Dutch Muslim Students Resist Holocaust Education

Started by jimmy olsen, April 07, 2015, 12:51:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 09, 2015, 08:06:13 PM
Quote from: Tyr on April 09, 2015, 08:03:47 PM
It wouldn't necessarily be anti-semitic to agree with that. Its a pretty commonly repeated moan the world over that well connected rich old white dudes (of which Jews do make up a rather disproportionately large chunk) have too much power.

What kind of survey questions would you be happy with?

They seem reasonable to me.  I mean what form does antisemitism take?  Jews as manipulators, Jews as traitors, Jews as greedy, etc.  If you were to ask questions about blacks you would use different questions to reflect negative stereotypes associated with African Americans.  Are blacks lazy?  Are they stupid? Are they violent? etc.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

By the way, how did Americans score on that poll?

Martinus

Speaking of antisemitism, Marine Le Pen now wants to kick her father out of the party for his recent antisemitic interview.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 09, 2015, 08:50:18 PM
I don't understand why false positives are more relevant than false negatives

Because
A: that's what the poll is actually giving.
B: it's a lot worse to throw around labels like anti Semite with people that don't deserve them than to miss calling someone an anti Semite

I don't see any questions that referred to "some Jews
."  They all asked about "Jews."
Exactly the problem.
"Jews hold too much power in business"- the only sensible way to jnterprate it is some Jews. Which is true and pretty uncontroversial. There are quite a few Jewish 1%ers.
Yet here they're taking someone shrugging and going "errr I guess" to this question as being a raging anti Semite who believes in the old tales of Jews all working together to dominate business on all levels.
How do you know what the vast majority of Europeans think about Jews?
I've lived there and seriously, in Europe Jews are a total non-issue. They aren't anywhere near as visible as in the US. Most don't even realise or care that our famous Jews are Jewish.
In more neutral polls where people are asked what the worlds problems are then maybe Israel will pop up sometimes but Jews? No.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

23% makes sense I think. In Japan every day is Kristallnacht. Which is all kinds of fucked up.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Brain on April 10, 2015, 01:30:27 AM
23% makes sense I think. In Japan every day is Kristallnacht. Which is all kinds of fucked up.
Eh, the Japanese mostly admire the Jews for secretly running the world and want to emulate them.

I'm surprised by the Korean numbers, most Koreans I've talked are barely aware Jews exist.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 10, 2015, 01:41:16 AM
I'm surprised by the Korean numbers, most Koreans I've talked are barely aware Jews exist.

It is pretty obvious the fact that that poll claims 53% of South Koreans are anti-Semitic casts doubt on its viability. I mean that is just stupid.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Vaguely anti-semitic attitudes seem to be rampant in Argentina, but it mostly involves them being the butt of jokes.  It's a relatively safe place for Jews unless some Iran-sponsored group gets in there and blows something up.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on April 10, 2015, 11:18:03 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 10, 2015, 01:41:16 AM

It is pretty obvious the fact that that poll claims 53% of South Koreans are anti-Semitic casts doubt on its viability. I mean that is just stupid.

Is this because of your encyclopedic knowledge of anti-Semitism or your finger on the pulse of Korean life?  It may be possible that the traditional pejoratives Europeans use are seen differently in East Asia then they are in Poland.  For instance "are Jews more loyal to Israel then the country they live in" might very well be natural to Koreans who would expect Korean-Americans to be more loyal to Korea then the US.  On the other hand, relentless negative press that Israel gets probably pushes up the numbers all over the world.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on April 10, 2015, 11:58:21 AM

Is this because of your encyclopedic knowledge of anti-Semitism or your finger on the pulse of Korean life?

Well for one South Korean government is one of the more pro-Israeli governments out there. Secondly, as Tim says, strong feelings about Jews does not really register in East Asia.

QuoteFor instance "are Jews more loyal to Israel then the country they live in" might very well be natural to Koreans who would expect Korean-Americans to be more loyal to Korea then the US.

So...not really a measure of anti-Jew prejudice then.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on April 10, 2015, 12:03:28 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 10, 2015, 11:58:21 AM

Is this because of your encyclopedic knowledge of anti-Semitism or your finger on the pulse of Korean life?

Well for one South Korean government is one of the more pro-Israeli governments out there. Secondly, as Tim says, strong feelings about Jews does not really register in East Asia.

QuoteFor instance "are Jews more loyal to Israel then the country they live in" might very well be natural to Koreans who would expect Korean-Americans to be more loyal to Korea then the US.

So...not really a measure of anti-Jew prejudice then.

I only suggested it was possible.   You can see how it breaks down here http://global100.adl.org/#country/south-korea  One thing I've read is that both Japan and S. Korea just eat up Western Conspiracy  theories.  Since many of those depict Jews as monstrous manipulators this might have influence Korean impressions.  Simply because some of the result of the poll are surprising doesn't mean the poll is wrong.

Siege

Quote from: derspiess on April 10, 2015, 11:45:29 AM
Vaguely anti-semitic attitudes seem to be rampant in Argentina, but it mostly involves them being the butt of jokes.  It's a relatively safe place for Jews unless some Iran-sponsored group gets in there and blows something up.

Latin America is very anti-semitic, not just because of the traditionl catholic view on jews, but also because of the inroads muslim immigrants have achieved in the region.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Malthus

Thing is, the polls do not really register how much the people polled care or know about the folks they are asked about.

If you have only vaguely heard of Jews before - and the only thing you know about them is a third-hand account of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion - you would rank as "anti-semitic", even though in reality, you could not really care less about Jews and never gave the topic of Jews a second thought.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

The Korean Fan Death thing still fascinates me.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall