News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football 2015

Started by grumbler, April 12, 2015, 10:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

That house divided stuff annoys me. If you really cared that much, why wouldn't you marry another spouse? And if you don't, why are you advertising that you are a "house divided"?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

MadImmortalMan

Are you seriously suggesting that college team fandom should be a factor in who you marry?  :lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 04, 2015, 09:01:14 PM
Are you seriously suggesting that college team fandom should be a factor in who you marry?  :lol:

Not really, but a marriage is at the end of a long process of asking out, dating, meeting family, etc. There are 300m people in the country, you have options: if you are a die hard Alabama fan, why would you start down that process with a die hard Auburn fan?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: alfred russel on November 04, 2015, 09:12:41 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 04, 2015, 09:01:14 PM

Not really, but a marriage is at the end of a long process of asking out, dating, meeting family, etc. There are 300m people in the country, you have options: if you are a die hard Alabama fan, why would you start down that process with a die hard Auburn fan?

Because lots of future football bets resulting in bedroom punishment sessions?

Though I'd hope the Auburn fan is the sub.  :P

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on November 04, 2015, 09:12:41 PM
There are 300m people in the country, you have options:

Why limit yourself to other Americans?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 04, 2015, 08:47:55 PM

The girl went with Bama while the boy went with Auburn. How Oedipal.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on November 04, 2015, 08:58:51 PM
That house divided stuff annoys me. If you really cared that much, why wouldn't you marry another spouse? And if you don't, why are you advertising that you are a "house divided"?

Because it is fun? I presume the sort of Bama fan that would marry an Auburn fan is not the type that is poisoning trees. My mother went to OU so my parents are a house divided. Though actually she got her Masters at Texas so I guess she is a person divided.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on November 04, 2015, 09:57:32 PM

Alternatively, in that family Auburn is butch and Bama is fem.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 04, 2015, 10:00:12 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 04, 2015, 09:57:32 PM

That is a pretty girlie looking butch woman but hey who am I to judge?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 04, 2015, 10:00:12 PM

Yeah maybe junior knows more than we do.  :lol:

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on November 04, 2015, 09:58:37 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 04, 2015, 08:58:51 PM

Because it is fun? I presume the sort of Bama fan that would marry an Auburn fan is not the type that is poisoning trees. My mother went to OU so my parents are a house divided. Though actually she got her Masters at Texas so I guess she is a person divided.

My father went to FSU and my mother to Miami.

Anyway, let me start over. A big part of the fun (at least for me) is going to a Miami tailgate and having a group of strangers sharing food and drinks, and becoming elated watching FSU struggle on some shitty TV someone brought with occasional comments about how FSU is some sort of corrupt and sham institution. Us vs. them, goodguys vs. badguys. A rival fan walking by will probably get mild heckling, and if they hang around to give some back, they will get heckled a bit more and probably leave with a free beer and a request to "take it easy on us".

A couple wandering in to the tailgate "a house divided" is putting themselves front and center while also breaking down the suspension of disbelief. Whichever tailgate you go to, the rival spouse should wear neutral or cover up and generally stay low key regarding supporting the rival.

Ed Anger

I'd never marry a Penn State gal. Yuck.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive