-8 on the ground with regular runs anyway.  Maybe he just wanted to do something different.

MadImmortalMan

Ezekiel Elliot can say whatever the hell he wants.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 28, 2015, 02:46:07 PM
Probably because there is no downside

I give up.  :lol:

How can you not see the downside? They ran a play in which only 10 offensive players could contribute? Texas Tech basically went a man down on that play in order to try to confuse Texas before the snap, with a ruse that never should have confused them.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

MadBurgerMaker

If you don't understand that the downsides for that play at that time are the exact same as for every other running play, maybe it's best that you give up.

E:  Seriously, this is not complicated.  It gets stuffed.  Okay 2nd down, clock is still rolling.  Any other running play gets stuffed and the same thing happens.

Valmy

The humiliating part was that Texas had the ball down by 3 with a few minutes left against possible the most inept defense in NCAA history, with a running back averaging over 12 yards a carry and failed to score. Of course they did. Because they are losers and they find ways to lose.

The bumbling embarrassment on the trick play was just icing on the cake. Of course after that THEN they went right down and scored.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

MadBurgerMaker

I think it was Strong who said that 4th down call was supposed to be a slant, but then Norvell said it wasn't or some such.  Kind of weird.

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 28, 2015, 03:06:16 PM
I think it was Strong who said that 4th down call was supposed to be a slant, but then Norvell said it wasn't or some such.  Kind of weird.

The fact that was anything but Swoopes (or Warren) up the middle is just sad. Texas Tech wasn't stopping anything on the ground. Swoopes is inaccurate and horrible throwing the ball on top of that. But hey there is a reason Strong and company are 10-14 through 24 games.

MadBurgerMaker

Meh, I'm not too worried about pass vs run there, just that particular pass to Daje Johnson of all receivers.   They had just completed a pass (to Burt, I think, who is legitimately good) for what would have been a first down that got negated by OL down the field. 

alfred russel

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 28, 2015, 03:00:06 PM
If you don't understand that the downsides for that play at that time are the exact same as for every other running play, maybe it's best that you give up.

I generally believe that if the rulebook allows you to use 11 guys on a play, you maximize your chances by using all 11. As a coach, if you only use 10 because one has lined up in a position that will make it difficult to contribute, you have increased the risk of a negative play and decreased the chance of a positive one. Ie: there is downside to the formation.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: alfred russel on November 28, 2015, 03:09:14 PM
I generally believe that if the rulebook allows you to use 11 guys on a play, you maximize your chances by using all 11. As a coach, if you only use 10 because one has lined up in a position that will make it difficult to contribute, you have increased the risk of a negative play and decreased the chance of a positive one. Ie: there is downside to the formation.

Oh noes they lose a yard!  That has never happened in the history of ever on running plays!  I don't know how they could have overcome such a crushing blow.  And the clock is still rolling btw. 

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 28, 2015, 03:08:51 PM
Meh, I'm not too worried about pass vs run there, just that particular pass to Daje Johnson of all receivers.   They had just completed a pass (to Burt, I think, who is legitimately good) for what would have been a first down that got negated by OL down the field. 

It is Swoopes. He is maybe 50% when the receiver is wide open. He is an unstoppable monster when he runs though and Tech cannot tackle. But it hardly matters. Texas finds ways to lose.